Early 1800's Coins, Buttons, & Jewelry: That's a Good Day!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredibly we had more snow last night and in some areas it accumulated: one of them being my new field permisson. So I had to go to one of my fallback sites in the woods. It's just a small farmhouse cellar hole and I've been to this one three or four times; until now I hadn't found a single coin or button despite canvassing it thoroughly. I decided to try digging all of the sporadic high tones between the iron signals like I just did at my new site and apparently I need to revisit all of my old sites!

DSC09569.JPG

My favorite find by far was this bracelet:

DSC09570.JPG DSC09571.JPG

It's very heavily made and you can see the traces of gilt still left in the crevasses of the links. The metal has the same texture and patina as the 1820's flat buttons which were also gilt so I'm hoping that means the bracelet is from the same date range. Has anyone seen a piece like this before though?

DSC09572.JPG DSC09573.JPG DSC09576.JPG

For a site that hadn't produced any coins up until now, amazingly I found two large cents! I haven't cleaned them yet, but both of them look to be in great condition. One is 1839 and I'll be able to see the other's date after a peroxide treatment. The two flat buttons were in the same hole and still have a little gilt left on the backs. The reigns guide looks older than the other one I just found. Any suggestions on the age?

DSC09574.JPG DSC09575.JPG DSC09578.JPG DSC09579.JPG

Above are the two mystery pieces. The first one is brass and looks like it might be part of a locking mechanism. The other is a brass base with the iron rod coming out. I thought it might be part of a car, but the brass has the patina of an older piece so I don't know.

DSC09577.JPG DSC09580.JPG

And last, but not least, the iron relics. Naturally I found two more axe heads today. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the square edged one would be older than the rounded type? The chain is amazing, but had roots growing through the links so it was a tremendous pain to get out of the ground. The hooks and junction piece make it seem like it was meant for a particular use though. All in all a great day and I definitely need to go back to my other cellar holes and sweep the nail beds again!

Last edited:
Upvote 9

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bracelet is awesome, I wonder if you could get it re-plated?

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent found much of anything at the cellar holes i visited lately but your finds really make me want to go back and dig the squeekers. nice finds!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt
Nice photos