1807 DBHC, 1858 FE, Cufflinks, Buttons and Awesome Iron - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 1807 DBHC, 1858 FE, Cufflinks, Buttons and Awesome Iron

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    16312 times
    Relic Hunting
    I'm not going to rush through your reply to Bill on the preservation method. I'm in the midst of the house renovation project, so like always your posts keep me inspired ​to get finished so I can play with hunting and working with the iron. Thanks again for your time, in doing yet another great show and tell.

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1387 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice write up on your wax process. Why do people use paraffin over candle wax when it seems that cheap candle wax does the trick?

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    XP Deus, GPX 4500, Equinox 800, AT Max
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyfresh View Post
    Nice write up on your wax process. Why do people use paraffin over candle wax when it seems that cheap candle wax does the trick?
    Honestly, I'm not sure. Candles are made from paraffin wax. Perhaps people use paraffin to not have color or scent. But it's more expensive than just buying an bunch of cheap unscented candles. Some people also use microcrystalline wax, but that's even more expensive... I've hot waxed 1000's of nails and 100's of electrolysis preserved iron pieces over the last few years and they've held up awesome. I have had to reboil some of my earlier pieces because I didn't leave them in the wax long enough the first time as I was learning the process. If you take them out too early, they'll discolor around the pores of the iron after a year or so because they weren't properly dried and sealed. Reboiling them fixes this. That's why I leave them sitting​ in the wax for 10 min or so after boiling to ensure they're properly dried and sealed now.

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Z.K. View Post
    Super post as usual. Tough to call my favorites of the bunch, but the floral cast piece (would that have adorned a mantelpiece?), spade blade, and those cufflinks I spy really pop out...the latter in part because I've never dug one, let alone a set.

Congrats on your first curry comb and going from a pair to a flock of eagles!
    Thanks a ton man! I've been looking at that piece of cast iron and trying to figure out what it was. I was thinking mantle or large wood stove too... or something like that. Its broken in half, but there are two bolt holes on one side. One hole has a bolt in it with a square nut on it... so It's got some age to it for sure. Not sure if you remember, but last year I got on a freaken cufflink streak on my sifting trips... I ended up with something like 17 links from my main site, with a linked set (my first). Funny how that happens. This was my second complete linked set and I was really hopeful they weren't toasted, but they are. Hope you get one soon. I run my Deus in a higher frequency (18khz) that hits better on smaller targets, so perhaps that's why I keep finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    I'm not going to rush through your reply to Bill on the preservation method. I'm in the midst of the house renovation project, so like always your posts keep me inspired ​to get finished so I can play with hunting and working with the iron. Thanks again for your time, in doing yet another great show and tell.
    Thanks a lot man! As I was writing Bill and Joey about the hot wax thing, I realized how insanely long it was... so I always appreciate anyone taking the time to read it. I did a lot of detecting in 2016 and I've been doing mostly house projects in 2017... all the projects I put off last year, I'm paying for now. haha But I have gotten out a few times, just not as much as I'd like. So I feel your pain on the renovation you're in the middle of.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAdv View Post
    Thanks man. When I started detecting, the internet didn't exist and therefore I didn't know what most of what I dug was, or how to preserve it properly. I left a couple complete iron stirrups by a barn because they were "junk". Sad! Hopefully its not too late to get that shovel you left. I'd dug a couple tools with wood still on them and its certainly not common.

Thanks a ton man. That spade made me really happy. I'm unsure if there was a bracket on the eye that would have extended up the shaft of the handle, or if the handle was just nailed into the eye. I've dug those brackets before and I've dug spade blades... but I'm not sure of all the styles. I suppose it was whatever the blacksmith could do to make a sturdy tool... and that's how he made it.

The wax process is super simple, however probably a little dangerous since its working with boiling wax and wet iron I've been doing it for 3 or 4 years now with no problems at all. I picked that 1980's coleman stove up at a flea market for about $10. They're very easy to find at flea markets and they last forever. New ones are much pricier. Walmart sells those cheap aluminum pots I use for about $10. The smaller one is best because the stove can heat it up better. Then I buy CHEAP unscented white candles... typically also at Walmart since the big ones in a 3-pack are just a few bucks. I melt them in the pot on the Coleman and remove the wicks and labels.

After electrolysis I use baking soda and the garden hose and make a paste, then scrub the iron with the paste and a Harbor Freight wire brush. This removes some of the loose scale and some of the black carbon that sticks to it. Then I hose them off very well to make sure all the baking soda and junk is removed. I'll attach a piece of bailing wire to them to make it easier to remove from the hot wax. Then right away, they go into the hot wax on the Coleman stove in my driveway. You'll know when it reaches boiling because the water in the iron will boil off and foam the wax. The wax will smoke some, but that's normal. I typically let it boil for about 5-10 min or so until there aren't really any more bubbles coming from the iron. Then I turn the burner off and let them sit for 10 min or so in the wax to cool a little and allow the wax to penetrate more. Then I remove them and put them on construction paper and blot them with paper towels to keep the wax from pooling, then hang them up by the wire and continue to blot them as they cool. The great thing is its only about 30 min from the time they come out of electrolysis until they are completely dried, cooled and preserved. SO there is no long drying, flash rusting, and poly coats that take a while. Its just my personal preference, but I like the dull satin coating the wax leaves.

My safety concerns: Having wax past the boiling temps of water is obviously a little dangerous. I wear leather gloves when working with it and have a pair of old channel lock pliers I use to fish pieces out if the wire on each piece gets too hot. If I put a thick piece like an ax bit in, I'll also wear safety glasses too. Never had it happen, but I suppose a void in a cast thick piece of iron could fill with steam and pop... I like seeing things, so I'll protect my eyes! I'm fire-phobic too and don't take hot wax and an open flame lightly even though its outside... however I'm also a bit ADD and go from one thing to the next a little too fast and I forgot I had the wax pot on for over 40 min once on full heat. I came back to it and it was billowing smoke, but never caught fire. So they tells me its pretty damn hard to ignite, but I don't want to find out. The pots come with a top too, so it'd be easy to just put the lid on if something did happen. That said, my biggest concern is putting the pot of boiling wax in a safe place while it cools. I have old bricks I dug up that I place it on out of the way to cool off. The wax lasts for years. I've only replaced it once with fresh wax... but typically I just add a new candle to it every year or so to keep it at the right level for the wax I lose to each piece of iron.

So that's all the info you guys need to know! Don't let my safety concerns deter you... I'm overly cautious but the whole process is super simple. My neighbors probably think I'm cooking up a weekly batch of meth in my driveway too... why else would you have an old stove and smoking pots sitting in your driveway.
    Wow - I didn't expect you to go to all that trouble Brad, but I definitely appreciate you taking the time to lay out your step-by-step process. I'm definitely going to save this and maybe give it a try one day. I feel like you're getting better results than my method, so I might just have to become an apprentice to the Master .
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Detect smarter, not harder.

Mar 2014
    17th century
    Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
    13069 times
    FOUNDING MEMBER: Basstards of Bramble
    Banner Finds (6)
    Awesome post Brad. All those hoes are in amazing shape, and that triangular one is a type I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately all of my hoe finds are completely destroyed so that's pretty amazing you found them on one hunt. Now the shovel head is really killing me - it's on my list and yours is just a killer example. Also you did a great job preserving the bone handle knife, and everything overall. And I'm in, with Bill and Joey for a Master's apprentice class.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I think a lot of people don't realize the time and effort it takes to make such a post for Tnet. Cheers

"Take the detecta-drama elsewhere - I'm just here to dig!"

Running totals:

Hammered Silvers - 2
    Hammered Coppers - 1
    Milled Spanish Silver - 14
    Transitional US State Coppers - 9
    United States Cent/Half cent Coppers - 131
    British & Other colonial Coppers - 107
    Slick coppers - too painful to talk about
    Silver Coins - We’ll over a 1000

Favourite Finds:
    1665 1-reale Spanish Cob
    Revolutionary War stirrup
    1812 2nd Regiment Artillarists pewter button
    1695 Willam 3rd Halfpenny in excellent condition
    G.W. Inagural Buttons - 6 Point Estoile cuff variety
    Love token etched on 1859 seated Dime
    1831 Louis Phillippe 1st - 5 Franc
    1783 Nova Constelatio, Crosby-3C &. Crosby-1B
    1749 Regal King George II Farthing
    1776 Counter King George iii

If it ain't at least seated, it aint Sh*t

us
    Dec 2006
    Ocean City, Md
    XP Deus. Have Blisstool V6 but only used once.
    1480 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great finds and you take great care in preserving them - as always.

us
    Colonial relic hound

Jun 2015
    South Carolina
    Minelab Equinox 800
    3170 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great job with the electrolysis and preservation s usual, Brad-that spade looks great. I've only found one and part of the blade was rusted away. The early LC and flying eagle cent are some really good finds too, but my favorite is the flowered iron piece-possibly part of a wood stove?

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D. (VA) View Post
    Wow - I didn't expect you to go to all that trouble Brad, but I definitely appreciate you taking the time to lay out your step-by-step process. I'm definitely going to save this and maybe give it a try one day. I feel like you're getting better results than my method, so I might just have to become an apprentice to the Master .
    Anytime Bill! It's pretty straight forward, and I've shown you some pieces I've boiled... but if you ever want to see the wax finish on some of your pieces just send them my way man.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
    Awesome post Brad. All those hoes are in amazing shape, and that triangular one is a type I hadn't seen before. Unfortunately all of my hoe finds are completely destroyed so that's pretty amazing you found them on one hunt. Now the shovel head is really killing me - it's on my list and yours is just a killer example. Also you did a great job preserving the bone handle knife, and everything overall. And I'm in, with Bill and Joey for a Master's apprentice class.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I think a lot of people don't realize the time and effort it takes to make such a post for Tnet. Cheers
    Thanks a ton man... I always appreciate hearing that people enjoy my long @$$ posts. Haha Joking aside, I REALLY do appreciate it though. You're right, it takes a while to put one together. I probably dig 6 broken hoes for every complete one... not sure if that's a good ratio or not, but I do find tons of them and always love the complete ones. Before that hunt my old record was 2 complete hoes in one hunt! I'd have to dig up a tool shed to beat 3. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by gwdigger View Post
    Great finds and you take great care in preserving them - as always.
    Thanks a ton man. I really appreciate it. .

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DownNDirty View Post
    Great job with the electrolysis and preservation s usual, Brad-that spade looks great. I've only found one and part of the blade was rusted away. The early LC and flying eagle cent are some really good finds too, but my favorite is the flowered iron piece-possibly part of a wood stove?
    Thanks a ton man. I think this is the closest I came to a complete spade before this one and the tops broken off. This came from a trash pit last winter and it's still encrusted with charcoal!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170514_212842_1494811812324.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	708.0 KB 
ID:	1451389

I suppose that could be a giant hoe blade, but it's the size of a spade. I haven't preserved it and not sure if I will. The complete one I found in this post was in much better condition though and I couldn't​ be more pleased with it.

That's flower piece is really cool. I think it's a wood stove piece of something related. I'm making some brackets to hang this stuff in a display now since I'm out of shelf space. Ha

ca
    Nov 2010
    Canada
    XP Deus, ATPro
    6670 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Dude you are the relic master! Those items are lucky to be found by someone who respects them and treats them right. Excellent job!

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Cache View Post
    Dude you are the relic master! Those items are lucky to be found by someone who respects them and treats them right. Excellent job!
    Thanks a ton man! I appreciate the nice comments. I have more preserved iron than I have display room, so I need to figure something out so I can enjoy these pieces.

us
    Aug 2016
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
    1409 times
    Metal Detecting
    HOLY SMOKES!! It looks like you fit a whole year of detecting into just a short time. Congrats on all these excellent finds. -Lisa & John

us
    Apr 2013
    East Coast - USA
    3345 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by btjbtj View Post
    HOLY SMOKES!! It looks like you fit a whole year of detecting into just a short time. Congrats on all these excellent finds. -Lisa & John
    Thank you Lisa! Hope you guys are making some good finds at your property

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links