Rare George Washington Halfpenny (Poll added)

What was the most impressive antic during this hunt?

• Jumping electric fences gracefully

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The jovial gibbons dance

• Sprinting away from charging cows

• None

• Total voters

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Hey, dudes, Paco and I got out to the farm today. Before we even started detecting, we decided to present the kind landowners with a gift. We presented to them a $20 gift certificate to a local restaurant....our exact words, "Enjoy a dinner on us! Thank you for being so kind to allow us to relic hunt on your property." After a further cordial dialogue, Barb had to go to church, Carl needed to feed the oinkers, and we had to do some DETECTING! hehehe

At first, we decided to relic hunt the knoll where my Flying Eagle was recovered. We detected for about 45 minutes with nothing to show for, when I heard, Paco, yell, "Large copper! 1850 cent" In an athletic fashion, I sprinted to my good bud and shook hands with him in an excited fashion, "Good job, dude! You are even good with that junky Classic ID." After further "congratulations" on my part, we detected a little more with zero signals. I stated, "Dude, how about we explore more fields on there property!" So, we ventured our way, walking like a couple of baboons through a cow pasture. A few times during our pasture detecting, we had a few cows charging at us....each time one did, I sprinted, with my detector in hand, away from the furious animal (I think I was giggling, too). With my speed, these cows had no chance in hell to catch me alive. hehehe After about an hour of exploring, I stated, "Dude, these fields are unproductive...for some reason, my "thing" is pointing me to that field...I pointed to the Colonial coin cornfield" hehehe

So, we started to venture our way towards my car to take a break. On several occasions, we had to leap over electric fences...we made it look easy....I just took one step and jumped straight over it and rolled on the ground...thank god for my athletic abilities and my detecting abilities. hehehe On our break, I pointed to the Colonial field again and stated, "We are foos (fools) if we think dat area is devoid of coins!" Foos, I say!"

After the break, we visited the field...after an hour with no sigs, I started to detect my way towards the area where we found the Colonial coins. During that unproductive hour, I, literally, was cursing out loud...thank god the landowners were about two hundred yards away. hehehe Then, I was walking up a row, acting dejected, when I got a reading that brought me to attention. In my mind, I was thinking, "Hmmm...could it be? Hmmm...would it be? Hmmm...it better be, or I'm a quittin'!" Well, the target was giving me a jumpy, but decent copper reading...it pinpointed at 3", so I dug down and there was a large, green disc in the hole. I picked it up, rubbed some dirt off, and saw Mr. Washington's mug....I, literally, yelled, "Holy sh*t! BOO-YA" I knew how rare of a coin this was. I ran to, Paco, who was about a hundred yards away..."Dude, you are going make your pants smelly...check this dude out!" It is a 1793 George Washington Halfpenny. Our happy dance this time was...the jovial gibbons dance. hahaha

Our day ended after that. Once again, it was another memorable day on some historic property.

In the red book, it is stated to be worth $220 in Fine condition and $800 in XF....I am guessing mine is worth around $500...it is the best-shaped Colonial our entire group has dug. Zoy stated, "Find of the year, so far, in our group!" I love this hobby!

*All relics were found on private property with total consent from the landowners.

Attachments

• GeorgeWashington 003.JPG
    GeorgeWashington 003.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 5,476
  • GeorgeWashington 010.JPG
    GeorgeWashington 010.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 5,454

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Re: Rare George Washington Halfpenny

Not sure I understand the language, but what a great find!! Great shape, and worth the cows chasing you!!

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Jack(IN) said:
Not sure I understand the language, but what a great find!! Great shape, and worth the cows chasing you!!

If you are around me enough, you will understand the "Dude" language. hehehe

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Now that is a nice coin! Way to go, and don't do any cow tipping while you're out there.

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTg!! bud AWSOME find!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!!

coinman66

Nov 23, 2006
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle II SL 90

Amazing find Kirk! Also a very nice gesture to buy the man`s dinner. I`d hit that place again for sure. WTG HH
Coinman66

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

DON'T CLEAN THAT COIN!!

Way to go DUDE!!

Another one for the Banner
WOW

I said that right didn't I??

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

Thanks, guys, for the replies. I am still floating on Cloud Nine! hahaha

Paco has one heck of a site! It keeps on producing!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet, sweet, find. I don't know about the rest of that BS, but I love the coin.

You mean to say those fields aren't planted in corn or beans? All pasture?

I've got a field I can't wait to hunt when the crops come down. Just a couple hundred yards from an old fort. Hoping for some oldies.

HH
Ken

OP
OP
Colonial KirkPA

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL

The area where I found the coin is planted with corn. It is tough to do, but it is well worth it. ;)

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BOOOOO YAAAAAA back to ya. Congratulations on a great find. Had to check the 2007 Redbook A Guide Book of US Coins, page 79

1793 Ship Halfpenny, Lettered Adge:

Fine $220
VF $450
EF $800
AU $1300
UNC $3000

PS: There is a plain edge too. (rare) If yours was a plain edge, the sky's the limit on the price.........Rich

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Holy crap Kirk... awesome freakin find! You SHOULD be floating on cloud nine! Great story and pics... :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

SWR said:
Old Dog said:
Kirk,
Of course it's lettered on the edge.
The US didn't reed the edges of coins until 1836.

OD

Um..it isn't a US coin ;)

Two versions of this Token was made. One plain edge and one that said:

"PAYABLE IN ANGLELSEY, LONDON, OR LIVERPOOL"

1793 WASHINGTON PORTRAIT SHIP HALFPENNY LETTERED EDGE. the prices listed are a lot lower than in kirks redbook though. although they are supposed to be prices a dealer might offer you. in the blue book it says $35 VG,$110 F,250VF,450EF,$700AU and $1650 UNC. way to go Kirk!!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

I wrote this coin on my 2007 wish list, but it wasn't me who found it! >:( hehehe So, Kirkie Jerkie, you better hand it over or I will put you in the "cross-faced chicken wing" until you cough it up! ;D hehe

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now you found a coin I would be happy to find :D

Nice work!

Tony M SE IA

Sep 25, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minealab Explorer2

Nice Find and thanks for a great story!!!!!!!!! I would have stunk my pants if i found that coin. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread