Um...1796 Liberty Cap Largecent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
Well I got out with a fellow from my Metal detecting club tonight...We had our meeting last night and we had made plans to visit a site that we both had permission at....Which as it turns out is the same site GoldFever and I hit over the weekend. We decided to hunt for 2 hours in the morning and then return for an evening hunt!....Well This morning all I found was a small toy pistol....Missing the grips...My Hunting buddy found a Shield nickel though....So after returning this evening we decided to work the same areas together....Well after a hour with nothing more to show for it than 3 clad pennies and 1 clad dime....I decided to go to my car and grab a drink and perhaps hit the other side of the front lawn...30 Minutes passed and I had found 2 flat buttons....Nothing to write home about....So I decided to walk over to John and let him know I was calling it quits for the night....Well about 30' from him while walking in a straight line dragging my detector along in front of me...I hit a solid signal...After a quick pinpoint i determine that the target is only .5 to 1in deep...Now not wanting to waste my time digging a clad penny when I was trying to leave I passed on this signal...Well....after 2 minutes of standing there I decided Why not....I will dig it....And I am glad I did....As soon as I flipped the plug (basically just the sod) There she was....Old lady liberty staring up at me....Well a quick field cleaning and I notice a 6 at the end of the date....Hmmmmm SO I threw her in my car and headed home.....After arriving home I rinsed her off and Discovered she was a 1796!!! The full word LIBERTY is visible on the top and the 96 on the date are splendid...The 17 is also visible...(maybe not in the pix) However the back seems warn smooth...I will soak it for the night and have another photoshoot with Lady Liberty tomorrow...Well there you have it folks...You just NEVER know....I will NOT be passing on any good signals EVER again!!! HH and thanks for reading~~~~ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• 1796.jpg
    1796.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 666
  • 17962.jpg
    17962.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 660
  • 17963.jpg
    17963.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 675
  • 17964.jpg
    17964.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 656
  • 17965.jpg
    17965.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 661
  • 17966.jpg
    17966.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 664
Upvote 0

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Nice find,
I've found two of them and they both look like yours, that's what happens when you're in the ground for over 200 years.
I hope you find some more of them.
CC

Ralphw

May 26, 2003
long island ny
Detector(s) used
white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar
how many times have we done that on the way to the car ....beeeeep.... and left it.... makes ya wonder.... nice find

SMS88

Mar 3, 2007
Culinay Institute of America, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
You were smart to dig that shallow signal. In upstate NY, the soil is rocky and coins sink slowly or not at all. At the Culinary Institute, I found a navy button, a seated dime, and many indian head cents all at 1" or less. That penny is worth at least $350, even in good. Hope you learned a valuable lesson, Nice job. I'm in quicksand soil long island for the summer, love to find something like that when i return in the fall!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job on the coin! Your photos need a lil work, though!! JK.

Try the macro mode (tulip icon) a tripod, no flash, and the self timer and your photos will be perfect!!

WTG on the coin!!!

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
SMS88 said:
You were smart to dig that shallow signal. In upstate NY, the soil is rocky and coins sink slowly or not at all. At the Culinary Institute, I found a navy button, a seated dime, and many indian head cents all at 1" or less. That penny is worth at least $350, even in good. Hope you learned a valuable lesson, Nice job. I'm in quicksand soil long island for the summer, love to find something like that when i return in the fall!
I am not thinking this would be considered good condition...I think the back is worn very bad...It may not be visible....I wonder what she is worth in this kind of condition...I am thinking 20-40 bux....Maybe some experts will chime in. ;D

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Neil in West Jersey said:
Great job on the coin! Your photos need a lil work, though!! JK.

Try the macro mode (tulip icon) a tripod, no flash, and the self timer and your photos will be perfect!!

WTG on the coin!!!
I took quick photos...I had to take them like that so you could make out the words and date. I will take better pix tomorrow with my good cam and hopefully they come out better.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Great Coin! It just goes to show, it never hurts to look.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, amazing find, congrats.
Got to love finding some goodies walking back t the car.
It's amzing how often that happens huh. Great find!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Holy Crap! That rocks!
Baggins

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find!!! :o Many congrats!!!!

Nana

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the comments....I think this is my first pre 1800 large cent. I will have to check through mine.....I am just lucky enough to have stumbled across its hiding spot! HH

R

RUDY2003

Cool coin buddy. 1796, now thats' old.
Maybe I shouldn't pass over pennies anymore.....

Keep diggin'...

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done good. Nice find ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
outraged

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
KirkPA said:
Was she found in a cornfield? I dig all siggies there. Even if they read at 1 inch above the ground. hehehe
She was right in the middle of the front lawn at a home built in the early 1700s. This place has been hunted pretty hard by a local guy. He happened to be there with me when I found it....He then told me he had not found anything older than 1888 prior to my large cent...He did manage a shield nickel there yesterday though. I will be heading back this afternoon and hopefully uncover some more treasure! If not that would be fine also...This coin is enough of a haul from this site to have made it all worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread