Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I intended to detect today after getting my truck serviced. On the way to the garage I received a text from John asking if I was going detecting today.
We agreed to meet at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore City.

I made it to the park by 10:45AM and we hunted there for about an hour. I had suggested we try another spot neither of us had detected before, outside the immediate confines of the park. We gave it a good try but nothing "old" was found. We persisted and before long I got a "90" VDI shallow target that I had some trouble locating cleanly, so after not finding my target in the first hole, I dug an adjacent hole. What I found there had me calling over to John. The piece is Sterling with a dollar symbol at one end and a bezelled 1891O Morgan dollar at the other end.
MC_1891.jpg clip_parts.jpg

Once home it was discovered through examination of the piece and an on-line search that this is a money clip. The clip came out of the ground fully unfolded.
The following pic shows its shape restored.

clip_restored.jpg

Here is an example from an Internet source:

839407_view2_02.jpg jennings-sterling-silver-and-1891-silver-coin-money-clip.jpg

This is a Jennings Company piece like mine; the Jennings Company was established in Bridgeport, CT in 1890.
I do not know the age of the clip I dug today.

This is just another example of how we are always surprised by the targets we dig.

That find gave us a momentary push to continue there but we soon decided to head across town to two adjacent parks to detect for the balance of the day.

I should add here that John did well to this point with some wheats, a V-nickel and an IHC. His find continued to grow as the afternoon wore on.

At one point we were detecting near a soccer field and I had just cut a plug for a faint high-tone and noticed the soccer team had begun their jog around the field and would reach me before the extraction, so I just walked away for a bit 'til they passed and then found this Sterling 4-way Cross medal.

4_way_cross_sterling.jpg

About fifteen minutes before I dug this beauty, John pulled a silver Washington quarter from the field and some wheats.

I finished detecting at 5:30 PM and we headed over to the vehicles to look at the day's finds. Here are a couple of other keepers that I recovered today along with over $4.50 in clad.

1930_wheat.jpg 1969_Canada_nickel.jpg Stamped_4024.jpg

Any thoughts on that metal piece that's hand-stamped "4024" are welcome.
Thanks for check out the pics! HH and GL!

Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jamie! It's one of those coins I never thought I'd find.

P.S. Haven't made it back to Dundalk since September 2016 but plan to soon.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks McClod! Frederick is a place I keep meaning to get to for detecting.
A friend of mine in the Sacramento area found an 1811 French coin (silver) recently.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks metalworker! Think the hunt took some different turns that wouldn't have happened had I been hunting alone. Done plenty of that and I like the solitude but it was good to hunt with a partner on Friday.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some sweet finds! :occasion14:
That Morgan money clip totally rocks! :headbang:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx jss1216! Those Sacs are cool to find. I've dug two this year and it's always a thrill; think they ring up a little higher than a quarter.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Stretch! It was a good day of diggin'. It's funny that I missed the target on the first hole when you consider how large it was in the ground. The clip was completely unfolded. I don't usually dig two plugs to recover one target.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx Stretch! It was a good day of diggin'. It's funny that I missed the target on the first hole when you consider how large it was in the ground. The clip was completely unfolded. I don't usually dig two plugs to recover one target.

You're welcome! Totally cool find. Two plugs are odd for one find but well worth the effort. I hope you use the money clip. If I found that I would be using it all the time for sure!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I can certainly say I've never found a money clip. With a Morgan inside, let alone anything else. Good job.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx smokey! What falls to the ground sometimes gets to see the light of day, rescued by a 'digger'.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am without words... Except Congrats!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Roger! It was awesome to find silver and pretty cool that my hunting buddy found silver too. He actually came away with two IHCs.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update with video link

Here is compilation slide show of this hunt's timeline and keepers:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is cool! Nice save!

And Yes to unsafe.. I have a few spots I'm looking at ...One.. Turner Station which is bad.. but a early morning raid maybe called for

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Fantastic find on the money clip/Morgan dollar! Thanks for sharing...great job on deciding to work that specific area! HH ALL

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx xr7ator! From the site's original construction in the late 1800s to present there's been a lot of changes to the area. How the clip got there will remain a mystery. I was the first time we hunted there.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx OBN! Very interesting history behind Turner Station. If you need someone to ride shotgun, I'm game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread