Charles II 1660's silver button. Few more relics. Great hunt in a great company.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to show the best finds from this week ends hunt. Had a nice visit from Ken Z.K. from Vermont. We managed to hit a few sites near Montreal with very good results.

Firstly, my favorite and the most unusual find. By far the oldest button or cuff link find since I started detecting and the very first silver one. When I found it on the hunt with Ken I was 100% sure it was a pretty beat and unusual pewter button. Only after getting home and getting it out of the box noticed that the crust dried and flaked away revealing a beautiful silver button with crown and two hurts. With the help from some friends on Treasurenet managed to ID it to the wedding of Charles II of England to Catherine of Braganza in 1662 An awesome and unexpected find! Really excited about it.

Here are some links to the British archaeological records site.
https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/715312

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/616228

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/530118

Note: Although multiple British archaeological records mention the possible association to the Charles II wedding there's some debate over the this connection.

Button or cuff link as found and after a light cleaning. Didn't clean the back part of it.

20170520_105501 (1).jpg 20170520_105511.jpg
Charles II.JPG 2.JPG

An other button found a day before on an other permission was a beautiful Victorian (I would guess late 1830's) 65th Regiment of foot. Still has it's gold gilding. Stunning design that I haven't seen before.

65th.JPG

Than a very nice Royal Sappers and miners 1812 button. Great condition.

Sappers2.JPG

And a large artillery button I guess from 1830's

DSC_1347.JPG

Than an other find on the hunt with Ken. What looks to be a shoe buckle. Never found one of that design and shape.

Buckle.JPG DSC_1358.JPG

DSC_1368.JPG DSC_1363.JPG

Lots of more finds that I don't have the time to post at this moment (really tired after 24 hours of hunts in 2 days)

Thanks for the comments.

Reference : Darch, E (2015) "NMS-79E4FB: A POST MEDIEVAL CUFF LINK" Web page available at: https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/715312 [Accessed: May 22, 2017 04:57:27 AM]

Last edited:
Upvote 31

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your finds are just fantastic man. I always wanted one of those silver style buttons. None yet.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome - I haven't seen those show up before on a colonial period site. Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love that button - a lot of early history there!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, fantastic finds

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That cufflink is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, let alone seen dug...and watching it transform from a tiny pewter-looking mess to that arrestingly pretty piece of deep history is a joy.

I'm still trying to get a full picture of the rarity of this piece and its route to New France. I'm know I'm a tad biased, but just based on what we already know I think a silver 17th century cufflink with that kind of political history, in that condition, 800 miles from the mid Atlantic colonies?? That's a banner in my book.

We're both low-key on Tnet stuff, but I have to say this: you dig things routinely that most people won't ever, and that can make it hard for some to relate to these objects. But your work ethic, research, and skill are the perfect fit for a landscape with almost 400 years of European settlement. Seeing all that dirt-covered history was inspiring.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the cool relics! :notworthy:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Great finds as usual.
Any area with that quality of buttons must have had a lot of other interesting things, any coins on your hunts

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a really cool button! I don't get out enough to find the really good stuff. Good luck and HH!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking buttons the Sapper and Miners came out great. Congrats on the Charles ll silver link it's a beauty. You're having some really great hunts, well done.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds for sure. Congrats!!! [emoji106]

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang man, those finds are really delicious. The Charles button is ultra cool, and I'm a sucker for those artillery buttons.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I'm going to have to say my opinion on this one. Its another internet myth. See the word 'may'. These cuff links (or linked-buttons that went at the top of the shirt) are 18th C, the construction is the same as all the others from this period & cuff links of the earliest type circa 1680s-1690s were completely different.(how can this one buck the trend & predate the first fashionable types) The PAS can't get it right all the time & it just takes 1 mistake for all the others who are clueless to follow suit. Sorry for the bad news, but I guess you prefer the truth.
As for the 65th, that is a smashing find!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, I'm going to have to say my opinion on this one. Its another internet myth. See the word 'may'. These cuff links (or linked-buttons that went at the top of the shirt) are 18th C, the construction is the same as all the others from this period & cuff links of the earliest type circa 1680s-1690s were completely different.(how can this one buck the trend & predate the first fashionable types) The PAS can't get it right all the time & it just takes 1 mistake for all the others who are clueless to follow suit. Sorry for the bad news, but I guess you prefer the truth.

17thC Charles II marriage commemoration silver buttons - a number of these are on display at Colchester museum as they were declared treasure.

http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/silverbuttons.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks man. I always appreciate your comments and expertise. But I'm wondering how can all of the similar finds could be misdated by PAS. I understand the ''may'' part which mentions the possible association to the wedding of Charles and Catherine. But all of the British records I consulted dated it to circa late 17th century. I don't understand how all of them could have made the same error concerning the construction and the style of the 17th century item versus one from the 18th century.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it when the plot thickens! Worthy of debate, this.

Such a great time and find(s) regardless. Worth every mosquito bite (realized last night that they were able to get through a 1mm glove...about 20 times! Mutant Canadian mosquitoes!!) :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread