Cool Token & Sweet V Nickel.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Folks. Been either too hot, too wet, or too cold to hunt much. I wandered around my neighborhood just a few feet from my home. I got the 1929 wheat penny in one of my neighbor's properties. I thought I was going to get a big silver when I popped the big aluminum token coin. It represents Louis Lincoln Emmerson who was born December 27, 1863 and died February 4, 1941. He was running for Secretary of State here in Illinois in 1916 so this token must be from 1916. He won the election and eventually went on to be our Governor. I went across the street to our local church which I have literally hunted over 100 times since I moved here in 2009. All I get these days are really iffy signals at best. Well I decided to dig one and began pulling iron nails out of the hole. After about three nails I stuck my little Nel Snake coil down into my huge plug hole and got a repeatable signal off to the side. I recovered the 1888 V nickel and thanked the Lord for giving me such a cool place to hunt right across the street from my home. The detail on the V is excellent. One of my best V nickels for certain and a fairly rare year as well. I also got another 1946 wheat penny from the church. The church was hit pretty hard back in the analog days before I ever hunted it but, I have still managed to get some nice old coins from that place. I know there's a few more left and will continue to hunt there as long as I live here. Thanks for stopping by. Kurios1 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 11

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the token. I wonder if he went to prison like the rest of our Illinois Governors ? !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great token nice piece of history. I wish there was good hunting by my house keep digging the iffys pull a little plug and you should get a more clear id some of my best finds are iffys.Thanks for the great post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice finds! :occasion14:
Good story & pics! Nice when you can find a back story to something old you find. :icon_thumright:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, and 1888 is a better-than-most year for V nickels!

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Louis may have been one the last "honest" politicians Illinois ever had. The Chicago mob hadn't taken over Springfield yet so he might have actually been a decent guy. At least in the beginning of his career. The higher you get in politics the more corrupt your soul becomes. Ya' don't get to the top of the pyramid being a righteous person. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

OP
OP
Kurios1

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Even iron with stamping on it is cool if you can do some research on it. All part of the fascination of this sport.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread