cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from messing around with the new Deus (thanks Bart!), and I'm digging every single target to get familiar with it. Including the big loud ones.

I was near an old homesite, big trashy area, seems to be a dump, I have found old bottles in here but mainly avoid it. Off to the side in the pines I found these two badges. Turns out they're grave markers, found images on Google.

The GAR is stamped on the back "Emblem Flag Company, Bristol Penn". There is no graveyard anywhere near this location, I know these woods well. I'm thinking about turning them in to the local authorities, even though there's no way to find out where they came from. Any suggestions?

IMG_1017.JPG

Upvote 8
OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'm going to go put them right back where I found them.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you turned them in they would sit in a box if not eventually get thrown out . If they were not near a grave marker and you cant return them to anyone it would seem if you appreciate them and the historic meaning of them. I think it would be better you keep them then put them back in the ground to perish,just a thought!!!!

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm? Moral dilemma. Being a man of some conscience I am not certain as to what I'd do. Seeing there is no way of telling there was ever a grave where you recovered them I am not sure I'd replace them into the soil from which they came just to decay. As another member posted if you turn them over to "official" folks they will probably just look at you puzzled and throw them into a box to collect dust until they end up in someone else's collection of stuff or the land fill. So not sure if I have an answer for you. I imagine I'd take it to the Lord in prayer and give it a few days. Way cool finds as well. Kurios1

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Both were used to honor those served during each war - normally on the appropriate grave site. You can find them on EBay, etc. It is likely you will never find the actual grave sites. Many VFW Organization would place the markers. A fellow MD'r places them in his garden in honor of those who served.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a good idea cheffer. I would do the same. Could be a family plot OR maybe family remains were moved and these given to the family and they placed them there as a memorial.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea VPNavy has. Make a small memorial in your own yard somewhere. You cant identify any of the family, and if you put them in back in the ground they will rot, or be scooped up by a tractor in the name of development, or even found by another detectorist who would end up doing what they wanted to with them. They are not marked with anyone's name, so I would not feel guilty about keeping them.

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to stop by the local VFW and give them to them. I don't feel right about keeping them. This spot is definitely not a burial plot, you'd have to see it to know what I mean, but it's on a rocky hillside, lots of erosion, trash dump right next to it that's clearly been there for over 100 years. It doesn't make sense a WWII marker would have been added in the 40s or 50s at this site. I think someone tossed them into the trash heap after not using them for whatever reason, there's lots of other domestic trash in the area. Thanks for all your input, I think the best way to honor whoever these were intended for is to pass them on to other veterans.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread