National Newsboys Association Badge?

gxfricke

Greenie
Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out screwing around in my front yard again tonight, I'm still trying to learn my detector, and I found this really cool badge! It looks like it's probably from the thirties, but I couldn't find a picture or even a reference to one anywhere. Anybody know anything about it? It looks like it's in amazing shape considering how long it's probably been in the ground.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492998175.452078.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1492998190.491178.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google. ...National Newboys Association the first entry is a pdf file on John Gunckel. Download it's an interesting read about the founder and what organization this eventually lead to.
Your badge is shape of an acorn and it tells why

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a way cool recovery mate. Excellent condition too. I found a newspaper badge in the shape of a five pointed star like an old sheriff's badge. Great find.

OP
OP
G

gxfricke

Greenie
Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool! Thank You!

Google. ...National Newboys Association the first entry is a pdf file on John Gunckel. Download it's an interesting read about the founder and what organization this eventually lead to.
Your badge is shape of an acorn and it tells why

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool! Thank You!

July 1899. Hundreds of New York City newsboys refuse to distribute the papers of Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst because of increased prices.
May 1902. "Mogy" Bernstein, the Western "King of the Newsies," establishes a home for Omaha newsboys.
August 16, 1904. Newsboys’ day is held at the St. Louis World’s Fair. Sellers from around the country arrive to attend the convention. With the leadership of John Guenkel, they formed the National Newsboys’ Association, which eventually evolved into the Boys Clubs and Girls Clubs we know today.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weren't they called newsies?
Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread