Uhhhhh. Did I just eyeball find my first Real?

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

I am shaking. I have a rare day off so I was able to go for a walk in the park with my gal and my dogs. My gal and I have a competition running this year on who can find the most money with JUST EYEBALL finds only. Coins on the ground, on floors in markets, coinstar, etc. NO DETECTOR FINDS. The park where we walk them is a couple hundred years old but it is great for finding surface coins. She walks them more so she is kicking my butt.

I tell you this because obviously we are just scouring the ground in the spirit of competition. We have had some heavy rain the last two days here in New Bedford. As we were walking up a hill on a paved path, I was checking out the "canyons" that the rain had created on the side of the path. I always tell my gal that I have a gut feeling that I am going to find a SLQ after a rain storm some day.

Well, I saw a round object halfway sticking out of the ground in one of the runoffs. I grabbed it assuming it was a dime and pulled this out. My head has been swimming for a half hour now. Thoughts?

The back is completely slick but I can take a photo of it if you would think it would help. Is this my first Real? Should I sell my detectors and just use my eyeballs? I can make out the CA and the DE of DEI and the 1776 is obvious. This would be far and away my oldest find as I am not in the 1700s club.

I wish I had my phone on me to take a picture in the park but we work different shifts and that's "our time", so phones aren't our thing. And, you know, I WASN'T EXPECTING TO FIND THIS BECAUSE I WASN'T TREASURE HUNTING!

Thanks for any help!

-Jay

real1 (1).jpg real1 (2).jpg real3.jpg

Upvote 38

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, thousands of dollars in gear here but, my eyeballs have still got to be my best recovery equipment. Great job keeping those peepers scanning the turf. Well done and congrats on scoring 1700's Spanish silver. Still "looking" for my first Spanish silver & 1700's coin. Kurios1

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find!! You. Should get credit for extra coins with that find. Lol

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Isn't finding Spanish silver GREAT?

You said it! I hope I didn't use up all my treasure hunting juju before my two day excursion begins! Thank you!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a bucket lister that most of us dream about. You da man.

Thank you so much. My brain has been in the clouds during my 5 hour drive to Maine. I didn't even care about the one hour traffic delay going through Boston's night time construction! I mean, I wish I had known about it ahead of time, but, whatevs.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you A2, Kurios and Reiser.

My personal white whale is a seated ANYTHING. I am 98 percent convinced that you good folks of TNET got together right before I joined and decided to make up this fake coinage to trick "the first new guy that signs up" and that guy was me. We all keep on chugging along. I have until sun down on Saturday to get my seated in Maine AND hopefully a gram of gold while running some dirt. It's ambitious but I am fired up now. Happy hunting to you all!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find!! You. Should get credit for extra coins with that find. Lol

That would be wonderful. She is winning something like ten dollars to four. She went on a three day tear of finding melting snowbank dollar bills. I would wake up to texts saying "Amy 100 - Jay 0" The loser of this competition has to buy dinner the first time we go out next year. It is fitting that I am losing since I pay for dinners anyways.

Bisquitlips

Feb 22, 2013
Kansas Ctiy, MO
Detector(s) used
1970s - Garrett BFO
1980s - Whites 4000 Di
1990s - Bounty Hunter Tracker (Wife's)
Future - Likely an XP Deus (On the hunt.)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!

Now go buy a lottery ticket or two!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1776 Half Real, congratulations! We used to have found money competitions when we were kids. As soon as the snow melted we would be looking under the parking meters and along the sidewalks. My brother did eyeball an 1803 half real once when we were looking for arrow heads.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1776 Half Real, congratulations! We used to have found money competitions when we were kids. As soon as the snow melted we would be looking under the parking meters and along the sidewalks. My brother did eyeball an 1803 half real once when we were looking for arrow heads.
Agreed saw the 1776 straight away.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you! She's not always sold on going metal detecting but she does like monies and treasure. It's been a much easier way to transitioning her into my obsession.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic!

Now go buy a lottery ticket or two!

I'm not trying to bump this old thread but I *did* buy two $10 scratch tickets last night. One for me and one for my gal. She won $15. Me (we will split it)

win1k.jpg

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful feeling to find these. I dug one when a group of us in NYC, about 6 or 8 hunters were at a spot. I lined up with a very large tree and proceeded to walk west, and bamm... I dug a 1787 half real at 6 inches, and the great part about it, was that not 8 inches from the real, there was a 1794 Large Cent in very nice condition... WTG... a Reale sticking half way out of the soil... There must have been some serious erosion where water first hit the spot, and then the wind exposed the coin I say that because I snag a Walker sitting half way in the soil also, off a slight slope by a tree hat fell over from the erosion of the soil... just my two cents...

Philo

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree. It looks like a Half Reale in your hand. I have only dug one myself, but the size seems to be the same as mine along with the thinness of the coin.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats!

I just found my first one, and it was no walk in the park for me. That is an awesome find and great story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread