Just another cap bust, and amazing cool pewter button, any info on button?

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Makro racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: looks like this button is ultra rare loyalist dragoon coat button, and in great shape!
They plowed my gold ring site, found this nice capped bust half dime, my 6th Capp bust ever. And this awesome pewter button, looks like he is holding a sword on horse, And other buttons

Attachments

• IMG_0683.PNG
    IMG_0683.PNG
    405 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0681.PNG
    IMG_0681.PNG
    418.7 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0685.PNG
    IMG_0685.PNG
    447.8 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Upvote 40

deedoubleyou

Feb 26, 2017
Northern WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, . Simplex, White's 6000 di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! I cant wait to be to the point where I'm like ....... its just another capped bust :icon_thumleft:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep posting the great finds, they are inspiring. Look at the detail on that half dime!

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep posting the great finds, they are inspiring. Look at the detail on that half dime!

thanks, man, i have been very lucky lately, any info on this button?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Similar buttons are from the Rev War and some are Continental dragoons, others are Loyalist forces. Most have come from the Carolinas.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button crab, jury still out on these horse with armed rider buttons. Across the pond they carry little significance, but stateside have been associated with the rev war. I've seen a few varieties, all from the Carolinas. Depending on the recovery site, the button could be associated with loyalist dragoons. Dug a similar example myself with a flag aft of the rider at a British camp.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds from that site once again. Just how many early silvers is that now? How about complete early buckles? That site had a lot of activity over a long period of time

Last edited:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just another 1832 Capped Bust half-dime! Guess those are pretty common???? Seriously, nice find!!

-- Jeff --

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button crab, jury still out on these horse with armed rider buttons. Across the pond they carry little significance, but stateside have been associated with the rev war. I've seen a few varieties, all from the Carolinas. Depending on the recovery site, the button could be associated with loyalist dragoons. Dug a similar example myself with a flag aft of the rider at a British camp.

thanks for the reply, thats interesting they are only found in the carolinas, what are loyalist dragoons?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW you buttons span almost 100 years of history, ca 1780 to 1870'ish. Great stuff.

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds from that site once again. Just how many early silvers is that now? How about complete early buckles? That site had a lot of activity over a long period of time
3 spanish silvers, 2 cap bust, 1 trime, 2 mercs, 2 rosies, 1 franklin half, 1 philippine 20 cent,1 barber dime, 1 washinton, 1 standing liberty quarter, i think thats all the silver coins, plus 2 flying eagles, lots of indians, half cent, lots of other coppers, and of course 4 colonial gold rings

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
would love to see the pic of the one you dug

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime.
In all my years of metal detecting, I have found only one Capped Bust Half Dime.
That was earlier this year and it too was an 1832.
Well done

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW great find again!!! Love seeing those capped busts...one day i'll dig one! Congrats man those are all great finds!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I have never found a capped bust, a Franklin or Liberty standing. But I have dug a zillion CW relics and a bunch of Rev!

Good stuff you have there.

OP
OP
crabstang44

crabstang44

Mar 10, 2016
eastern nc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok so after some researching i feel safe saying the button is british loyalist from the rev war, how should i preserve this pewter button??

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ok so after some researching i feel safe saying the button is british loyalist from the rev war, how should i preserve this pewter button??

Preservation varies from button to button, but your's looks stable. If it were mine I would seal with a few coats of Renaissance Wax and buff to a dull shine. For ultimate protection though, a flat lacquer coating will do the trick (just not my go to).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread