Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked this up at good will for $4

The paper looks extremely old

I checked online and see lots of similar maps but not one that has color on it

One of the similar maps is listed for $5400

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/w...gclid=CNnUvcDMi9QCFZiEswoddSEOgQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

What do you think of this map. Good buy or waste of $4

Can anyone find another identical map and how much is it worth?????

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495734368.732072.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495734393.374648.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495734408.787283.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1495734431.541816.jpg

Upvote 9

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
It looks old, but I wouldn't know a reprint from an original. It would surely have interest to a lot of people anyway. I believe many of the old prints and maps were hand colored back in the day. That's deluxe, and would make it special. I hope you can confirm it's age and value. $4 is nothing anymore. I hope it is worth a lot of money. Then what do you do, keep it or sell it ? Nice find !

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks old, but I wouldn't know a reprint from an original. It would surely have interest to a lot of people anyway. I believe many of the old prints and maps were hand colored back in the day. That's deluxe, and would make it special. I hope you can confirm it's age and value. $4 is nothing anymore. I hope it is worth a lot of money. Then what do you do, keep it or sell it ? Nice find !

It's hard to tell if it's original. Definitely looks and feels old in person

I bought it to flip if it has some value

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either way old maps are good. Nice find

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw it up on ebay. Starting bid $999.99. Point out in the description that others have been listed and sold for 2x and 3x the price and yours is priced to sell. Also charge at least $50 shipping.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the help anymore would be appreciated

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to visit Nantucket as a kid back in the 1970's. It's a beautiful map, and would be worth something to the right person. For $ 4.00, how can you go wrong? I'd frame it and hang it in my living room.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw it up on ebay. Starting bid $999.99. Point out in the description that others have been listed and sold for 2x and 3x the price and yours is priced to sell. Also charge at least $50 shipping.
Until you know it's not a repro I wouldn't put in on eBay . It's unethical and just plain bad business; not to say EBay frowns upon that sort of thing. That said its a good buy for $4. A lot of map repros were not colorized so if it's legit it may in fact be valuable .

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until you know it's not a repro I wouldn't put in on eBay . It's unethical and just plain bad business; not to say EBay frowns upon that sort of thing. That said its a good buy for $4. A lot of map repros were not colorized so if it's legit it may in fact be valuable .

I have been looking through google images for hours and have found tons of non colored ones. But not one single colored version that matches the one I have

If I don't use the words original in my listing and leave it up to the. Buyer to decide (who maybe has more knowledge about these things). How would that be unethical

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not unethical. He bought it for $4 not knowing whether it was real or not. Hes going to now present it to a larger audience under the same premise for a higher amount. Nothing unethical about that. Nor is it unethical to claim similar maps have sold on ebay for higher prices.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There once was a man from Nantucket...

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys it say historical, therefore it's not from the time period. It's just a copy of what it looked like back then. My opinion of course. Old maps I have seen do not say historical.

OP
OP
Turbo21

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys it say historical, therefore it's not from the time period. It's just a copy of what it looked like back then. My opinion of course. Old maps I have seen do not say historical.

By historical it means the history from the settling of Nantucket to 1869 is listed on the map. Not that it's historical from this time period.
Look close at the map and you will see what I mean

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool display piece for the relic room or man cave :icon_thumleft:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $4 why not use the old map to find the old house sites on the island instead of sell it? :D

TripletDad

Sep 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at it up close with a good magnifier - patterned colored dots means recent origin. Copperplate printing would not have dots pattern. Almost got taken in at Goodwill the same way.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's dated 1869 and judging from looking at the paper it's very old. So it could very well be an 1869 print and could be colored by hand. Of course the age of something, even from that time, doesn't equate into big bucks. That's my guess though, an 1869 print possibly hand-colored and could have been a hand full printed or could have been hundreds or thousands. Nice, old find though. You never know what you will find people are selling. I have two original William Hogarth etchings from the 1700's that I bought for 20 dollars each.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread