Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I intended to detect today after getting my truck serviced. On the way to the garage I received a text from John asking if I was going detecting today.
We agreed to meet at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore City.

I made it to the park by 10:45AM and we hunted there for about an hour. I had suggested we try another spot neither of us had detected before, outside the immediate confines of the park. We gave it a good try but nothing "old" was found. We persisted and before long I got a "90" VDI shallow target that I had some trouble locating cleanly, so after not finding my target in the first hole, I dug an adjacent hole. What I found there had me calling over to John. The piece is Sterling with a dollar symbol at one end and a bezelled 1891O Morgan dollar at the other end.
MC_1891.jpg clip_parts.jpg

Once home it was discovered through examination of the piece and an on-line search that this is a money clip. The clip came out of the ground fully unfolded.
The following pic shows its shape restored.

clip_restored.jpg

Here is an example from an Internet source:

839407_view2_02.jpg jennings-sterling-silver-and-1891-silver-coin-money-clip.jpg

This is a Jennings Company piece like mine; the Jennings Company was established in Bridgeport, CT in 1890.
I do not know the age of the clip I dug today.

This is just another example of how we are always surprised by the targets we dig.

That find gave us a momentary push to continue there but we soon decided to head across town to two adjacent parks to detect for the balance of the day.

I should add here that John did well to this point with some wheats, a V-nickel and an IHC. His find continued to grow as the afternoon wore on.

At one point we were detecting near a soccer field and I had just cut a plug for a faint high-tone and noticed the soccer team had begun their jog around the field and would reach me before the extraction, so I just walked away for a bit 'til they passed and then found this Sterling 4-way Cross medal.

4_way_cross_sterling.jpg

About fifteen minutes before I dug this beauty, John pulled a silver Washington quarter from the field and some wheats.

I finished detecting at 5:30 PM and we headed over to the vehicles to look at the day's finds. Here are a couple of other keepers that I recovered today along with over $4.50 in clad.

1930_wheat.jpg 1969_Canada_nickel.jpg Stamped_4024.jpg

Any thoughts on that metal piece that's hand-stamped "4024" are welcome.
Thanks for check out the pics! HH and GL!

Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks alabama11! Thinking the size would rule it out as a worker's tag. Only found one worker's tag here in Baltimore, about a year ago; it was from the 1890s when a company was putting a railroad tunnel through town.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx sliverslave! That beauty won "Club favorite" tonight at our monthly detectorists meeting. I had a few members tell me it was a sure winner, but it was up against some truly remarkable finds from this past month. One member found that very elusive 1877 IHC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread