Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still in shock. Never would I believe something like this would happen to me. Did a late evening hunt with a friend from Tnet which only lasted about 45 min. As you can see I only found a mini ball and flat button until I came upon this cache. We both were speechless, good thing she decided to video tonights dig. This is the second cache of coins found on this property mixed in with all the civil war relics. First spill was nothing like this, maybe 10 coins. So walking along the woods edge of a corn field I got this ear blowing signal, pinpointed about 3 ft long but narrow I almost skipped it. At a park with the signal that large I surely would have ignored it. Ended up with a cut finger and 64 silver coins. 1 Morgan dollar, 8 Reale, 12 Halfs, 11 Quarters and 39 dimes. I havnt checked for any key dates and most look to be in good shape. I'm amazed over this 8 Reale, looks to be 1830 Zs. Checked off the bucket list:headbang: Like I said Ive heard stories of people finding caches but never dreamed my coil would get over one. Thanks for looking GL&HH

WP_20170428_20_56_55_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_55_37_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_56_23_Pro.jpg WP_20170428_21_56_49_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 147
OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friends own the property. I found a picket post there from the CW late last year. We were NOT looking for caches, but when I was talking to my friend, the owner yesterday, they were talking about two possible houses on the property which are no longer there. Hidden money was mentioned, but you know how legends are. That's why they call them legends.
Now for trees...There WERE some old trees there until about 10 years ago. In that same hedge row. Up towards there house there are some big ones they will be taken down soon. Those are probably 75 to 100 years old. The glass jar which was broken looks dating to the age of the newer coins, which is 1940's, maybe newer. It had a screw lid like a mason jar, but a small size jar. These were not collector grade coins. And as caches go, assuming we have it all, not a huge one. I was there, I should know. Farmer had just disced. It had also a light rain they night before and the ground was fluffy, and the moisture retention was in the shade only, or about 4" down. Wind blows like all get out on that place. We have found a few wheaties, indians and buffalos, at least I have, but they have been scattered. Also found a spill the plow got about 150 feet away. Those were primarly early mercs with 1 or 2 barbers. I wonder if this was a child's stash? That was mentioned earlier. I can just imagine a grandparent giving a child the "lower grade" coins from his or her collection, and then the child burying them, maybe to keep safe from a sibling or whatever. Guess we'll never know.

I'm doing final processing on a video. Hope to have it up tonight. Didn't get fancy with titles or anything. But the whole dig is live to the end when the camera ran out of juice. I did a Windows Media player file so youtube wouldn't eat it. I have PROFESSIONAL video equipment, and these big programs take a bit to coerce into obedience.

Now I want to go back and see WHAT ELSE is there. We still have over 50 undetected acres.

Thank you Smokeythecat. I cant wait for the video, my expression is probably priceless.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Video is live on youtube. Youtube User ID is wiley8me

Most of you don't like clicking on links, just go there and you'll see it.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very odd to find a cache of coins with such a huge span between dates from 1830 to 1945. evidently someone's collection that was rat-holed away, rather than a stash of spending money secreted away because of distrust in banks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was someone's culled collection. My grandmother had a coin collection. She gave me some of the, back then, uglier silvers. I was maybe 10 and squirreled them away in a box. Had it hid real good for awhile. Then mom found it and took it to the bank. I thought I was getting those exact ones back. Little did I know. I think you're seeing the culls from someone's collection given to a child then the child buried them for protection. That stretch of woods would have been wider, could have just been lost in the child's hiding spot, and as the field expanded, was covered over. I would never admit to having several "forts" in the woods when little. Now re the dig, We didn't find the lid. But really didn't look much for it. There was only 1 really old coin, the Mexican. Everything else from what I saw was 1880 something to 1945. We can only guess. Doesn't even matter, it's Darryl's now! I did get two Barbers and two standing liberties a few feet away in the field. I was walking all over part of the disseminated coins while doing the filming. I actually sat my detector down on where we eventually found 1 coin. It was so much fun! Even if I only got 4.

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found that this would be a eulogy post, not a today's find post. Fan-freaking-tastic find! Can't see how you'll top this one, but you never know. Congrats!

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found that this would be a eulogy post, not a today's find post. Fan-freaking-tastic find! Can't see how you'll top this one, but you never know. Congrats!

Thank you saftgeek. I don't know if ill ever top this find, and I'm cool with that LOL. Whats next a gold coin or confederate cache!!! Thank you also to everyone who commented and liked this thread. This will be a day I will never forget and I'm glad I could share it with you all. If you havnt had a chance, watch the video smokeythecat had posted. It is a live dig of the cache.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give it a 50 50 chance there is more silver there. Just a hunch.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible!!!!! I'll be voting Banner!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible pile of silver! Little bit of everything in there, crazy that there's an 8 Real in the mix.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a haul of coins. Your digging pouch/apron must of got quite heavy towards the end of that dig. Congrats!

Last edited:

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Once in a lifetime find! SUper congrats!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I heard that slight "crunch" of glass" after Darryl had located the main part of the collection, I got all kinds of excited. Was a lot of fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread