Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a little cooler today and wanted to get a quick lunchtime hunt in so I went to a local soccer field
I always see people posting gold rings found in soccer fields so I figured why not give it a try

I was digging all the low tones in hope I would find some gold. I got an almost overload low tone that just screamed in my ears. Dig the plug and only 2" down see gold.

Pull it out and I know immediately what it is. A 1984 1/2 ounce 24 karat (.999)panda gold coin. I never thought I would find a gold coin.

I am still shaking as I write this. With the bezel it looks like it was on a necklace I looked all around the area and could t find the necklace.

This was a find of a life time!!!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495642369.548372.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495642380.413932.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495642403.115074.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495642416.195463.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495642440.582287.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 71

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those screw down coin holders are going to be a great thing for detectorists. I think the ugly Mexican small gold coin I found at a beach just over a year ago may have come out of one. All it takes is that little screw to come loose a bit, and the coin is gone.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those screw down coin holders are going to be a great thing for detectorists. I think the ugly Mexican small gold coin I found at a beach just over a year ago may have come out of one. All it takes is that little screw to come loose a bit, and the coin is gone.

3 small turns of the screw and the coin came right out. Siiitng in my safe deposit box now :)

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super sweet find, congrats!

PS I'm voting banner

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent recovery and that's what we all dream about.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes! That is a banner find for sure! Pandas command a premium as it is, but heck, just knowing you got that weight in one shot is amazing. Fantastic stuff and many congrats are in order!

Thanks for the banner nod. I believe it's been a while since a gold coin has been up there

[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Monster find ! Nice going !! All of us dream of finding large high karat gold .Oh yeah , Banner !

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Monster find ! Nice going !! All of us dream of finding large high karat gold .Oh yeah , Banner !

Thanks. It feels so good to hold a gold coin in your hand

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... Banner for sure...

Nice piece of jewelry!

Yes it's a great find. But those that make "banner" on T'net have tended to be those that are numismatic/period losses. Not those mounted in jewelry. The prior are those of historic nature. While the latter tend to be in the category of "jewelry" (albeit, yes, very nice).

Example : I know a guy who's found 2 gold coins, and another (a krugerand, I believe) . So if you were to ask him : "how many gold coins have you found?", he would answer "2". Not 3. Although he'd add suffix: "And one in a bezzle...." :) I have gotten a gold coin in a bezzle, and never counted that in my gold coin count.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A gold coin is a gold coin no matter how you look at it

You can't tell me this isn't a gold coin because a 1/4 screw is holding it in a another piece of gold. [emoji6]

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET ! That is one way of finding a gold coin. Congrats on notching off the TOP bucket list item for most treasure hunters. I reckon I'd be shaking too. I think soccer fields are on my list of places I need to hunt.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for telling me. I wouldn't know personally.:BangHead:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with you there mate. Anyway I can notch a gold coin off my bucket list is fine by me. Old one, new one, straight drop, attached to a pendant holder, etc. You got yours. Claim it.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you swing your coil over a target, iD it worthy to dig and end up with a gold coin worth $600+, man this sounds like he uncovered treasure for sure. If I was browsing tnet on the web and saw a pic of this 1/2 oz coin in the banner I would be inspired to get into the hobby or at least be very envious. It seems like a lot of gold coins are popping up in the last month or so, so maybe too many up there? But I don't think you could ever have too many gold coins adorning the site.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you swing your coil over a target, iD it worthy to dig and end up with a gold coin worth $600+, man this sounds like he uncovered treasure for sure. If I was browsing tnet on the web and saw a pic of this 1/2 oz coin in the banner I would be inspired to get into the hobby or at least be very envious. It seems like a lot of gold coins are popping up in the last month or so, so maybe too many up there? But I don't think you could ever have too many gold coins adorning the site.

Not sure why it hasn't made it up there. Maybe us western pa guys are digging too much good stuff lately lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions