1789 George Washington Inaugural and lots more!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow diggers

Part I: Today
Man am I glad I played hooky today! Just found a beautiful WI 12B 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button. I’m really, really happy with this find. Light toothpicking and a little ole’ trusty forehead oil and I think I’ll leave the cleaning at that.
gw dirty.jpg IMG_2351.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2358.JPG -Shanktastic!

Also found an 1800 draped, the obverse condition of which makes lady liberty look like a zombie
1800 draped.JPG

and what looks to be a counterfeit KGIII…
kgiii2.JPG IMG_2347.JPG

so wanted it to be another Machin’s Mint but I can’t make a solid match. It’s awfully underweight though, so I’m pretty certain it isn’t regal.

It was a beautiful day, and I visited three sites. I feel fortunate to detect in such idyllic conditions.

Good old fashioned Vermont traffic jam:
20170524_184619 (2).jpg
DSC_0118.JPG DSC_0097 (2).jpg meadow.jpg

Part II: Oh, Canada!
Last weekend marked the 375th birthday of Montreal, and my first visit up there to detect. A fantastic trip with a gracious, generous, and fun host, Aureus/Anton. It is quite something for any of us to share prized hunting ground and be a good egg; I look forward to returning the favor. Managed to find an 1837 Montreal “Bouquet” One Sou bank token
1837 one sou.JPG

and, after a lengthy mineral oil soak, just discovered the identity of the only other large copper I found: an 1835 “Ships, Colonies, & Commerce” ½ penny token.
DSC_0130.JPG

The second chapter of the weekend involved the recovery of a significant number of US Civil War era minie balls.
canada1.JPG

DSC_0123.JPG

Some pics of the Canadian coins with today's finds
DSC_0122.JPG DSC_0121.JPG

Part III: The Curse of Abe Lincoln
Since finding a trime 6 weeks ago I was able to get out a few hours each week, being highly selective given my time constraints. I kept my coil over land that took a fair amount of research to ID, and effort to gain solid permissions. And as this collection of relics attests, I was in the right places…yet everywhere I went, Abe Lincoln reared his head: not a coin earlier than 1912! Even on an abandoned log cabin site, not even on the 1800s maps, with no other material later than 1830? Yup, good old Abe came up smiling (at least it was a wheatie). Beset by 20th century coinage and tail between my legs, I had to go to Canada to break the curse with that One Sou coin. Jeez Louise!

That said, I did recover some great relics, all of which, along with some of the finds from today, will be going to the local historical society and owners.

My favorites include the copper powder flask in the center (I dinged it with my shovel…bad detectorist)
IMG_2323.JPG

Some iron...just haven't finished processing it all yet
IMG_2322.JPG

Dandy buttons and lovely pewter spoon head with shell motif
DSC_0126.JPG

Quartet of rosettes
DSC_0129 (2).jpg

Well, that's it for me. Thanks for looking/commenting, and good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 52
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could sit in that traffic jam all damn day :occasion14: What a great post Ken! First off, huge congrats on the GW button and what a great patina on that one. Looks like you and Anton had a great time too. I really like those rosettes too.... actually, I like it all. Killer job man.

Thanks Brad! Pretty lucky with the kind of traffic I have to deal with now that I no longer live in a city. Those cows actually have their own underpass, and every time they come out of the tunnel to go to pasture I laugh and laugh.

I tried to get all the iron done to put in with this post and make it truly OutdoorAdv worthy, but alas!

Wow you've been busy ZK, but you had me at GW button:laughing7: one of those has been on my bucket list since the day I picked up the detector. Ships token from Canada is a great dig as well. Great narrative and pictures

Thanks VMI, hope you find one soon. You certainly dig some great stuff, so probably a matter of time. Cheers

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner all day! Holy Grail of American Detecting. Congrats and thanks for the great write up!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I imagine the guilt of playing hooky was quickly forgotten when you realized the GW button was sitting in your mitt. Huge Congrats on the prime example of the button. The counterfeit might be a Blacksmith Token?

Thanks very much Pepperj. I hadn't considered it being a Blacksmith work, as the details are a bit fine for what I know of those. But great suggestion, I'm following up on it.

Congrats on a nice bunch of finds. I'm voting banner on the GW button

Wow Art, thank you very much. Hope you're getting out there!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great post. So many tasty finds! Congrats on the inaugural button, amazing the shank is still on!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tremendous post with lots of drool-worthy early finds, congrats. Love the GW button.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, Z.K. You are a truly prolific hunter! The variety of quality finds is very impressive. The GW button is beautiful! It cleaned up nicely. What a great recovery!! Congrats on all of your finds!

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent finds from those hunts and congrats on the GW. Plenty of history here in our state - we're quite lucky.

John

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that was a successful hunt, nice finds!!!!
Thank you, Tracker. For a while I thought my detector was broken...yesterday was a good day! : )

Banner all day! Holy Grail of American Detecting. Congrats and thanks for the great write up!

Hey Stef, thank so much for compliment and the banner nod!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Ken I'm so happy for you! That GW is a killer bucket lister! Congrats on all of the great finds and that looks like a great trip with our northern friend!

Thanks Abe!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, great post. So many tasty finds! Congrats on the inaugural button, amazing the shank is still on!
I really appreciate that, J.Cache. And I got super-lucky with button...bent but totally intact. You could say I'm "shankfull." : )

Tremendous post with lots of drool-worthy early finds, congrats. Love the GW button.
So glad you liked the post! Thanks for your comment, Terpfan!

Wow, Z.K. You are a truly prolific hunter! The variety of quality finds is very impressive. The GW button is beautiful! It cleaned up nicely. What a great recovery!! Congrats on all of your finds!
That's a very meaningful compliment Silvermonkey, thank you very much. Cheers!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy smokes man.

I realize that his is multiple hunts, but you have an amazing variety of finds. I especially like the GW button and CW lead.

Congrats!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent finds from those hunts and congrats on the GW. Plenty of history here in our state - we're quite lucky.
John
Thanks, neighbor! We are so fortunate :occasion14: ...now if we could just do something about these dang ticks.

Nice finds - congrats!!!! Anton is a great guy!!! One of your bridle rosettes could be something else http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/525979-lead-cross-flower.html What do you think Bro?

That's so cool, White Wolf! I love finding the same arcane stuff that someone else has. I'm on my lunch break so can't post a pic of the back, but the attachment points on mine make me really dubious that this was a clock weight. Regardless, cool find and nice coincidence. Cheers

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the Fantastic Relic and coin hunt! :notworthy:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's posts like these that the rest of us dream of. Well done on gaining the permissions and the research behind it. You earned that hoard of goodies sir.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy smokes man.

I realize that his is multiple hunts, but you have an amazing variety of finds. I especially like the GW button and CW lead.

Congrats!
Thank you, Tom. That lead was crazy...one outing tripled my previous total finds of these kind of projectiles. Best wishes to you

Gorgeous button - WTG man!!!
Hey Bill, thanks so much for commenting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread