Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

View Poll Results: What was the most impressive antic during this hunt?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jumping electric fences gracefully

16 17.78%
  • The jovial gibbons dance

17 18.89%
  • Sprinting away from charging cows

36 40.00%
  • None

21 23.33%
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    us
    Apr 2007
    Colonial, PA
    White's Pro XL
    7 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Rare George Washington Halfpenny (Poll added)

Hey, dudes, Paco and I got out to the farm today. Before we even started detecting, we decided to present the kind landowners with a gift. We presented to them a $20 gift certificate to a local restaurant....our exact words, "Enjoy a dinner on us! Thank you for being so kind to allow us to relic hunt on your property." After a further cordial dialogue, Barb had to go to church, Carl needed to feed the oinkers, and we had to do some DETECTING! hehehe

At first, we decided to relic hunt the knoll where my Flying Eagle was recovered. We detected for about 45 minutes with nothing to show for, when I heard, Paco, yell, "Large copper! 1850 cent" In an athletic fashion, I sprinted to my good bud and shook hands with him in an excited fashion, "Good job, dude! You are even good with that junky Classic ID." After further "congratulations" on my part, we detected a little more with zero signals. I stated, "Dude, how about we explore more fields on there property!" So, we ventured our way, walking like a couple of baboons through a cow pasture. A few times during our pasture detecting, we had a few cows charging at us....each time one did, I sprinted, with my detector in hand, away from the furious animal (I think I was giggling, too). With my speed, these cows had no chance in hell to catch me alive. hehehe After about an hour of exploring, I stated, "Dude, these fields are unproductive...for some reason, my "thing" is pointing me to that field...I pointed to the Colonial coin cornfield" hehehe

So, we started to venture our way towards my car to take a break. On several occasions, we had to leap over electric fences...we made it look easy....I just took one step and jumped straight over it and rolled on the ground...thank god for my athletic abilities and my detecting abilities. hehehe On our break, I pointed to the Colonial field again and stated, "We are foos (fools) if we think dat area is devoid of coins!" Foos, I say!"

After the break, we visited the field...after an hour with no sigs, I started to detect my way towards the area where we found the Colonial coins. During that unproductive hour, I, literally, was cursing out loud...thank god the landowners were about two hundred yards away. hehehe Then, I was walking up a row, acting dejected, when I got a reading that brought me to attention. In my mind, I was thinking, "Hmmm...could it be? Hmmm...would it be? Hmmm...it better be, or I'm a quittin'!" Well, the target was giving me a jumpy, but decent copper reading...it pinpointed at 3", so I dug down and there was a large, green disc in the hole. I picked it up, rubbed some dirt off, and saw Mr. Washington's mug....I, literally, yelled, "Holy sh*t! BOO-YA" I knew how rare of a coin this was. I ran to, Paco, who was about a hundred yards away..."Dude, you are going make your pants smelly...check this dude out!" It is a 1793 George Washington Halfpenny. Our happy dance this time was...the jovial gibbons dance. hahaha

Our day ended after that. Once again, it was another memorable day on some historic property.

In the red book, it is stated to be worth $220 in Fine condition and $800 in XF....I am guessing mine is worth around $500...it is the best-shaped Colonial our entire group has dug. Zoy stated, "Find of the year, so far, in our group!" I love this hobby!

*All relics were found on private property with total consent from the landowners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeorgeWashington 003.JPG 
Views:	5402 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	144808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GeorgeWashington 010.JPG 
Views:	5371 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	144809  

us
    Semper Fi!

Jan 2007
    Indiana
    Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
    14 times

Re: Rare George Washington Halfpenny

Not sure I understand the language, but what a great find!! Great shape, and worth the cows chasing you!!
    "Two things are infinite, the Universe and Human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe"
    ~Albert Einstein~

us
    Apr 2007
    Colonial, PA
    White's Pro XL
    7 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack(IN)
    Not sure I understand the language, but what a great find!! Great shape, and worth the cows chasing you!!
    If you are around me enough, you will understand the "Dude" language. hehehe

us
    Apr 2007
    Austin, TX
    Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
    3 times

Now that is a nice coin! Way to go, and don't do any cow tipping while you're out there.
    It's better to be thought a fool, then open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    The definition of average is the best of the worst, and the worst of the best.

us
    Sep 2003
    Allentown Pa.
    DFX 300
    384 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

WTg!! bud AWSOME find!!!!!! i love it!!!!!!!!!
    10,000 light years from nowhere, our planet shot to pieces, people starving, and I'm gonna get us in trouble!! Whats the matter with you!?

http://www.reverbnation.com/akiaslanfear

Nov 2006
    Central Illinois
    Whites Eagle II SL 90
    9 times

Amazing find Kirk! Also a very nice gesture to buy the man`s dinner. I`d hit that place again for sure. WTG HH
    Coinman66

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    330 times

DON'T CLEAN THAT COIN!!

Way to go DUDE!!

Another one for the Banner
    WOW

I said that right didn't I??
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

us
    Apr 2007
    Colonial, PA
    White's Pro XL
    7 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Thanks, guys, for the replies. I am still floating on Cloud Nine! hahaha

Paco has one heck of a site! It keeps on producing!

Oct 2006
    Zelienople
    White's XLT
    839 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Amazing! And the coin is interesting too.
    A gentleman farmer named Floyd
    With some of his kin was annoyed
    The boys in their youth
    Did not know the truth
    And one of his tools was destroyed

us
    Apr 2007
    Colonial, PA
    White's Pro XL
    7 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SWR
    Very nice token!

Is that the plain edge or lettered edge?
    Oh, it is the Lettered edge.

us
    May 2007
    Western Colorado
    330 times

Kirk,
    Of course it's lettered on the edge.
    The US didn't reed the edges of coins until 1836.

OD
    "Everybody dies"
    "But not everybody lives."

Kas
    beep beep.

Jan 2007
    none....wish I had them all back!
    13 times

Sweet, sweet, find. I don't know about the rest of that BS, but I love the coin.

You mean to say those fields aren't planted in corn or beans? All pasture?

I've got a field I can't wait to hunt when the crops come down. Just a couple hundred yards from an old fort. Hoping for some oldies.

HH
    Ken
    I'm the friend a friend would like to have.

us
    Apr 2007
    Colonial, PA
    White's Pro XL
    7 times
    Banner Finds (1)

The area where I found the coin is planted with corn. It is tough to do, but it is well worth it.

Apr 2007
    North Carolina
    14 times

Looks pretty to me > great find
    That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much.......   Robert Lewis Stevenson

us
    Rich

May 2003
    Shamokin Pennsylvania
    White's Eagle Spectrum
    144 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

BOOOOO YAAAAAA back to ya. Congratulations on a great find. Had to check the 2007 Redbook A Guide Book of US Coins, page 79

1793 Ship Halfpenny, Lettered Adge:

Fine $220
    VF $450
    EF $800
    AU $1300
    UNC $3000

PS: There is a plain edge too. (rare) If yours was a plain edge, the sky's the limit on the price.........Rich

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links