Old Farm & Apprentice Hunt. He's HOOKED !

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. My younger coworker is finally done chasing mushrooms through the forests so he found us an old farm to hunt. We weren't finding much at first but, I scored an 1890 "V" Nickel in the front yard and when I showed it to him he about freaked. He didn't believe I could pull an old coin out of the dirt that easy. Well, I felt kinda' sorry for the kid so I scouted targets for him to dig. There weren't a lot of good coin signals until my Makro Racer 2 swung over a solid low to mid 90's repeatable signal all the way around 360 degrees. I shouted out to him to come and dig it but, he was feeling a bit dejected not finding much on his own. I finally convinced him to get over here with my Whites M6 I was loaning him. He swung all the way around and that M6 gave it's WAY SWEAT HIGH tone all around it. Never sure whether your gonna' actually dig big silver or a flattened aluminum can I dug a very gracious plug around the target. Flipped the plug for my apprentice and told him to find what's making that sweet sound. He located the target in the plug making it only about three inches deep actually. Once he got his paws on the round silver we both thought it would be an aluminum plug. LOL! Once he brushed away enough dirt that I could make out it was a Barber Half I said STOP! LOL! I grabbed the coin and told him he had just recovered an 1898 Barber Half Dollar San Francisco minted. He's a chubby little guy but, he did manage to jump about six inches off the ground and let out a shout. I'll never forget that moment. I washed the coin with some water and we shared our thoughts for a few moments and went back to hunting. I told him I was NO LONGER feeling any pity for him and he was on his own now.:wave: 001.JPG 002.JPG I managed to get another nice 45' S War Nickel so we both had a great day and one I am sure my apprentice buddy will not forget. The stuff dreams are made of peeps. Kurios1

Last edited:
Upvote 21

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome finds, that one may be hard for him to top

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure. I think I've only recovered three Barber half dollars since 2008 when I began to detect. They don't come easy.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the big silver. We get so many 90's signals and hardly never pull a half out. For someone to be there and enjoy the excitement with you is even better.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments and support. Training a new detectorist takes a lot of patience. We went back to the sight yesterday in hopes of more treasure. I did manage another old nickel, 1919 Buffalo completing my nickel trifecta one day later. My buddy did score a 1925 s wheat penny so he is on his way. I have yet to get him trained with his father's Minelab Explorer SE. A bit more complex machine than the Makro Racer & Whites M6 I have been letting him swing. Thanks again. Kurios1

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the silver! :occasion14:

He is definitely hooked now! :icon_thumleft:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to both of you on a good day swinging! :occasion14:
A Barber Half and some V's are sweet finds!
Good story and my fav part was - "he did manage to jump about six inches off the ground"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread