Twin Rosies down the Third Base Line!!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I had a good hunt earlier in the week and it interested my son and a friend so we were gonna head out on Sat to do some more exploring. I rounded up the 3 detectors and digging gear but neither ended up wanting to go out. Well I was not about to waste a decent day sitting around doing nothing so I headed out by myself.

The park was empty so I had the place to myself. Just the way I like it! Last trip I got lucky with 2 Merc's down the first base side of the field so I decided to try the other side. I dug a ton of targets. Some nice finds and a lot of junk. Them pull tabs are just so similar to nickles I think I am gonna give up on that target as I only got 1 nickle to what seemed like a 100 tabs.

Junk Pile.jpg

Within about 10' of each other I pulled out 1947 Silver Rosies swinging down the third base line. They were both about 5" down. Knew I had Silver as soon as I seen them in the holes. Crazy to find two coins with the same date on them real close to each other. Best part was they were both Silver! Twins to boot!

da goods.jpg

I ended up with a big pile of clad for the day and I was impressed. I got a 41 & 47 Wheatie, 39 regular pennies, 4 quarters, 1 nickle and 7 regular dimes.

Pile of clad.jpg

Hit some other odd items too. I found a key 5" down, a bullet, an earring and a watch part or jewelry piece... might have held a stone in a pendant? Not quite sure.

Over all a great day out. Funny part was a guy was out walking his dog and he ashed if I like dogs as she wanted to come say Hello. I said Yes and she came over and was sniffing and I petted her and she gave me a couple of licks. She jumped down and started digging in the hole I was working on. It was pretty cute. Ended up being a crushed Coors Light can down about 9". How does a CL can get down so deep?

Can't wait to get back out and see what second base has in store for me!

Hope you all had a great weekend out swinging!

:occasion14: Stretch

Upvote 14
OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a good day to me congrats on your finds
It was a great day! Thanks Art!

Excellent hunt,,
Congrats on the Double Rosies.
Thanks! It was pretty sweet. Doubles are a killer find. Heck, one Silver is a cool day in my book!

t_r.gif
t_o.gif
s.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE FINDS Stretch :..
Thanks VP! Just getting out swinging is always fun. Silver gives the ear to ear grins!

Thanks! A ton of Clad and a couple of Silvers makes Stretch a happy guy!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A double silver day is a great day congrats!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the silver, yeah the pull tabs get pretty old but when they turn into gold, I kinda like it. If I am finding a lot of them, then they have been skipped over or the spot hasn't detected which means possible gold in area.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job, double silver day is a great day in my books!

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A double silver day is a great day congrats!
Thanks! Two Double Days for me last week! It's gonna be hard to top that.

congrats on the silver, yeah the pull tabs get pretty old but when they turn into gold, I kinda like it. If I am finding a lot of them, then they have been skipped over or the spot hasn't detected which means possible gold in area.
Thanks! True I would hate to pass on Gold but I don't think they ring in the same as tabs. I believe Gold comes in about 30 or so. Will have to test again.

Nice job, double silver day is a great day in my books!
Thank you! A Silver day is a good day and it brings smiles for sure.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the twin Rosies! That's a nice hunt! Targets tend to be deeper on average in baseball fields since they are constantly getting stepped on and run over by maintenance equipment and lawn mowers. I've dug zinc Lincolns 8 inches down and clad quarters 9 inches down in ball fields before. typically the farther you get from the infield, the more "normal" it gets (i.e. wheats and silver at 5-6 inches and below) so you might want to move farther out. As for nickles, if you're using the Deus, they typically ring up at 53-57 if they are shallow and tend to ride up the scale if they're deep. So a loud 55 could be a nickel, but a loud 65 or 70 is almost always a pull tab (or can slaw), but a deeper 65-70 has a decent chance of being a nickel, and I've even had nickels ring up in the 80's if they were really deep with a high pitched squeak. Yesterday I pulled a V with a 73 signal at 6 inches for example.

OP
OP
Stretch Da Truth

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the twin Rosies! That's a nice hunt! Targets tend to be deeper on average in baseball fields since they are constantly getting stepped on and run over by maintenance equipment and lawn mowers. I've dug zinc Lincolns 8 inches down and clad quarters 9 inches down in ball fields before. typically the farther you get from the infield, the more "normal" it gets (i.e. wheats and silver at 5-6 inches and below) so you might want to move farther out. As for nickles, if you're using the Deus, they typically ring up at 53-57 if they are shallow and tend to ride up the scale if they're deep. So a loud 55 could be a nickel, but a loud 65 or 70 is almost always a pull tab (or can slaw), but a deeper 65-70 has a decent chance of being a nickel, and I've even had nickels ring up in the 80's if they were really deep with a high pitched squeak. Yesterday I pulled a V with a 73 signal at 6 inches for example.

Thanks for your info. Those dang tabs and nickles just drive me crazy! So close! I have gotten pretty good at avoiding beer caps especially Corona's that are all over the park! Will keep hunting and digging for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread