Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After a long drive back home from a weekend in Virginia, we unpacked (my wife did most of that) and I headed out at 5PM for a late day hunt. Arrived at the site and was detecting by 5:30. I walked along field edges and managed a modern quarter, sort of a tease to get an 83 in a corn field, but that's what it was. I tried another field that I had not searched much before, doing a back and forth search, getting closer to the road, but came away with 2 headstamps and an old bullet, very white. Swung all the way back to my truck and then drove over to my last site of the day. In the waning light of sunset I got a promising signal after making about 8 passes in a grid search. From about 10 inches down came out a coin ball with silver rim showing through. The size of the coin told me it was likely Spanish and, in fact, it is a 2 real from 1788. This makes first Spanish coin I've dug from this site and the fourth silver coin.
The coin is very worn and these pictures do not show all the detail that is evident. Diameter is 25.5 mm.
2Reale.jpg

I've also included a link to the video of the dig:
Thanks for checking out the video!

Last edited:
Upvote 34
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx doninbrewster! Now that "bad boy" is beautiful; truly a period drop. Thanks for the post!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx cjon455! This piece was most likely lost around the time of James Monroe's presidency, judging from the wear and the known habitation of this property.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx ddf! Man, you are right. That's what's so cool about this hobby; you never know what that next target's gonna be.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Terry Soloman! That last dig of the day was sweet. Prior to that it was a clad quarter, 2 headstamps, a bullet, partial horseshoe, and a number of square nails.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Ken! That's my second hunt in the past few weeks that's ended in the dark. Park actually closes at sundown.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx smokey! Thinking more on the find, it could have been cut or holed as older coins sometimes are, but this one just got passed from hand-to-hand as it was minted.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's odd no buttons. It may be the coins are incidental drops, may or may not be related to the known age of the property. I got a Civil War horse shoe in my front lawn. Never figured it out. None of the houses in the neighborhood go back that far in time.

Find anything definitively military there? Sounds like the place spans a long time span. Should be something incidental lying around.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent find McDig-wayyy-to awesome-****! Lol.

That's a nice big silver there. I've yet to find a 2-R. Very cool!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing military. All finds seem to be related to farming.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the larger Spanish silver! It's a little slick (and beautiful), awesome that you were able to get a date.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ken, I must confess I'm bound to that F75 when it comes to the "comfort zone". I'm sure if I used the Etrac in relic mode it would do just as well.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be all the normal household stuff around in the fields, round shot from hunting, flat buttons, ceramics, green glass, redware, stoneware, 2 or 3 tine iron forks, belt knives, tinder strikers, oil lamp parts, pewter spoons. Plus barn hinges, iron axes, wedges, etc. Any of that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread