🥇 BANNER BUCKET LIST! 1714 Spanish 8 reales colonial silver dollar coin!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1st off, apologies for breaking the rules and blowing up last year. Haven't posted since that ordeal. Was embarrassed more than anything and stayed away. Hope those affected can find it in their hearts to forgive my silly antics.

Well, finds have been good and I managed a cut silver or copper colonial coin for each of the previous 4 metal detecting trips, but todays find is really special for me so gotta post it up.

Today my wife and I thought we could squeeze in one more day of colonial hunting before the season ends. Farmers are working hard and planting has begun. It was hot w/ little wind, manure was spread on the field but that didn't stop us from 3+ hours of swinging. The site has at least 2 home sites. One from the 1670s and one from the late 18th century through the 1920s or so. I managed a seated liberty dime, buttons and a number of musket balls. My wife got some of the same and also a terrific leather ornamental with an axe head shape. At about 2 1/2 hours in I couldnt take anymore of the sun and decided to walk over to the only shaded area I could find that might produce some goodies. Not long thereafter my Deus screams 95 only a few inches deep. I dug a shovel or 2 of dirt and saw the target flip in the air and land cross up in the dirt. Shocked and without a phone or camera, I walked across the field to get my wife so we could film my find of a life time w/ her iphone. Always dreamed of finding a big chunk of colonial silver like this. Never dreamed it'd be so old and so nice. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY. It took me 26 1/2 years to find an 8 reales. Never found any cobs larger than 1 reale before today. Skipped right to the 8 reales! Dig it all on these old sites. Truth is, I figured it'd be a big chunk of aluminum or maybe a huge copper pipe. So pleased w/ this beauty! Luckily only fairly minor and light plow / disc marks from the farm equipment.

Volume warning on the video. I was extremely excited. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 905
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 540
Upvote 92

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your banner find

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the hell did I not see this thing???? First of all I am over the moon to see you back buddy. You and I share a love of the earliest US stuff. I love you finds and posts. What an incredible find. Damn man!!!! I want one! You've found everything haven't you? Mass silvers, massive early cobs, early killer shoe buckles and the list goes on and on. Super jealous. I don't often say tvat

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How in the hell did I not see this thing???? First of all I am over the moon to see you back buddy. You and I share a love of the earliest US stuff. I love you finds and posts. What an incredible find. Damn man!!!! I want one! You've found everything haven't you? Mass silvers, massive early cobs, early killer shoe buckles and the list goes on and on. Super jealous. I don't often say tvat
There he is. Was wondering where u were. I sent you some emails - even before I found it. When I didnt get a response- - thought you might have been standing in line to strangle me. lol

Well, I have had some luck metal detecting. Would like to find way more early military. Must have close to 100 Spanish silvers by now. A gold would be nice.

I am really busy these days but will try to get on here some and check out everyones finds.

Thanks for stopping in and good luck. Find that NE silver coin would you? :occasion14:

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There he is. Was wondering where u were. I sent you some emails - even before I found it. When I didnt get a response- - thought you might have been standing in line to strangle me. lol

Well, I have had some luck metal detecting. Would like to find way more early military. Must have close to 100 Spanish silvers by now. A gold would be nice.

I am really busy these days but will try to get on here some and check out everyones finds.

Thanks for stopping in and good luck. Find that NE silver coin would you? :occasion14:

Sorry brother I'm working a million hours and rarely check my personal email. I would never intentionally not respond. I love your finds. Strangle you? You're one of my favorites lol

Z.Agee

Jun 18, 2017
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Ace 400 and AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Find. Beautiful coin!!!! However i am somewhat new to dirtfishin and treasure hunting. And i must ask, what is a Banner vote?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jesus that's a killer FIND!!!!! I can't get enough. This post can never get old Gary.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES! The most exiting find I ever made. Nothing like when I found the Mass silver. With that I really didnt get the significance of what I had found until after the fact. How many times have you walked a colonial site and said to yourself "one of these sites is gonna produce a colonial 8 reales eventually?". I must have said it to myself a hundred times. Then when you least expect it....This is the place for it to have happened but after we beat it to death? That was the surprise. When you look at the video you can see the line cutting thru the spot I dug. Thats from the chisel plow which goes at least a foot to 15" down. Theres just no way we missed this monster signal as many times as we hunted here. Its only 50 ft' or so from where I found the 1st cob here in 2014. After spreading manure, the farmer comes in with a chisel plow to work the stuff in. That I think is what brought the 8 reales closer to the surface. Or spun it from sideways to flat.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES! The most exiting find I ever made. Nothing like when I found the Mass silver. With that I really didnt get the significance of what I had found until after the fact. How many times have you walked a colonial site and said to yourself "one of these sites is gonna produce a colonial 8 reales eventually?". I must have said it to myself a hundred times. Then when you least expect it....This is the place for it to have happened but after we beat it to death? That was the surprise. When you look at the video you can see the line cutting thru the spot I dug. Thats from the chisel plow which goes at least a foot to 15" down. Theres just no way we missed this monster signal as many times as we hunted here. Its only 50 ft' or so from where I found the 1st cob here in 2014. After spreading manure, the farmer comes in with a chisel plow to work the stuff in. That I think is what brought the 8 reales closer to the surface. Or spun it from sideways to flat.
Chisel plow? Your lucky your farmer still does that. Its mostly no till and all drill around here

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They apparently just started a couple years ago toasted. A number of farmers are doing it here now thankfully. I talked to an elderly farmer on another farm and he said Roundup is starting to lose its potency and so this is the result. We found pockets full of relics and coins on his farm this year which hadnt been plowed at all in a decade. Before, we'd hunt it and be lucky to find a button or 2. I mean large stuff came up this year. Makes me happy to know some of these previously beaten KILLER sites can give up something more.

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They apparently just started a couple years ago toasted. A number of farmers are doing it here now thankfully. I talked to an elderly farmer on another farm and he said Roundup is starting to lose its potency and so this is the result. We found pockets full of relics and coins on his farm this year which hadnt been plowed at all in a decade. Before, we'd hunt it and be lucky to find a button or 2. I mean large stuff came up this year. Makes me happy to know some of these previously beaten KILLER sites can give up something more.

Also, I made several comments to my detecting partners over the last several years saying the crops seemed to be getting more weeds mixed in every year. Particularly the soybeans. Some fields had horrible crops almost completely take over by weeds. These were no till fields. So here we are with chisel plowed fields. Thats a good thing. One farmer with dense soils ripped one side of his fields up last year with his chisel plow. I told him he needs to get to the other side because I dug a cut pine tree shilling there a year ago. That field has a 1680s plantation site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread