Musket or Gun Piece? Key. 1683 Mass Property

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening, friends. John dug for an hour after work today and found this really neat looking brass piece, which we think might be a gun part. What do you all think? Then again, it could be something completely different like a window lock or other mundane thing.There's also a key which he found in the same hole as the alleged gun piece. The key has writing on it: W Bohannon, Brooklyn, NY. I haven't had a chance to Google that yet, but I will in a few minutes. Thanks for looking, as always. -Lisa & John

Attachments

• IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    937.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    900.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    751.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the key could have been used on a stage coach or train lock box padlock and the ticket hole punch as well for a train or stage coach ..since the two were "together" which ever one it was it was ...maybe they transferred a money / secure box from the stage to the train or vice versa ..

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well the key could have been used on a stage coach or train lock box padlock and the ticket hole punch as well for a train or stage coach ..since the two were "together" which ever one it was it was ...maybe they transferred a money / secure box from the stage to the train or vice versa ..

Ivan, it's fascinating to think of, isn't it? Hey--maybe we should be looking for the money box next! ;-) Thanks for your thoughts. ~L&J

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well trains were often used for long hauling of goods and items from big cities to remote areas (like a payroll or bank cash delivery) ...but once in a general area in the more remote areas often the final delivery would have to be made by transferring to a stagecoach or a wagon with armed guards ...with the train track close to the stagecoach stop --it might have been a "transfer point" --say a wagon from the train to the stagecoach...cargo being placed in a strongbox to be placed upon the train would have a padlock placed upon it ...and a ticket showing that payment for shipment was paid would be punched ..likewise a key would be needed to open any strongbox sent from the train to the stage stop for checking of items to be shipped via the stagecoach to insure the contents that were to be signed for .. upon transfer

say 500 bucks in silver dollars was shipped on the train --at the bank sending it --it would be counted placed in strong box signed for and then sent under guard to the railroad yard there it would be opened counted signed for and relocked by the train guards padlock --then as it got to the transfer point a wagon sent from the stage stop with a armed guard - who would have opened it , counted again and signed for and relock it with their padlock ...then upon arriving at the stagecoach transfer spot --as it was placed upon the stage --it would again be inspected signed for and relocked with their padlock ...then upon final delivery it would be counted one last time at the receiving bank / business and signed for --this was to insure no one stole any money --and that it was fully accounted for during the entire process with someone being on the hook the whole way --often these men had their own set of padlocks to insure that no one but them could open the padlock since they were held accountable for the money or valuable items in the strongboxes

of course once the stage line went out of business -- company the ticket punch and padlock key are fairly useless

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ivan, --wow--didn't know I was dealing with a history buff! Your explanation is amazing. Thanks so much for sharing. So now what we need to find is the strongbox in the ground! Ha ha. Take care. -L&J

well trains were often used for long hauling of goods and items from big cities to remote areas (like a payroll or bank cash delivery) ...but once in a general area in the more remote areas often the final delivery would have to be made by transferring to a stagecoach or a wagon with armed guards ...with the train track close to the stagecoach stop --it might have been a "transfer point" --say a wagon from the train to the stagecoach...cargo being placed in a strongbox to be placed upon the train would have a padlock placed upon it ...and a ticket showing that payment for shipment was paid would be punched ..likewise a key would be needed to open any strongbox sent from the train to the stage stop for checking of items to be shipped via the stagecoach to insure the contents that were to be signed for .. upon transfer

say 500 bucks in silver dollars was shipped on the train --at the bank sending it --it would be counted placed in strong box signed for and then sent under guard to the railroad yard there it would be opened counted signed for and relocked by the train guards padlock --then as it got to the transfer point a wagon sent from the stage stop with a armed guard - who would have opened it , counted again and signed for and relock it with their padlock ...then upon arriving at the stagecoach transfer spot --as it was placed upon the stage --it would again be inspected signed for and relocked with their padlock ...then upon final delivery it would be counted one last time at the receiving bank / business and signed for --this was to insure no one stole any money --and that it was fully accounted for during the entire process with someone being on the hook the whole way --often these men had their own set of padlocks to insure that no one but them could open the padlock since they were held accountable for the money or valuable items in the strongboxes

of course once the stage line went out of business -- company the ticket punch and padlock key are fairly useless

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lisa, great finds! It was awesome that Outdoor Adv could i.d. that, truly amazing, I've never seen one posted, heck...I've never saw one before! Except maybe in the movies..lol...glad to see you and John are back at it! We missed you...Ddf

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lisa, great finds! It was awesome that Outdoor Adv could i.d. that, truly amazing, I've never seen one posted, heck...I've never saw one before! Except maybe in the movies..lol...glad to see you and John are back at it! We missed you...Ddf

DDF - how the heck are ya? Glad to be back, for sure. Yeah -- Brad (Outdoor Adv) is a walking museum curator! ;-) Hope your finds are plentiful this season. Thanks for checking in, and for the warm welcome back. ~L&J

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the count and sign off upon transfer method is still in use by armored car companies --and other fiscal transfer bussiness's

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the count and sign off upon transfer method is still in use by armored car companies --and other fiscal transfer bussiness's

Right--I've seen those armored cars around! ;-)

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOW THATS A FIND THATS NEVER BEEN SHOWN ON TNET AS FAR AS I KNOW.

OP
OP
B

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOW THATS A FIND THATS NEVER BEEN SHOWN ON TNET AS FAR AS I KNOW.

Very cool! Gotta love this forum. Seems every week we see something unique. Thanks for looking. -L&J

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread