First attempt at Sifting draws an audience, finds lots of pottery, & other neat stuff

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First attempt at Sifting draws an audience, finds lots of pottery, & other neat stuff

Set out to the ol 1840's homestead to make an attempt at sifting.
Wanted to try an area where i previously detected some relics that were mixed in with oyster shell, pottery, iron, etc.
Was thinking this area was a trash pile, so i ended up spending 6+ hours in this 3'x5'x18" deep area.
The area actually expands out way farther, but this was all i was able to work in the direct sun.
So not long after i get started the spectators show up. And when the shaking started they all came out to see what was happening.
P4010003.JPG P4010007.JPG P4010008.JPG P4010009.JPG P4010012.JPG
There was a grassy layer followed by a couple inches of topsoil and roots, and the shell, iron, relic layer went down to about 18", and then it was a yellow white sandy dirt that did not have anything in it, so i did not have to go real deep.
Ended up digging about a 1/4 bucket of iron and square nails, and a ton of mid 1800s pottery.
Lots of it had colored design. The first pic is a huge pile of ceramics, and the second pic is just the colored pieces laid out and somewhat assorted.
P4010021.JPG P4010020.JPG P4010026.JPG P4010027.JPG
Was really hoping for more brass. Skel Key, pipe stem, some utensil handles, one tiny button, and a locks keyhole cover with crown. Saw this item a while back on tnet, is it British, anyone recognize? Also a few neat glass items.
P4010014.JPG P4010015.JPG P4010016.JPG
Mixed in with everything else was some indian pottery fragments, animal teeth, and an unfinished arrow head.
P4010022.JPG P4010023.JPG P4010024.JPG P4010025.JPG
Was an interesting experience.
P4010004.JPG P4010005.JPG P4010006.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 23

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that looks like alot of fun, good job man!

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hhaysr

Greenie
Mar 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds I like the arrowhead and the iron stuff I've done sifting with the museum I volunteer every bucket is exciting you never you what you find thanks for sharing

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to try sifting at one of the old cellar holes I found. Still a foot of snow in the woods, maybe more, we had a huge storm today and there was still snow in the woods before the storm. Awesome Finds!

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, That Looks Like Alot of fun! Wish I could get into a place like that and sift:sadsmiley:. Nice Finds Though! :thumbsup: Some really neat and decorative pieces of pottery and nice artifacts! ~TheButtonKing

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sifting trip. I knew my ex wife went to Mississippi I just didn't know you'd get a pic of her. Looks like she lost a little weight

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, can I call you Dude? This is post of the DAY fo' sho' ! I absolutely gotta' make me a sifter. Your audience is totally captivated with your awesome recovery skills. More history recovered in this process than a months worth of metal detecting. Maybe not coin shooting but, so much cool stuff and the picture it paints about the sight you are working is beautiful. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your amazing sifter and the way cool artifacts recovered. The pictures paint a thousand words and then some. I believe I saw my ex wife in there as well as another T-net member mentioned. They are loosing weight on that all grass diet. Peace. :icon_thumright:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a blast
Nice finds

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the sifting! :occasion14:

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds I like the arrowhead and the iron stuff I've done sifting with the museum I volunteer every bucket is exciting you never you what you find thanks for sharing
Thanks.
I have to try sifting at one of the old cellar holes I found. Still a foot of snow in the woods, maybe more, we had a huge storm today and there was still snow in the woods before the storm. Awesome Finds!
A cellar hole sounds like a good spot to try. I want to try a spot that doesnt have any grass.
Man, That Looks Like Alot of fun! Wish I could get into a place like that and sift:sadsmiley:. Nice Finds Though! :thumbsup: Some really neat and decorative pieces of pottery and nice artifacts! ~TheButtonKing
Thanks.
I'd find that more relaxing than fishing !
Thanks for posting......hope you share further forays.
Thanks.
Nice sifting trip. I knew my ex wife went to Mississippi I just didn't know you'd get a pic of her. Looks like she lost a little weight
Thanks. lol. Right after that 2nd pic, i yelled Dirtstalker, and she gave me that look for the third pic. I know you know that look.
Awesome finds, I could see how that would make a fella sore
Thanks. Was definitely sore last night.
Dude, can I call you Dude? This is post of the DAY fo' sho' ! I absolutely gotta' make me a sifter. Your audience is totally captivated with your awesome recovery skills. More history recovered in this process than a months worth of metal detecting. Maybe not coin shooting but, so much cool stuff and the picture it paints about the sight you are working is beautiful. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your amazing sifter and the way cool artifacts recovered. The pictures paint a thousand words and then some. I believe I saw my ex wife in there as well as another T-net member mentioned. They are loosing weight on that all grass diet. Peace. :icon_thumright:
It wouldnt be the first time i was called Dude. Thanks for the kind comment. Been waiting all week to try the new sifter.
Looks like a blast
Nice finds
Thanks. It was fun.
Nice job on the sifting! :occasion14:
Thanks Prof.

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go bone. Now thats effective, only sifted once and it was fun. Looks like good company. Luckly no bulls out there.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you gatta try to put all those pieces together like the worlds hardest crossword puzzle or one of those rubix cubes cool post!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread