New Dirt=CHS made SC button, Eagle Button, Mystery Trade weight, USN Silver

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since VMI is off playing in a large sandbox, I figured I would go find some buttons and other relics per tradition. I was able to secure a new permission through a classmate. Her family's home is in an area that saw quite a bit of CW activity, so i was hopeful. The front yard is only like 30x20 feet. It became apparent right away that it was going to be an interesting dig.

This is the first fully intact SC button that i have dug. Yet i'm not certain if it was CW or post CW. The maker PH Shuckmann made buttons, i believe, in Charleston starting in the 1850's. I saw one 18mm example that said it most likely was made for the CW. this is 21mm so not sure. Help would be welcomed on this one. Either way it is in great condition and i'm happy to have it. I thought it was for sure a silver coin because it lit up my ears and it was not very deep.

IMG_4580.jpg IMG_4581.jpg IMG_4593.jpg IMG_4594.jpg

Next button has me searching. So the back mark is STEELE & JOHNSON MFG CO which i'm pretty sure is 1875-1920's back mark. Then the Eagle on the front has a weird head that I don't recognize. 21mm. I haven't been able to match the head to another example to for sure lock down the date. Help needed on this one as well.

IMG_4591.jpg IMG_4592.jpg

My First Trade/Apothecary weight! I always see people finding this and its been on my list. This one however has been a hard one to ID. The Dagger, i have read, means its made in London but i can't find a weight with 2 daggers. the XVII means 17 (can't remember the name of the units) which is around the 1 oz that i measured it at. The symbol on the bottom is also hard to figure out. It almost looks like a tiny lion but i'm not 100% sure of that. Any help would be great, I've looked through like 500 pictures of weights on a website trying to find one like this, to no avail.

IMG_4595.jpg IMG_4596.jpg

I was able to find a couple tiny relics. What looks like a pocket watch knob and then a percussion cap.

IMG_4597.jpg

This spoon was a really cool find. I believe it is a WW2 era Navy Officers spoon that is apart of a larger set, obviously. Im not sure if it is silver plated or not. It is quite heavy and the spoon bowl doesn't seem to be of the same material as the handle. You can kind make out the end of the companies name "International Silver Co." and then "I S" or "L S" not really sure what that means. Either way it's always fun digging up full spoons.

IMG_4598.jpg IMG_4599.jpg IMG_4600.jpg IMG_4601.jpg IMG_4602.jpg

Then I find another spoon and it was deep. This one is hard to read but what i can read is again perplexing. A1 over a 2 then "HEAVY". Help needed on this one as well. Still another one that i'll take!

IMG_4603.jpg IMG_4605.jpg

Scored a couple Wheats and a tiny broken heart ring. And a nice piece of porcelain, would have loved to seen the whole thing.

IMG_4606.jpg IMG_4607.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope y'all can help me answer some of these questions these finds bring up. Good luck out there!

IMG_4608.jpg

Upvote 25

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You found Treasure, Stef. Excellent finds and post!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent group of finds, nice job

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE PIC: I cleaned the Eagle button up and the gold is popping thru now! Happy with it.

IMG_4610.jpg

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just noticed that in that piece of porcelain you can make out the the Ol Red White and Blue flying in the wind! Now I really wish I could see the whole vase, bowl, whatever it was.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, that small yard kicked butt! congrats

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start on making the Major lick his computer screen while he's out playing with goat herders. Now have to find some spots that are just a little older to make him bang his head on the cave walls.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start on making the Major lick his computer screen while he's out playing with goat herders. Now have to find some spots that are just a little older to make him bang his head on the cave walls.

Yeah he will not be pleased with those buttons thats for sure. I honestly was just expecting some 1940's silver or something...not anything like what i found.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool variety of finds. Great buttons!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button came out great with all the gold gilt; add in the trade weight and you ended up with a great day by any measure!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great new permission-lots of goodies. My favorite is the scale weight-that's an old one & I hope you have success getting an id.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool variety of finds. Great buttons!
Thank you sir!

That button came out great with all the gold gilt; add in the trade weight and you ended up with a great day by any measure!

Yeah I was pleased with how it turned out for sure. The SC button looks like it has some gilt left too but i might leave it be for now. Still haven't been able to match the weight with any other example..Thinking Georgian, seems that by the Victorian era they had more standard markings on the weights like actual numbers. Thanks for looking

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great new permission-lots of goodies. My favorite is the scale weight-that's an old one & I hope you have success getting an id.

Thanks DnD! I think I've looked at 1500+ examples now and no luck. But yeah i still have the back yard and im hoping that it might lead to more houses in the area.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Bump* Trying to get more eyes on this post so y'all can help me with some of the I.D.'s I have a couple emails out trying to narrow down the age of the buttons.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt man! I really like that weight... Hopefully Cru stops by and gives his input on it. Killer buttons too.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a really nice hunt Steph. The SC button is really sweet... even says "Charleston" on it. I also like the weight.

Best of luck to you sir!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread