Rail Road Lock! 1878 ! Old Danville Va. Line.

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She was 10 inches under a row of cedar tree and a pile of roots.
Prettiest green think I have seen!
Any extra information would be appreciated.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 17

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is one of the nicest locks I've seen on here. Perfect green patina on it too. No help on the date but congrats!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a forever keeper! Congratulations on the lock find.

I'd say it is brass? That little rusty cow tail on the bottom might clean up with electrolysis - something I have to try for the first time myself. Retirement makes me lazy too often....

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems many railroad padlocks were heart shaped in those days, very nice old find!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Sweet old lock!
I like railroad stuff like that

the iron link suffered most of all, it will probably just crumble to bits in time if you let it

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet green patina man. Love old brass locks. I think I have only recovered one myself. I love hunting under cedar trees. I have done very well around cedar for some reason. Excellent recovery mate. Peace.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beat me to it! Nice find!!! If you're going to do a restoration on it, try coating the area around the pin with the liquid electric tape or better plasti-dip. Use a thick coat, and wrap the rest of the lock in blue masking tape with a couple layers of electrical tape over that. Real tiny puffs (low pressure) with a sandblaster using ground walnut shell. I think if you use electrolysis you'll end up blowing the pin out. Go slow! You've got a great lock that'll restore very nicely. I can show you several brass locks the I blew it on using electrolysis, and ended up having to over clean them to even them out. Another thing this helps with is it won't loosen or eat up the pin for the key! Best way I've found. If you need to touch the brass up you can use liver of sulphur to even out boo boos. hope this gives you some good ideas!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Thats a pretty sweet lock. :occasion14:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet RR lock!!
I found a railroad lock for a local railroad here and talk about blowing your ears out.
Congrats!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Nice one indeed.
Of the 3 locks of that type that I have dug all were /are Iron; Including the one I found yesterday.
Ill take'em Brass or Iron tho.
Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try www.antique-padlocks.com works fine. nice site! Beats thumbing through Padlock Collector looking!! Looks like it's locked & not updated, but lots of good info Thanks!!

The 'Padlock' site will not come up for me either , just a "site name" background. ???

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful lock
Congratulations

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'Padlock' site will not come up for me either , just a "site name" background. ???
Do a cut & paste of the link, delete everything after .com and it'll come up. the rest after .com is for a page that is no longer there. Works fine that way! Been on there three times looking for locks that aren't in my books. Check out their links if you restore or like to impression keys for your locks. Found a jig there that beats my nails in a board jig!

Thanks again for the link OP!!!! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
JccEldreth

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do a cut & paste of the link, delete everything after .com and it'll come up. the rest after .com is for a page that is no longer there. Works fine that way! Been on there three times looking for locks that aren't in my books. Check out their links if you restore or like to impression keys for your locks. Found a jig there that beats my nails in a board jig!

Thanks again for the link OP!!!! :icon_thumright:
Boogeyman, it brothers me that the key hole on my lock does not match the key hole in the catalogue or sites.
Can you I lighten me? Maybe a latter model of the 87? I know there is 3 versions of it, but I don't see any with the Crocked key hole. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread