My Best Detecting Day - EVER!!!

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well - here it goes... I was invited to go on a detecting adventure with a buddy. We were given permission to detect a piece of property in central Virginia. I use my Minelab CTX pretty much exclusively in MO, and do fairly well. I thought I may need a back up detector as well and bought an XP Deus- just in case. My buddy took a Whites PI and his MXT. Little did we know the soil in Virginia can be pretty unforgiving. On the first day we hit a piece of the property where we'd been told the owner found relics in the past and weren't disappointed. An eagle coat button was my very first find and I was extremely happy to see it emerge from the ground after 160 plus years. We moved pretty quickly through the areas where the grass would allow a 17" coil to swing. We were finding bullets, buttons, and passing on iron targets. As I was detecting, I noticed I would have a great signal and target ID but as soon as I opened the hole - it would disappear. That was my first encounter with mineralized soil and boy was it working its magic on my detector. Even with all the issues the CTX with the 17" coild did very well... Below is a picture of my finds on the first day, just before noon... Before you blast me for having my coil on backwards, I was pretty excited and in a hurry when I attached it - I promise I'll never do it again :laughing7:.

Before noon first day.jpg

The afternoon was spent chasing more signals. That afternoon I learned that I had dug a couple buttons that proved to be better than I ever could have imagined. I dug a Rhode Island and a Calvary cuff button. Talk about surprised when I was told they still had gold guild and that some minor cleaning would really do the trick. I let the fella who owned the relic shop we stopped at show me how to clean them. It was amazing what his magic potion did... talk about a wonderful clean-up job.
Rhode Island Button.jpg Calvery Button.jpg

After a day like that I thought there was no way it could get any better... I had dug over 10 bullets and 4 or 5 buttons, along with some slag and other buckles, rivets, grommets and rusty square nails. Our spirits were high on day two, despite a rain that had set in. We were forced to detect in a downpour. Like a dummy I put my raincoat on but ignored the lower parts... After a bit I was soaked but still optimistic about our day. We tried a spot where a wagon road was supposed to be located, but it seemed it had been picked over sometime before. I left the old wagon road bed and was hiking up the hill when I hit a great signal in the leaves. There was nothing else anywhere around. After digging down about 12" - I pulled a large bullet which I had not dug before. This is the only one of this variety that either of us dug. The icing on the cake was the ramrod marks on the nose of the bullet - a fired bullet! Really cool target. I put it in a little case along with what I think is a .577 Enfield and an Eagle cuff button with a little gold guild showing through.

Fired and Possible Confederate .577.jpg

If you're still with me, it's about to get good. We decided to go back to the area where we had detected the day before. We were trying to poke around in the nooks and crannies we may have missed. I was in the edge of the woods and noticed it looked like someone had dug a huge hole and covered it back up. I decided to detect around the edges and found it to be littered with iron targets. I thought I'd move a bit down the outside edge and got a screaming high tone. I started digging but couldn't get a good line on where the target was. When I put the pin-pointer in the hole it would scream out. I thought I'd better not use the big Predator shovel anymore, just in case. I switched over to my hand digger. It was tough digging with all the roots and a big limb right over the hole, but I was determined to see what was giving such a high tone. When I couldn't find it in the bottom of the hole I used the tip of the pin-pointer and figured out it was close to the bottom, but on the left side. I stuck the Lesche in, flipped a large chunk out, and was shocked to see a green rectangle fall to the bottom of the hole. I just stared at it. I could not believe what I'd just found. I didn't move it till I found my buddy and showed him the target at the bottom of the hole. After a couple pictures I pulled the green rectangle out and handed it to my buddy. We high-fived and contemplated how the plate had ended up where it did. My buddy had missed this spot by 10' about 20 minutes before I found it. We were soaked to the bone and I was ready to celebrate. On the way back to the hotel we stopped by the relic shop and the owner worked his magic to remove the dirt and grime that 160 plus years of being buried had placed on it. We were all a bit surprised at just how much gold plating was still intact, and how beautiful the piece looked with just a few minutes of cleaning. He suggested I do more cleaning when I get home, but I'm pretty happy with the way it looks now.

Plate in the Hole.jpg Union Officer Belt Plate.jpg

I'm going to leave you all with one of the curiosities of the trip. I found what appeared to be a chess piece, or some sort of handle. I had purchased a relic identification guide the day before and could not believe it when I found a similar item inside. With the identification made it was obvious that this was something that would have been greatly missed by the owner - a water filter. The owner obviously knew the dangers of drinking unclean water and was doing what he could to keep from getting sick. Again, hard to believe this was last used in 1862 or 1863. A hose connected to one side, and the user would suck water through the burnt wood inside. The final picture is a tally of my finds. I cannot believe what a great day and am hoping to get back there as soon as we can swing it.

What is it.jpg water filter.jpg Total Finds.jpg

Upvote 43
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds, congratulations! :notworthy:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is definitely one hell of a day. I don't think I've ever seen a plate dug with that much guild still on it. Still looking for a Cavalry button myself and the other stuff is sweet as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer hunt! Everything is great but the winner for me is the water filter. I had no idea such a thing was a thing. You not just learned me something but you learned me an AWESOME something. Congrats on all the great saves.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got my sword plate last spring. should be a number stamped on back by the bent tongue. and YUP, that would be a hunt you may never beat :notworthy::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunts like that are few and far between. That's a trip you won't forget. Congratulations on a great hunt and some outstanding finds! [emoji106] [emoji482]

HH, RN

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job. Those old sites are drying up fast, but there is still Civil War stuff out there.

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, good write up and great finds but that gilt plate takes the prize, beautiful. Congratulations sir!

Don

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Nice finds.

I am curious how many of us hook up their coils backwards like that. I have all mine oriented with the cord and connector at the rear.

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually posted this on a couple Facebook forums and they were eating me alive. I told them that it pinpointed much better with the coil on backwards. I wonder how many of them immediately went and turned their coils around... I thought I had to fight back... nothing like missing the entire point of the post. It was about the finds - THE FINDS - but they chose to focus on my mistake. I just had to have a bit more fun with them.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you mind posting a couple pics of the book about the water filter thing. I found an exact match to that one and had no idea what it was. figured it was just some decoration. Great finds tho! Thats one hell of a dig

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds- that plate is awesome!

-- Jeff --

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very good post, looks like awesomeness was raining down on you LOL. congrats

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day !
I also found one of those water filter "things" last year. I too thought it was just decorative, and promptly threw it in a bucket of scrap brass, thanks to this post it is now IDed.
Slow day when you don't learn something.

IMG_2110.JPG

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stef45 - the name of the book is Civil War Artifacts - A Guide for the Historian, written by Howard R Crouch. It is on the bottom of page 17. Since this is copyrighted material I cannot post a photo. The book is exceptional for researching finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions