🥇 BANNER BUCKET LIST! 1714 Spanish 8 reales colonial silver dollar coin!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1st off, apologies for breaking the rules and blowing up last year. Haven't posted since that ordeal. Was embarrassed more than anything and stayed away. Hope those affected can find it in their hearts to forgive my silly antics.

Well, finds have been good and I managed a cut silver or copper colonial coin for each of the previous 4 metal detecting trips, but todays find is really special for me so gotta post it up.

Today my wife and I thought we could squeeze in one more day of colonial hunting before the season ends. Farmers are working hard and planting has begun. It was hot w/ little wind, manure was spread on the field but that didn't stop us from 3+ hours of swinging. The site has at least 2 home sites. One from the 1670s and one from the late 18th century through the 1920s or so. I managed a seated liberty dime, buttons and a number of musket balls. My wife got some of the same and also a terrific leather ornamental with an axe head shape. At about 2 1/2 hours in I couldnt take anymore of the sun and decided to walk over to the only shaded area I could find that might produce some goodies. Not long thereafter my Deus screams 95 only a few inches deep. I dug a shovel or 2 of dirt and saw the target flip in the air and land cross up in the dirt. Shocked and without a phone or camera, I walked across the field to get my wife so we could film my find of a life time w/ her iphone. Always dreamed of finding a big chunk of colonial silver like this. Never dreamed it'd be so old and so nice. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY. It took me 26 1/2 years to find an 8 reales. Never found any cobs larger than 1 reale before today. Skipped right to the 8 reales! Dig it all on these old sites. Truth is, I figured it'd be a big chunk of aluminum or maybe a huge copper pipe. So pleased w/ this beauty! Luckily only fairly minor and light plow / disc marks from the farm equipment.

Volume warning on the video. I was extremely excited. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 906
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 540
Upvote 92

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome I know your feeling I felt like that when I found mine

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the banner. Whats next? 8 escudo

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. She made it. Thanks all. Some generous mods after what i pulled.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that's awesome

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Gary, it's great to see you back, and with a bang! Incredible cob!!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Find of a lifetime for sure, tho I'm sure there's something else on your bucket list. You say it's 300 years old? I found my 8 reales a few years ago it's an 1817 (200yrs old exactly) holed counterfeit - (at least that was the consensus. ). Congratulations

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver (Used)
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, I really enjoy your Reaction to it. I sure hope I can find something and have the same reaction :) Congrats dude.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that is a fantastic piece of history, Banner find. It's never gets old digging out old Spanish like that. Keep working that area...maybe another Banner find you will find,
possibly a nice 1 or 2 escudo would be nice...Hats off to you, well done!!!
She is a real beauty strong and bold 714 date, solid fat planchet, Diego de Ybarbouru was assayer indicated by the Y, and really nice bold waves under date.
She's a TOP NOTCH piece. WAY TO GO !!!
Trez

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look's like digging all those Can Tops , Can's , Big iron , Brass Fittings , & Industrial Copper over the years paid off BIG TIME.
Congratz!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Awesome! I've been hoping to find a site like that. A Big Congrats on the banner!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So cool! This is literally a piece of treasure from the Golden Age of Piracy. The Spanish fleets that wrecked off Florida in 1715 would have been carrying the same coins bearing the same date, tens of thousands of these would have sunk beneath the waves. It was this treasure that lured Black Beard and Black Sam Bellamy to the Caribbean - this coin was minted by the same mint workers who made the coins that sank off the Florida coast which started the pirating campaigns of the early 18th century. :hello2:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first silver find was a 1829 Spanish Mexican 8 Reales and I've been chasing that high ever since. Welcome to the 8's club!!! Congratulations on that BANNER FIND

Last edited:

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was wondering when it would show up on top! What a beautiful slab of old silver, there aren't many denominations that look and feel like that. Great post, great video, remarkable find thanks for posting and congrats!

jimbonito58

May 6, 2016
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/stock coil , 8x5 & nels storm ,garret carrot
Makro racer 2 w/stock coil ,5" round & 9x5.5 Makro PinP
Mindlab CTX 3030 11'coil / 10x5 coiltek, Minelab 17" smart coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so Stellar Congrats Buddy

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its really great to see you back on here man. I have been missing your posts. I've been offline for the last few days, so I'm a little late to the party here, but huge congrats on one incredible piece of silver. Great detail on that thing. Amazing hunt :occasion14:

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks again guys. Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend so might get one more chance to swing someplace.

Danno

Aug 22, 2006
Delaware / Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Whites, DFX
Awesome and well deserved find Gary! That one no doubt remains on my bucket list.. Talk about a stunning cob!! The biggest you can get with an awesome clear date to boot!! Way to go my friend!! And welcome back.. Off to a great reunion with the banner!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread