Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new acquisition! If you don't mind me asking, and I'm no mining/excavation expert mind you...but why would someone abandon a mine with 3 Oz per ton concentration? That's a very generous number! But we wish you the best of luck, and hope to see the fruits of your labor posted! Thx..Ddf

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My best guess is based on the location; if it was abandoned a long time ago; they either took all the gold the could carry and left the ore that would need to be processed or they just did not have access to water. If we are talking a pick axe, a bucket and a mule, it is a long way to water for even panning. I would assume they found lode gold in big nuggets in the mineshaft that made them more than happy enough to not carry tons of ore 200 miles to the nearest water source. It is in the middle of endless desert.

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Life is too short to ask why its there. I am of the opinion that I will grab the deed and dig really fast and disappear! I will then thank God and smile. Jon

OP
OP
J

jza01701

Jun 17, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be of the opinion it is free milling ore. Though, as for percentage of gold per weight of the ore; we are not there yet. Based on the region, I am quite sure there is a good deal of micron gold to be found. If this entire vein is micron gold it would be even more uncommon than finding it at all. We shall see. I am thinking there is visible gold and both silver and gold ore. Whether they are combined and need to be separated is most likely their origin to the main vein. It is definitely a whole bunch of things. I think if I dig more than a few feet I will have more than one classification. There is a lot of geological variables in a small area. Depends which way your pointing at it really. Some of this, some of that. The best part is it is all easily worked and accessible. Who knows, I am a hobbyist too and certainly would prefer to listen to any experts instead of claiming to be one. I will know more when I dig. XRF testing is only one analysis. Probably need to assay a nice sample for sure. I am going to a good bit of dry washing too. Take care.

sgtled3533

Apr 12, 2016
Fresno, Ca
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher gold bug pro/DP, fisher gold bug 2, Garrett ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where did the "3 oz/ton" information come from? And yeah the others are right: the old timers rarely left good mines like that (especially 3oz/ton) before wiping it clean! Even if it were in the middle of nowhere....back then, everything was in the middle of nowhere!

Well, whatever you got going on, good luck bud! I know if I had a legit mine with easy access and 3oz/ton material, I would leave my wife and child and be working that thing until it was bone dry!!! Get off Tnet and go grab your chisel and hammer [emoji375] . Post some pics of the shiney!!!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
so...wait....that gold streak in the photo is a gold vein?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread