Out chasing dreams with Indian Steve today - unusual find

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I eyeballed a nickel. That was it for coins.

This was a civil war site which had been pounded for many years. Whole lot of trash & junk. Even dug a Budwiser can 8" deep.

Then got a good solid signal - one of the very few, and dug this up from about 6" down:

Fri Apr 07 16-07-10.jpg

It is threaded internally. Showed it to Steve and he said "That's a valve stem cover for a Model 'T' "

So, I go look it up:

MODEL T A FORD METAL TIRE VALVE STEM CAPS 1928 1927 TROG STREET Rat Rod Hot | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Good gracious, how did Steve know that?

Just goes to prove we find the dangdest things.

Upvote 11

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are always neat to find, along with hubcaps and keys.

Oldhand

Feb 8, 2017
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and congrats! You solved a mystery for me. I dug one of those valve stem caps the other day and thought it was a screwdriver handle, lol.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Showed it to Steve and he said "That's a valve stem cover for a Model 'T' "....without blinking an eye....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Showed it to Steve and he said "That's a valve stem cover for a Model 'T' "....without blinking an eye....

That's it! I came home and immediately Googled that sentence and immediately came up with the link which identified it. Good gracious! Well, he's certainly more studied than I am. I'd have had to ask for an ID on "What is it?"

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds and congrats! You solved a mystery for me. I dug one of those valve stem caps the other day and thought it was a screwdriver handle, lol.

First I thought it was a lipstick cover, then saw the internal threads. Then I thought screwdriver handle. So I went over and showed it to Steve. Congratulations on yours as well :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread