Got into the 1800's for this season....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
A small park I have hunted for years that is newer but built on a site that had an old neighborhood I hit yesterday morning for a short hunt.
Full of trash, iron and tons of junk but I have culled a ton of clad from this place over time plus some wheats going back to about the 40's but nothing older.
On my first hunt here I found three steel war cents that I managed to tumble, clean up pretty good and get the dates...I don't expect that to happen again.
Here my strange dirt can do a number on several kinds of coins buried for many decades but for some reason steel cents seem to survive better than any I found in much better dirt in other states which have all been totally rusted unrecoverable discs.

Every time I come here I look hard for areas where way older targets might be hiding, I search front and backyard areas of the houses I saw still standing on 40's images from Historic Aerials but never had much luck...until yesterday.

This was just a short nothing hunt, I went here because it is close to the house and I have a new Nel Sharpshooter coil for my F70 I am trying out at some of my well hunted sites just to see what happens.
In a small area that runs near the edge of the park next to a street, an area I believe was the tiny front yards of some of these small old houses, I sifted through the trash and came across two good signals, both a bit odd and I might have gotten before and passed by but this time I decided to dig them.
Was it the coil, maybe a slightly different and better signal than my Fisher coils gave me if I actually did swung over these before, just luck...who knows?

One was a big signal like a full really thick can but the numbers and tones were strangely solid and non jumping which is unusual in this devil dirt on a 4" deep target...that one turned out to be a big heavy watch case that I tracked back to be I believe pre 1900's and marked nickel silver...mostly nickel is the alloy this company used back then.
The other was a shallow nickel signal at about 2" that was pretty much the same as a jumpy sta tab I get at this site all the time but a bit more solid and stable so I dug it.
Crusty as all heck, I had to take a soft twig and clean the thing the best I could on a break and it took awhile but eventually some images started to emerge.
First some stars around one edge, then part of a bust, then the date.
The back is more toasted but I finally could see the V and the wreath underneath.
Scarred up pretty good on the last two numbers if the date, this is either an 1888 or an 1892...but the first two are clear and no question I am into the 1800's for the first time this year...finally!

Now I know for sure of at least one small specific area in this park that needs more attention.
All of my sites have been scoured for decades and even though the great easy stuff has been found long ago there is still a ton left for us that worked to get a deeper understanding of masked target behavior in this strange environment and my F70 is the perfect tool to do this...for me.
This is why I constantly experiment with new settings, tried this new coil and go back to sites over and over no matter what.
This time, on this nothing hunt I was on where I expected no great targets at all but just got out to take advantage of the cool morning temps it all came together.
Hopefully more to come.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75392_1494783075_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg
    user10659_pic75392_1494783075_PerfectlyClear0001.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 102
  • user10659_pic75390_1494775989 (1)_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75390_1494775989 (1)_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 10

dirtlooter

Gold Member