1789 George Washington Inaugural and lots more!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey fellow diggers

Part I: Today
Man am I glad I played hooky today! Just found a beautiful WI 12B 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button. I’m really, really happy with this find. Light toothpicking and a little ole’ trusty forehead oil and I think I’ll leave the cleaning at that.
gw dirty.jpg IMG_2351.JPG IMG_2354.JPG IMG_2358.JPG -Shanktastic!

Also found an 1800 draped, the obverse condition of which makes lady liberty look like a zombie
1800 draped.JPG

and what looks to be a counterfeit KGIII…
kgiii2.JPG IMG_2347.JPG

so wanted it to be another Machin’s Mint but I can’t make a solid match. It’s awfully underweight though, so I’m pretty certain it isn’t regal.

It was a beautiful day, and I visited three sites. I feel fortunate to detect in such idyllic conditions.

Good old fashioned Vermont traffic jam:
20170524_184619 (2).jpg
DSC_0118.JPG DSC_0097 (2).jpg meadow.jpg

Part II: Oh, Canada!
Last weekend marked the 375th birthday of Montreal, and my first visit up there to detect. A fantastic trip with a gracious, generous, and fun host, Aureus/Anton. It is quite something for any of us to share prized hunting ground and be a good egg; I look forward to returning the favor. Managed to find an 1837 Montreal “Bouquet” One Sou bank token
1837 one sou.JPG

and, after a lengthy mineral oil soak, just discovered the identity of the only other large copper I found: an 1835 “Ships, Colonies, & Commerce” ½ penny token.
DSC_0130.JPG

The second chapter of the weekend involved the recovery of a significant number of US Civil War era minie balls.
canada1.JPG

DSC_0123.JPG

Some pics of the Canadian coins with today's finds
DSC_0122.JPG DSC_0121.JPG

Part III: The Curse of Abe Lincoln
Since finding a trime 6 weeks ago I was able to get out a few hours each week, being highly selective given my time constraints. I kept my coil over land that took a fair amount of research to ID, and effort to gain solid permissions. And as this collection of relics attests, I was in the right places…yet everywhere I went, Abe Lincoln reared his head: not a coin earlier than 1912! Even on an abandoned log cabin site, not even on the 1800s maps, with no other material later than 1830? Yup, good old Abe came up smiling (at least it was a wheatie). Beset by 20th century coinage and tail between my legs, I had to go to Canada to break the curse with that One Sou coin. Jeez Louise!

That said, I did recover some great relics, all of which, along with some of the finds from today, will be going to the local historical society and owners.

My favorites include the copper powder flask in the center (I dinged it with my shovel…bad detectorist)
IMG_2323.JPG

Some iron...just haven't finished processing it all yet
IMG_2322.JPG

Dandy buttons and lovely pewter spoon head with shell motif
DSC_0126.JPG

Quartet of rosettes
DSC_0129 (2).jpg

Well, that's it for me. Thanks for looking/commenting, and good luck out there!

Last edited:
Upvote 52

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that was one super hunt! Nothing like digging a GW, that's the same type I found also and hope to find another someday!

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an awesome group of finds. And that GW button is just amazing! Big congratulations!

Really enjoyed the time spent hunting together. Hoping to have a chance to detect with you again this season.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you have been busy my friend! Lot's of great finds there, and special congrats on the GW:thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could sit in that traffic jam all damn day :occasion14: What a great post Ken! First off, huge congrats on the GW button and what a great patina on that one. Looks like you and Anton had a great time too. I really like those rosettes too.... actually, I like it all. Killer job man.

Last edited:

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow you've been busy ZK, but you had me at GW button:laughing7: one of those has been on my bucket list since the day I picked up the detector. Ships token from Canada is a great dig as well. Great narrative and pictures

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that was one super hunt! Nothing like digging a GW, that's the same type I found also and hope to find another someday!

Thanks WS, wasn't expecting to find this and super happy with it. May you find your second!

Speechless ! Unbelievable finds !! Banner !

Wow, thanks Argentium!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I imagine the guilt of playing hooky was quickly forgotten when you realized the GW button was sitting in your mitt. Huge Congrats on the prime example of the button. The counterfeit might be a Blacksmith Token?

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What an awesome group of finds. And that GW button is just amazing! Big congratulations!

Really enjoyed the time spent hunting together. Hoping to have a chance to detect with you again this season.

Thanks Anton! When I dug the button I thought, "What a nice big dandy." Then I saw what looked like chicken feet, and that put a big smile on my face.

I was also happy to ID that other token...that trip keeps on giving. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you have been busy my friend! Lot's of great finds there, and special congrats on the GW:thumbsup:

Hey Steve, thank you! I've tried to keep chipping away. And also making wider plugs since your other thread. Speaking of which, when are you going to ship me that "Laser Plug Cutter 3000" you've been perfecting? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Casper, hope all is well.

t_r.gif
t_o.gif
s.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE FINDS Z.K. :..
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, VP. You manage to support a lot of folks on here.

Beautiful finds! Great patina on that KG
Totally! Been a while since I pulled a KG of any kind that wasn't killed by fertilizer or time. It was next to some iron so got some contact oxidation, but that just adds character.

Thanks for the comment, and welcome to the forum. I like your name, too: I spent the best 6 years of my childhood growing up in "Glousta" Mass

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Ken I'm so happy for you! That GW is a killer bucket lister! Congrats on all of the great finds and that looks like a great trip with our northern friend!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some Sweet Finds!!! :occasion14:
Good story & pics. Now that's a lot of digging!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Steve, thank you! I've tried to keep chipping away. And also making wider plugs since your other thread. Speaking of which, when are you going to ship me that "Laser Plug Cutter 3000" you've been perfecting? :laughing7:
LOL, I only take pictures of perfect plugs. I got more comments on the plug than the button! But I do have a technique that I have perfected over the years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread