Trappers lead bundle?

riverbottom

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desert finds, lead bundle, swamped octagon 8 inch barrel, any ideas who would be carrying these? Stock lead bundle 002.JPG swamped octagon 8 inch.JPG

Upvote 7

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revolvers were the trend after the War of Northern Aggression ended, so maybe an early trapper or Indian, in which case could have been even later. How much does the bundle of lead weigh? Did you look for the lock, or find any of the furniture or fittings with the barrel, or a bullet mold? Does the barrel appear to be around .45?

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Appears a trade bundle. Have found very similar bundling , was expensive to transport, likely shipped as parallel sticks. What state or region do you hunt ?
Interesting to hear the story.....THANKS for posting !

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

riverbottom

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bundle weighed 4 pounds, here is the flintlock I found nearby as well as a few balls. Caliper does say .045 (through rust) 001.JPG 002.JPG

OP
OP
R

riverbottom

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew the story, a lot of round balls and flintlock parts and pieces, wonder if they were busy switching to percussion because of the amount of parts scattered. I am able to hunt in the Rock Mtn region, and these sites are in the sage brush where you wouldn't even think people would have been. Any ideas on the age or make of the pistol parts? Does the stock lead suggest lone trapper or supply wagons? Thanks a Lot for any ideas!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been cast aside during a difficult desert crossing due to the weight.
Could you be near a historical crossing point or trail?
Maybe there is a parcel of furs buried in the sand nearby?

I don't see anything that would preclude those objects from dating to the 1850's
Need to get out there and find another clue.

Wouldn't surprise me if the lead wasn't purchased in that configuration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

riverbottom

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really good point, I agree, it looks like it is straight from the mercantile. I'll grab some more pictures of some earlier finds in the same area that I think are some great clues, and they have left me just as confused.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be near a rest stop. It would be obvious if your location was near a lone water source. Desert crossings had to have been broken up into manageable legs. Many people may have rested in the same general location just because it was an interval of a days ride. - I'd scan a pretty wide swath in that area with a large coil.

A trail may only be found by mapping scattered misc. isolated iron objects.. it may not become apparent until you step back and look at a bigger picture.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of a map showing legs of a trail.
Most military mapping shows the locations of camps.
It is highly likely that others followed the same trails and camped in the same areas that the military did. This map being northeast of Reno Nevada.

Clipboard01.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread