First Hunt - Silver, Button, and Coin Spill

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Just got a metal detector (cheap Harbor Freight to see if I enjoy the hobby). Went on my first hunt for a couple of hours on a relative's property. The house was built around mid 60's and store next door maybe 50's so I knew not to expect much. Was hoping to find maybe a silver dime or quarter at best.

After digging a couple of pull tabs and turning up the discrimination to eliminate them ( I'm just learning but don't want to dig everything here as the store was a grocery.) Ended up finding 3 clad quarters, a 1944 silver quarter, a Great Seal military button, and my first "coin spill". The spill was a dime and 6 pennies clad. Also, some other trash.

The back of the button is a third gone so I didn't bother with a photo of it. You can make out "Scovil" and the "Water" in waterbury. I looked it up in another thread here.

Was happiest with my first silver. Thanks for looking.

(Edit to add) What is the best way to clean up the button with what I might have in the house?

first silver.jpg

Lee

Upvote 13

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good first hunt. A silver quarter on your first hunt is enough to set the hook.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That's good for hunt #1. it took me several months to find the first silver coin.

I use a toothbrush, soap and water on the Great Seal buttons I find. If you find older buttons, I would NOT do them that way though.

Best of luck to you sir!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a Silver your first time out! :occasion14:
Welcome to MD'ing! I think you are hooked!
Soon you will have 2 or 3 units and then there is no looking back! Enjoy!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Like many of us, first silver for me was a Roosevelt dime. Grats on the finds and good luck not getting the itch now that you've scratched. It's a fun hobby for sure.

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job! Some guys have the luck early. I went over and detected my coworker's house a couple days ago. Showed him how to run my Compadre real quick and turned him loose with it.

Get this: He had me come over to his VERY first target ever so I could dig it for him, since he didn't have a digger or pinpointer, and it turned out to be a silver ring! Hope your luck continues.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I use lemon juice and a toothbrush to clean the old military buttons, but that is just my way of doing it.

OP
OP
Kentuckiana Jones

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments and welcomes. Oh and the cleaning tips.
I definitely plan on doing quite a bit of digging. Told my wife I wouldn't buy a better detector until I found at least $100 worth of stuff. (Didn't tell her the next detector would be double that!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread