🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got out a few days after work last week for a total of about 10 hours of hunting at a few different spots. I scored a well worn, but still ID-able King George I half penny. I also got a beautiful hand wrought complete hoe blade from a colonial site. I dug a second one at the same site, however it was broken in half. The worlds tiniest thimble also made an appearance and the hand made bricks I brought home to use in my displays. I also cleaned up a tin cup that wasnt far from the KG copper... its crushed, but old and cool looking.

IMG_20170409_154223.jpg

This is my first colonial copper of the year and its an early one. A small right facing bust with "IVS" still visible above King George. I may be able to clean the reverse some more and possibly get a date, but there's such a small date range these were made.

IMG_20170407_235710~2.jpg

I was very happy to pull this from an elbow deep hole. I put it through electrolysis this weekend and it just came out of the hot wax. There were two hand wrought nails through the neck when I dug it. I suppose they used them as the wedge in the handle. They're pretty far gone, but I have them in the garage and I might try and tumble them later on.

IMG_20170408_084220.jpg

This ax turned up at a different spot where the IHPs came from. I believe its from the second half of the 19th century and they used two bolts through the eye as a wedge in its wooden handle. The bolts are still jammed in there.

IMG_20170408_084253.jpg

This tin cup isn't the type of thing I typically keep, however I noticed it still had its handle so I decided to try and do something with it. This was close to the KG and hoe blade and I believe its also colonial and similar to the picture from "Collectors Illustrated Encyclopedia of The American Revolution". The handle is bent on the edges in the same way and its soldered in a similar fashion. I stuck it in oxalic acid for about 24 hours and it cleaned up nicely.

IMG_20170408_085136.jpg

This pocket knife was a HUGE surprise. I was looking through my iron pile yesterday and pulled out this concretion that I assumed was just a hunk of iron from something... then I noticed wood grain on it. I grabbed my tack hammer and lightly tapped it and the concretion broke off reveling a very well preserved wood handle pocket knife :headbang: I don't even remember which spot this one came from, but if I had to guess, I'd say its 1850's or so. This is the second time I've found a concretion that was protecting preserved wood. I think it might have something to do with the interaction of wood and iron in wet soil.. you can see rocks embedded like concrete in the concretion. After chipping it out and using a dental pick to clean it up, I gave it two coats of Tung Oil to solidify it.

IMG_20170408_154515.jpg

The was the best signal I heard in a while and when I saw a round thing I was thinking it was a BIG copper. I knew it wasnt another watch, but thought either a compact, however with the loop on it I was HOPEFUL it was a compass. I was able to pry it open and... compass it was! It's the most modern find of the bunch, but I was still happy to dig something so unique. It says "West Germany" on it, which helped me narrow the date range and after googling some it appears to be 1950's or so.

IMG_20170403_171542.jpg

This long skinny brass piece also came from the KG site. Its hammered on one end with a crude hole. On the other end it was cut down the middle of the square rod and split to form a Y with a small iron pin at the end of the Y. (obviously half of the Y is missing) I'm calling it a handle to a candle snuffer with a bell on it, where the bell would have pivoted between the Y split.

IMG_20170408_142050.jpg

Similar to this one, however what I found is much more basic and I cant find a less fancy one to compare it to. I'm open to any other suggestions on what it might be though.

il_340x270.1072644692_4lmf.jpg

This is the smallest thimble I've ever seen! The buttons are for size comparison. I am guessing either a child's toy, or a thimble for a 5 year old (or so) to learn sewing.

IMG_20170403_213038~2.jpg

A couple nice rose heads from the KG site that I tumbled.

IMG_20170409_112537.jpg

Better pictures of the group

IMG_20170409_154251.jpg IMG_20170409_154306.jpg
IMG_20170409_154239.jpg IMG_20170409_154244.jpg

This scythe handle with the brass ferrule attached was a cool thing to dig. I've found the pieces separate, but never still together.

IMG_20170409_154258.jpg IMG_20170409_154320.jpg

The oil lamp still has its wick in it.

IMG_20170409_154327.jpg

Its incredible to see the wood grain in this preserved pocket knife.

IMG_20170409_154331.jpg

A few pewter buttons turned up and one has a nice design on it (left of KG). Also a cool cuff sized domed tombac.

IMG_20170409_154335.jpg IMG_20170409_154346.jpg

... and the iron and trash (some is still in electrolysis and not in this post)

IMG_20170408_083441.jpg

This was a hunt from Sat April 1st using only my GPX. It wasnt enough for me to post it then, so I'm tacking it on this post. After the DIV hunt, I felt like I knew the GPX so much better and gave it another spin at a hard hit site of mine. I didn't do too bad, however I didn't take a picture of the iron and this small handful represented 4 hours of hunting. The reality is that a deep nail or a bent nail sounds just like a good target. I can tell most iron and some nails, but to hunt around a house with a GPX is a lot of digging. It shines relic hunting at DIV hunts where occupancy was limited to a brief time and not spanning 100's of years like around a house. However, I still feel like I know the machine much better now and it is awesome to have in my arsenal.

IMG_20170401_154414.jpg

One of the etched tombacs was a close match to two others I dug there in the past. They're all the same pattern, but just slightly different in their etching.

IMG_20170401_210234~2.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting everyone :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 37

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see you are proud of that haul - I would be, too...!
Great Stuff! :thumbsup:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm always impressed with the sheer amount of GOOD targets you dig up. Really great stuff, as always

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't post, Brad, you take us on a little museum tour! You also solved a mystery for me: I didn't know what my "brass ferrule" was until now. Cool beans.

Nice to see your work and all the conservation...that display is super pleasing to the eye.

I finally got out this weekend. I may post a couple of little finds later. Cheers :occasion14:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad - when you do a post you mean business .... ha! I thoroughly enjoyed another outstanding compilation of your recent adventures including a lot of interesting and seldom seen items. And nice job on some of the IDs. I'd have to say my favorites are some of the more unusual things like that early tin cup, the scythe handle, the candle snuffer handle, and the compass. Great job on both the digging and putting together this awesome post (and the electrolysis).

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great bunch of finds. Oh you said the one is a scythe handle with a brass ferrule. I have two of those I've scratched my head about for awhile trying to figure them out, just the iron part though. Can you post a photo of how it would appear on the scythe? Thanks.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Even though I get all your pics as they happen, I'm incredibly impressed all over again by your digs. Wow!

Your finds span about 150 years and so many sides of life back then. Excellent finds and nice work with that hoe - it's bloody amazing!!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great bunch of finds. Oh you said the one is a scythe handle with a brass ferrule. I have two of those I've scratched my head about for awhile trying to figure them out, just the iron part though. Can you post a photo of how it would appear on the scythe? Thanks.

Absolutely. It went something like this. The nib band went through the scythe shaft and the nut in the back of the handle tightened the ferrule on the nib band as the handle was twisted. So you could move the handle around, then twist the handle to tighten the nib back on the scythe shaft. I find the brass pieces and the nib bands, but this was the first time I found one together. Made me smile seeing it turn up!

NibComponentsLabeled.jpg
images.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't post, Brad, you take us on a little museum tour! You also solved a mystery for me: I didn't know what my "brass ferrule" was until now. Cool beans.

Nice to see your work and all the conservation...that display is super pleasing to the eye.

I finally got out this weekend. I may post a couple of little finds later. Cheers :occasion14:

Thanks man! Glad to see its thawed enough for you to start getting out up there. Looking forward to your posts.

For reference, I typically dig the iron bits or brass bits, but not together. Probably because we mostly find things that broke! So if the scythe handle breaks, the brass goes one way and iron the other. I suppose the one I found was left and rotted in place.

IMG_20170409_210357.jpg

Here it is after electrolysis, before hot wax. I took this picture, because I knew the boiling wax would darken the brass and I'd lose the green patina on it. I tried to slip the brass off before wax, but I'd have to break off the iron nut to get it off, so I put the whole thing in the pot.

IMG_20170409_113205.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad - when you do a post you mean business .... ha! I thoroughly enjoyed another outstanding compilation of your recent adventures including a lot of interesting and seldom seen items. And nice job on some of the IDs. I'd have to say my favorites are some of the more unusual things like that early tin cup, the scythe handle, the candle snuffer handle, and the compass. Great job on both the digging and putting together this awesome post (and the electrolysis).

Thanks a ton Bill! As you know, my guess on the "candle snuffer" ID is a somewhat educated guess... hopefully its correct. I was impressed at the oxalic acid on the tin cup. I've used it on rusty beer and soda cans from sporting camp trash dumps, but never on a piece of dug iron. You can see the solder seem very well on the inside of the cup now. If that darn compass was 100 years older, it would have been front and center and the star of the hunt. ha I've lucked out lately with complete items like the silver pocket watch and this compass. Since I hurt my back moving stuff this weekend, I was too crippled to do anything but work on this post. :laughing7:

Even though I get all your pics as they happen, I'm incredibly impressed all over again by your digs. Wow!

Your finds span about 150 years and so many sides of life back then. Excellent finds and nice work with that hoe - it's bloody amazing!!

Thanks a ton man. Glad you like the hoe, I really think its my favorite find of the bunch. Its always satisfying to find something that isn't broken and will preserve nicely. I was happy to finally get a colonial copper this year... you know weather and responsibilities has kept me from hunting like I wanted to. If that compass is 1950 and that KG1 is ~1720 or so, then the span is 230 years :headbang: I'll probably zap the other broken hoe from this site too, since I know its an old one.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some real great finds!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks VTColonialDigger!

Congrats on a nice assortment of finds

Thanks Art!

I see you are proud of that haul - I would be, too...!
Great Stuff! :thumbsup:

Thanks eyemustdigtreasure! This was definitely a long post, because some odd and cool items turned up.

Killer saves, nice post

Thanks coloradocav1!

Man I'm always impressed with the sheer amount of GOOD targets you dig up. Really great stuff, as always

Thanks man! There's a mess of nails, sheet iron and shot shells in that dirty iron and trash pile. My approach is typically sheer volume in the number of plugs I dig then I tote it all home to sort through later... and sometimes get a cool surprise like that pocket knife concretion. Most of my sites have been hunted by others, so I rarely get that perfect signal... I just dig all the crappy and questionable signals that aren't always good. But I get rewarded with cool iron doing that, which most people leave behind.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another varied and excellent bunch of finds Brad. You did a great job cleaning and preserving the pocket knife-removing concretions without damaging the relic is a tedious job I really like that etched tombac button-and what is the deal with the small button with all the holes in it?

Oh and you forgot to mention the two-tined fork. Another very good find.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another varied and excellent bunch of finds Brad. You did a great job cleaning and preserving the pocket knife-removing concretions without damaging the relic is a tedious job I really like that etched tombac button-and what is the deal with the small button with all the holes in it?

Oh and you forgot to mention the two-tined fork. Another very good find.

Thanks a ton Glenn! I'm glad you asked about that "button". I'm calling it an open work cuff sized button, but I think I'm wrong about that. It has a little nub on the edge you can see that sticks back perpendicular to the "button". So perhaps it was a leather ornament and not a button? Maybe it had two prongs that stuck through leather? (excuse the dirty "electrolysis hands" in these pictures, I was scrubbing the hoe and axe without gloves and the black carbon is un-washable as you know!) My original post was too long to mention this piece, but it was something I was wondering about since I don't really know what it is. It came from the KG site.

IMG_20170409_214506.jpg

IMG_20170409_214516.jpg

The 2 tined fork also came from the KG site and I'm not done with electrolysis on it yet... just pulled it out of the tank for pictures. Those are always awesome to dig.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue about the brass item but I do understand about "electrolysis hands-I get that all the time. 8-)

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds and post.
Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great assortment of finds, you really did a nice job on the restoration of the iron also. The long brass rod reminded me of a rod that would hold the pendulum in a big clock. The round brass thingy reminds me of one I dug up today, not exact though. Would they be off a salt shaker?
IMG_20170409_182323567.jpg

Last edited:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A quality post Brad with a nice range of finds. You did some good preservation work as usual. I really like the tombacs with designs. Great hunts all around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread