Hunted out Spots are Never Really Hunted out! Found an 1851 Large Cent!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the woods on Tuesday where I found two silver quarters a couple of weeks ago. This was probably the 40th time I've done this spot. Even though it covers around 20 acres, that's lot of times to do one area! But it has dozens of stone walls, so you never know.

This find was about two feet from a stone wall and in between two trees. That may explain why I never found it before now. Got a solid 90 signal, so I was thinking ox knob (again). Dug down about 7 inches and out pops a large cent! Thickest large cent I've ever found. I was hoping for one from the 1790's, but no luck. It's an 1851 and it cleaned up pretty good. Just toothpicked it for the past couple of days to get some decent detail.

The crud on this coin was on really tight, but I figured it would clean up okay, due to being really thick. It took the abuse and looks good. I may still toothpick it a little more, but I'm not going to push it. Probably the nicest LC I've ever dug. Here's a few pics:

1851 obverse.JPG 1851 reverse.JPG DSC06818.JPG DSC06820.JPG

Upvote 23

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tim, it's gorgeous. For New England, it has a lot of detail still left. Congrats. -Lisa & John (from Mass)

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like a beautiful coin, persistence has really paid off for you

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys! The AT Pro really helps cut down on the trash. I used to dig a ton of steel bottle caps with my Ace 250. They always rang up like a quarter signal. Now when I get a signal that's 83 or higher, I take it seriously. It's usually a quarter, silver or a large cent. It's a very nice machine, once you get the hang of detecting in zero mode.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A beautiful LC find, congratulations! :occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find FreeBird- NE strikes again!

-- Jeff --

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"zero" at 1 bar down, no disc,----then hover the slightest hits--- the deep stuff can get better if you remove the top layer---then a low VDI can change BIGLY to a higher VDI

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread