Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I'm in shock, after a decade + of detecting I have finally unearthed a Morgan dollar !

Just discovered this place yesterday, just a few blocks from my house. House has been torn down and the yard is not completely trashed yet like it will be in a few days, so I decided to hit it in between rail squalls.
Was getting bad interference from one side of the yard so I moved to the other where it was quieter, found some fence parts and misc hunks of iron, no good signals. So I mozied to some bushed by a fence, got a good signal and had to crouch down to dig it up, down about 6" I would say, I popped it out with my first shovel full the ground was so diggable. 1892, has some rim damage not sure if I did it or what, but once I cleaned it off looks like it was dropped last week, very sweet and exhilarating to find one of these.
Only other thing I dug up is what looks to be an old part of a toy pistol.

Went looking around the torn down house to see what I can see, basement is still intact with an unopened door in view. Was very tempted to jump in, kick it in and see whats behind door # 1 but my better sense told me not to. High odds of a nail in the foot, not only that it would be easy to jump in, not so easy getting out. Only way out in fact is to scramble up the debris pile, so I'd need a ladder to investigate the door, also would be safer to have someone with me.
Has a large front yard where I haven't set foot on yet, a 100 year old tree right in the middle, will probably go back and check that tonight, these construction sites change quick around here.

Also found an old bumper laying in the yard and took it, if anyone can ID I'd be much obliged.

Attachments

• IMG_2010.JPG
    IMG_2010.JPG
    567.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2014.JPG
    IMG_2014.JPG
    600.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    828.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    517.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    508.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2017.JPG
    IMG_2017.JPG
    449.2 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Upvote 48
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A ways from Saginaw, metro Detroit area.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back tonight to try the front, way too muddy for me.
I know some guys don't mind it, some may actually enjoy it, I cannot and will not dig when the ground is saturated.

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a beauty! Congrats. -Lisa & John

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very awesome silver, congrats

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Morgan! Wonderful condition. WTG H Digs

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery on the HUGE silver ! Way to stick your coil in the bushes. I am always sticking my smaller coils into tight areas and under shrubs where most folks don't consider swinging. Maybe some day I'll get my silver dollar notched off my bucket list. Glad you did. Big congrats on a real beauty.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow dude, welcome to the club. Congrats on the BIG beautiful silver!!!

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have got hits under bushes before, you figure ladies did their gardening way back in the day and lost rings and whatnot.
Tends not to be many signals around bushes because they impede foot traffic, so any signal there gets my attention.
Of course, the Morgan drop most likely predates the bush by a wide margin, could have been an open field or cabin yard when it was dropped.

Still thinking about that door, even though there is likely nothing more exciting than some rusted paint cans and a busted rake in there. I planned my exit strategy without a ladder, there are some old chairs nearby, I'll just drop one in, check out whats behind the door, then exit via the chair. I'll post back if anything interesting, that is if the basement isn't buried today before I can get to it.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that beautiful Morgan! What a find. You said there's an old tree out front. Hit around that, bet there stuff around the trunk and root area where people took shade and leaned against it years ago. In my early years, I'd join you kicking in the door to see what's in there before it gets flattened but now, rather not do the nail in the foot or scrape myself up trying to get out. Rather hunt out the yard before they tear it up. Good Luck and hope there's more when that Morgan came from. Neat old bumper, not sure, maybe a '40s car but not sure of the make, lot of steel and chrome! GL HH

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Welcome to the Morgan club, it's one that most will never join :thumbsup:

HH,
Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions