Uhhhhh. Did I just eyeball find my first Real?

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

I am shaking. I have a rare day off so I was able to go for a walk in the park with my gal and my dogs. My gal and I have a competition running this year on who can find the most money with JUST EYEBALL finds only. Coins on the ground, on floors in markets, coinstar, etc. NO DETECTOR FINDS. The park where we walk them is a couple hundred years old but it is great for finding surface coins. She walks them more so she is kicking my butt.

I tell you this because obviously we are just scouring the ground in the spirit of competition. We have had some heavy rain the last two days here in New Bedford. As we were walking up a hill on a paved path, I was checking out the "canyons" that the rain had created on the side of the path. I always tell my gal that I have a gut feeling that I am going to find a SLQ after a rain storm some day.

Well, I saw a round object halfway sticking out of the ground in one of the runoffs. I grabbed it assuming it was a dime and pulled this out. My head has been swimming for a half hour now. Thoughts?

The back is completely slick but I can take a photo of it if you would think it would help. Is this my first Real? Should I sell my detectors and just use my eyeballs? I can make out the CA and the DE of DEI and the 1776 is obvious. This would be far and away my oldest find as I am not in the 1700s club.

I wish I had my phone on me to take a picture in the park but we work different shifts and that's "our time", so phones aren't our thing. And, you know, I WASN'T EXPECTING TO FIND THIS BECAUSE I WASN'T TREASURE HUNTING!

Thanks for any help!

-Jay

real1 (1).jpg real1 (2).jpg real3.jpg

Upvote 38

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, SCORE! The Force is clearly strong with this one. :) Looks like a half from the size in your hand. Well done!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
And we are out there like IDIOTS scanning the ground with expensive detectors!

Congrats, man! Nice find!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find! A Real is always a welcome sight!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to both the Spanish silver and the 1700's clubs:headbang:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice real recovery! :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My head usually was on a swivel when I walked around New Beige....
Congrats on your great find!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. All my digging and I coulda walked right by one.

The slick reverse was facing up. I could see that it was round but I thought it was going to be a punch out of something. INSANE!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, SCORE! The Force is clearly strong with this one. :) Looks like a half from the size in your hand. Well done!

Thank you! It's the size of a dime so I was thinking half as well. On the ground. Just half-way out of the dirt. Ridiculous.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aureus and Loco and Professor, thank you so much! I am beyond excited! I am packing up my prospecting and metal detecting equipment for long weekend in Maine. Why bother with the detectors? Reals be jumping out of the ground at me!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we are out there like IDIOTS scanning the ground with expensive detectors!

Congrats, man! Nice find!

I'm packing over a thousand dollars of metal detectors for this weekend and MY BEST FIND EVER WAS AN EYEBALL FIND! What the heck!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My head usually was on a swivel when I walked around New Beige....
Congrats on your great find!

I would have missed it if I were walking alone. I'd be too busy looking for people that might jump me. This city drives me crazy. So much history and old wealth and it is all paved over.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Great Find. It is a 1/2 Reale ok. Great find no matter how you cut it. PEACE:RONB

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Isn't finding Spanish silver GREAT?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She could just hold your feet and swing you back and forth through the park who needs a detector!!LOL or she planted it so you wouldn't want to buy that more expensive detector!!LOL Great job Ive found many of my oldest coins a few inches deep .. Thanks for the post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread