Civil War Hunt Finds
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Civil War Hunt Finds

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    XP Deus, GPX 4500, Equinox 800, AT Max
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

Civil War Hunt Finds

I just got back from my first DIV hunt and had a ton of fun. Last summer I picked up a GPX4500 to add a pulse machine to my relic hunting arsenal. Prior to the DIV hunt I maybe had about 10 hours swinging the GPX and I sort of knew what it was telling me, but I wasn't really good with it. After walking almost 20 miles, digging 100's of holes, loading my pouch with iron and lead multiple times, by the end of day 3 I think I mostly figured it out. After about half way through the hunt I knew what those deep whispers sounded like and I was able to slowly swing through hard hit areas and pick out the faintest signals that had been missed.

I dug a nice sword scabbard tip, 7 GS buttons, assorted brass, and 3 complete dropped Shaler bullets as well as a few halves and a few fired Shalers. One of those dropped three ringers is also a Washington Arsenal Star Base, which is always a nice surprise when cleaning out the base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170330_121843~2.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	627.5 KB 
ID:	1433572

Before I combined everything for a group shot, I had kept my 3 days finds separate. From left to right is Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3. Something I learned on day 1 was don't be afraid to reopen someone else's plug when I got a sweet signal, reopened a plug and found a nice deep musket ball someone had given up on. The scabbard tip came to me in the same way as well as a few other relics... however I also learned that people like to rebury stuff like shotgun shells back into the plug they dug them from, so this also backfired a lot, but the nice stuff made up for it.

Name:	IMG_20170330_112849.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	725.7 KB 
ID:	1433571

Sword scabbard tip, buttons, knapsack brass and a kepi buckle.

Name:	IMG_20170330_121849.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	822.2 KB 
ID:	1433573

Shaler drops, fired and incomplete bits of drops.

Name:	IMG_20170330_121859.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	799.5 KB 
ID:	1433574

Lots of camp lead!

Name:	IMG_20170330_121908.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	712.1 KB 
ID:	1433575

I got to hunt with my friend metalev4 all three days. We worked a small camp area on this ridge for much of the second day and had a ton of fun pulling Shaler bits and brass from a small area. We had a lot of rain, but the storm in the background produced a lot of lightning and chased us back to the cars for a while. I actually saw a lightning strike many miles away in the valley that made my GPX go nuts the second it hit ground

Name:	IMG_20170328_142552_1~2.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	256.8 KB 
ID:	1433569

That's a coat sized GS button at the tip of my pinpointer that just came out of the tiny pocket behind the tip. It was a solid foot from my coil, through the tall clover and dirt, down to that thing. I was amazed at the power of the GPX and it was the type of signal I learned to listen for and got excited when I heard one of them.

Name:	IMG_20170329_105452.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	1433570

Another GS button right from the dirt. That emerald green patina never gets old.

Name:	IMG_20170327_114837.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	422.6 KB 
ID:	1433568

Found myself stopping to dump lead multiple times a day to keep me moving.

Name:	IMG_20170327_101529.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	562.7 KB 
ID:	1433567

And the final spot for my DIV finds in one of my displays. I have some partially reconstructed colonial\federal era bowls below this shelf and I actually got concerned loading all the lead on that glass. I found a good website that has a calculator where you put in the dimensions and distance between support points and it tells you how much load the tempered glass can hold. Apparently this shelf can hold more than 160lbs... so I need to find some more bullets.

Name:	IMG_20170330_154843.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	745.0 KB 
ID:	1433576

One of the highlights for me was to watch trash pits open up and see what was coming out. I wasnt able to locate one of my own, but I did dig a few test holes and chased some iron signals without luck. Just seeing an insane amount of cool stuff turn up was amazing though. It was an excellent event and I had an awesome time and got to meet a bunch of great people.

us
    Lee

Feb 2017
    Central Virginia
    CTX-3030
    164 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Congrats on the new machine! and even more congrats to you and the digging partner!!
    OutdoorAdv likes this.
    The time detecting with my Wife, the digging, the research and the reward. It don't get no better than that.

us
    Can you dig it.

Dec 2016
    NH
    Equinox 600 - Garrett AT MAX & ProPointer AT------- Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tesoro Mojave, Wilson C&R 4
    1087 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Wow. Great pictures and write up. Thanks for sharing.

us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    17th century
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    13067 times
    FOUNDING MEMBER: Basstards of Bramble
    Banner Finds (6)
    We haven't had a chance to chat since you DIV hunt, but I read every word of your post and what an awesome hunt bro! Cooool.

I must say you dug more lead than I've ever seen. I know your style and have always been inspired by how hard you work detecting. I wish there was a counter on how many yards of soil you moved while hunting. I'm glad to hear the GPX performed and you cleaned up.

Killer hunt and Post dude!

I must say those Shaler bullets are killer!
    OutdoorAdv likes this.

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 14
    Transitional US State Coppers - 9
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 131
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 107
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - We’ll over a 1000

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C &. Crosby-1B
    1749 Regal King George II Farthing
    1776 Counter King George iii

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
    We haven't had a chance to chat since you DIV hunt, but I read every word of your post and what an awesome hunt bro! Cooool.

I must say you dug more lead than I've ever seen. I know your style and have always been inspired by how hard you work detecting. I wish there was a counter on how many yards of soil you moved while hunting. I'm glad to hear the GPX performed and you cleaned up.

Killer hunt and Post dude!

I must say those Shaler bullets are killer!
    Thanks man! I wasnt kidding... I think I pinched a nerve in my hip from hiking and always having 10lbs of lead and iron slamming into me each time I dug a hole... even when I dumped it, it still seemed to weigh a ton.

I'm not well versed on CW history, so I may be wrong here, but I believe the Shalers sucked and therefore were disliked... so they're uncommon. The idea was that the 3 pieces would separate when fired... like an accurate shotgun with 3 slugs in it. However, I dug a couple fired Shalers with the top and middle piece impacted into one another... so they obviously didn't separate. Now imagine trying to pull one of those from a misfire or fowled barrel. 3 times the effort. Makes sense why they weren't popular.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14735 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)

Name:	1 casper2Z.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	1433680
    OutdoorAdv likes this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

Charter Member
    us
    Joe

Nov 2014
    VA
    Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
    7275 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Sweet hunt! Those are some great finds and a nice post. I love to feel the weight of the lead in my pouch. The average solider carried 40 rounds, and it's no wonder that we find dropped bullets. Especially if they could see the wagons. Can you imagine what a wagon load of ammo must weight? It's no wonder they bogged down. Thanks for sharing your great hunt.

HH, RN
    OutdoorAdv and Davers like this.

us
    art

Dec 2015
    Maryland's eastern shore
    whites MXTPro whites MXSport
    13020 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Congrats on all those finds and thanks for a great post
    OutdoorAdv likes this.
    Growing old is not for sissies I thought it would take longer to get old.

Aug 2006
    564 times
    Great post Brad. You summed up the hunt well and made the most of some of the more difficult relic hunting conditions. Had a great time hunting with you. I agree, nothing like green brass in red dirt.
    OutdoorAdv likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Relic Hunter & Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mar 2011
    Shenandoah Valley
    Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
    1308 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Excellent!
    OutdoorAdv likes this.
    "A land without ruins is a land without memories -- a land without memories is a land without history." ~ Rev. Abram Joseph Ryan, Poet Laureate of the Confederacy

My YouTube channel

Amazon author's page

RelicsandBones.com

Facebook

Descended from Patriots & Rabble-Rousers.

Looks like you had a great hunt Brad, and glad you got to meet and hunt with Evan. Now that you got that new CW stuff out of the way it's time to turn your attention back to the colonial era. Good luck man!
    OutdoorAdv likes this.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Clad Killin Relic Huntin Machine

Mar 2015
    XP Deus Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab X-Terra 705 Minelab Explorer SE Minelab e-trac Tesoro compadre Whites v3i AT Pro Teknetics Gamma 6000 Bounty Hunter Camo LS Bounty Hunt
    913 times
    Congrats on a helluva hunt!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    OutdoorAdv likes this.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by metalev4 View Post
    Great post Brad. You summed up the hunt well and made the most of some of the more difficult relic hunting conditions. Had a great time hunting with you. I agree, nothing like green brass in red dirt.
    Thanks man. It was a really great time and looking forward to doing it again man. Hopefully we can find a pit... now that I know what to listen for on the GPX, I think I'd be ready to roll from the start.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by relic nut View Post
    Sweet hunt! Those are some great finds and a nice post. I love to feel the weight of the lead in my pouch. The average solider carried 40 rounds, and it's no wonder that we find dropped bullets. Especially if they could see the wagons. Can you imagine what a wagon load of ammo must weight? It's no wonder they bogged down. Thanks for sharing your great hunt.

HH, RN
    Thanks Relic Nut! I couldn't imagine toting 40 of those things around on a 15+ mile a day march... not to mention all the other gear.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    Looks like you had a great hunt Brad, and glad you got to meet and hunt with Evan. Now that you got that new CW stuff out of the way it's time to turn your attention back to the colonial era. Good luck man!
    With the threshold of the GPX still ringing in my ears, I think I am going to take it out for a few hours this weekend. Hopefully I can apply what I learned and replicate the results at a VLF pounded site... however I might be overwhelmed by nails, but I have a renewed confidence in this machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links