FIRST GOLD $10

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
First gold coin - I did not comprehend i found- it was like my heart stopped.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494770956.853688.jpg

Break in the rain so i decided it was time to do some detecting. I knew i discovered old farm land from 1700's and really wanted to see what i could find.

So i found 4 horseshoes

and 6 oxen shoes

and a large assortment of stuff including a 1882 Gold $10 coin

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494770910.635242.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494770910.635242.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Upvote 60

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barker, meet Gordon.....Gordon ,meet Barker. Wait a minute, they look a lot alike these days...maybe they are twins,maybe I need another drink:laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for non.-believers, I started looking for things in the dirt when I was very little. My mom got me into it. Got my first detector in the late 1980's. I dug over 2,000 Rev War items back in the day including 100 marked Rev War American uniform buttons. Over time I have dug two Rev War belt plates. SIX Civil War plates including two Confederate, hundreds of minie balls and TWO GOLD COINS! Yes folks, you heard right. First one was after hurricane Sandy, the post is buried here somewhere. Went the January after Sandy to the Delaware beach and was walking into the sun at the high tide line. Was like 65 degrees or something like that on that particular day.

Anyway, I spotted it the second the detector saw it, on top of the ground. 1774 British Gold Guinea, good old King George III. Tide has just left it sitting there. A couple years later (or maybe 1 year later, time flies), my daughter found a 1/2 Escudo Spanish gold coin from the same area after they dredged. (That doesn't really count and I couldn't talk her out of it.) She's never even found a silver coin until that day also. I just coerced her to go with me. Second gold coin for me was last May at another beach, a 1945 Mexican 2 1/2 peso. I figure it came out of a jewelry holder or something as it was at a beach and in great shape. It is one ugly coin. Found my first silver cache this year. It does happen for those who pound it and put in the hours.

BTW I LOVE the ox shoes. Keep pounding it.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, find of a lifetime, well done!

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im saying you cant doubt any find based of the experience of a detectorist. No matter if they have been detecting 50+ years or its their first time, if there swinging in the right spot at the right time anybody has a chance at finding 1. Its basically all dumb luck....... BUT without a back story or some details it could sound a little shady.

time machine

Dec 23, 2011
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey jss1216 it's not always about research. Sometimes it's about getting the coil over that needle in the haystack and in your
case the needle was a gold coin. AS someone has stated the Holy Grail of finds and I would have to agree with that statement.
Congrats on a find of a life time. TM

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!!!

I've enlarged them here to help some of our members see them more clearly.

Gold1.jpg

Gold2.png

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have to buy a bezel and a gold chain. I would wear it around my neck like a Medal of Honor!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its basically all dumb luck.......
Perhaps for some people that's true. There are a lot of cumulative skills that contribute to being successful.
Yes - if you swing a detector long enough, your bound to find something really good. That's not dumb luck, that's confidence and persistence.

Grandpa swung a coil for 40+ years and never found a gold coin.
He was REALLY good at finding clad coins, trinkets, jewelry, toys, keys, ect.

Great gold coin by the way! Really feels like something valuable when you have it in your hand doesn't it?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gordon; If you look like me then I feel sorry for you and Villagenut doesn't need another drink. He's already stoned.!!!!! :tongue3: PEACE:RONB

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats and i hope someday ill find one. Even just a $5 gold will do! [emoji2][emoji106]

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would certainly stop my heart fining a "big" gold! I'm sure my kid would leave me in the dirt and pocket it saying he found it! :laughing7:

Congrats on a lifetime find!!!!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread