🥇 BANNER BUCKET LIST! 1714 Spanish 8 reales colonial silver dollar coin!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1st off, apologies for breaking the rules and blowing up last year. Haven't posted since that ordeal. Was embarrassed more than anything and stayed away. Hope those affected can find it in their hearts to forgive my silly antics.

Well, finds have been good and I managed a cut silver or copper colonial coin for each of the previous 4 metal detecting trips, but todays find is really special for me so gotta post it up.

Today my wife and I thought we could squeeze in one more day of colonial hunting before the season ends. Farmers are working hard and planting has begun. It was hot w/ little wind, manure was spread on the field but that didn't stop us from 3+ hours of swinging. The site has at least 2 home sites. One from the 1670s and one from the late 18th century through the 1920s or so. I managed a seated liberty dime, buttons and a number of musket balls. My wife got some of the same and also a terrific leather ornamental with an axe head shape. At about 2 1/2 hours in I couldnt take anymore of the sun and decided to walk over to the only shaded area I could find that might produce some goodies. Not long thereafter my Deus screams 95 only a few inches deep. I dug a shovel or 2 of dirt and saw the target flip in the air and land cross up in the dirt. Shocked and without a phone or camera, I walked across the field to get my wife so we could film my find of a life time w/ her iphone. Always dreamed of finding a big chunk of colonial silver like this. Never dreamed it'd be so old and so nice. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY. It took me 26 1/2 years to find an 8 reales. Never found any cobs larger than 1 reale before today. Skipped right to the 8 reales! Dig it all on these old sites. Truth is, I figured it'd be a big chunk of aluminum or maybe a huge copper pipe. So pleased w/ this beauty! Luckily only fairly minor and light plow / disc marks from the farm equipment.

Volume warning on the video. I was extremely excited. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 905
  • IMG_0725.JPG
    IMG_0725.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 567
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 540
Upvote 92

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, well, well, look who's back with a big hunk of silver! Let me be the first to congratulate you and vote banner!

ATwardo223

Jun 17, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO
GARRETT AT PRO,
GARRETT ACE 350,
TESORO Eldorado,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner all day! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, I'll like one of those as well, very nice indeed!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to club buddy and I'm glad to see you back posting. That is a kick butt find and was probably the last thing you thought would pop out but being that you hit the good early sites, you had a better chance than most. I too will be voting banner as soon as I get home and on my pc. Congrats!

ATwardo223

Jun 17, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO
GARRETT AT PRO,
GARRETT ACE 350,
TESORO Eldorado,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to club buddy and I'm glad to see you back posting. That is a kick butt find and was probably the last thing you thought would pop out but being that you hit the good early sites, you had a better chance than most. I too will be voting banner as soon as I get home and on my pc. Congrats!
Same. Need my pc!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st off, apologies for breaking the rules and blowing up last year. Haven't posted since that ordeal. Was embarrassed more than anything and stayed away. Hope those affected can find it in their hearts to forgive my silly antics.

Well, finds have been good and I managed a cut silver or copper colonial coin for each of the previous 4 metal detecting trips, but todays find is really special for me so gotta post it up.

Today my wife and I thought we could squeeze in one more day of colonial hunting before the season ends. Farmers are working hard and planting has begun. It was hot w/ little wind, manure was spread on the field but that didn't stop us from 3+ hours of swinging. The site has at least 2 home sites. One from the 1670s and one from the late 18th century through the 1920s or so. I managed a seated liberty dime, buttons and a number of musket balls. My wife got some of the same and also a terrific leather ornamental with an axe head shape. At about 2 1/2 hours in I couldnt take anymore of the sun and decided to walk over to the only shaded area I could find that might produce some goodies. Not long thereafter my Deus screams 95 only a few inches deep. I dug a shovel or 2 of dirt and saw the target flip in the air and land cross up in the dirt. Shocked and without a phone or camera, I walked across the field to get my wife so we could film my find of a life time w/ her iphone. Always dreamed of finding a big chunk of colonial silver like this. Never dreamed it'd be so old and so nice. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY. It took me 26 1/2 years to find an 8 reales. Never found any cobs larger than 1 reale before today. Skipped right to the 8 reales! Dig it all on these old sites. Truth is, I figured it'd be a big chunk of aluminum or maybe a huge copper pipe. So pleased w/ this beauty! Luckily only fairly minor and light plow / disc marks from the farm equipment.

Volume warning on the video. I was extremely excited. lol

Wow-Now that's a great find! Banner vote in, congratulations

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
only 26 1/2 years huh?

cool, then I'll be due in about four years!!

if you're going to find a killer over the top coin...you executed it perfectly
well done !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back gwdigger ! And with an 8 reale to boot. Glad to see you posting and sharing your digs!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the beautiful 8 reale/cob! :notworthy:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What a thick slab of 300 year old silver Gary!! I know that must have knocked your socks off when you realized what you had just unearthed. Love that crisp date too! Glad to see you posting again.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite the slab of silver! Couldn't ask for an older, bigger, more beautiful hunk of pirate treasure. Congrats to you, and I'm voting BANNER

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread