20170524_074538.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
Upvote 4

CAgem

Mar 8, 2008
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, Deus
I don't know a lot about Native American artifacts, but most that I have seen are made out of chert or some hard rocks. I don't think sandstone or limestone would hold up as an axe.

OP
OP
K

Kennethchurch

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what type of stone this is made of. I just found it in the hog pen where they had been digging up sandstone and limestone. I know it's not made of sandstone. It's too hard to be sandstone.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, not an indian artifact, just a rock.

Puma

Greenie
Mar 19, 2017
Washington
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not as dismissive as Treasure Hunter. Hard to tell from photos, though. I feel like I see markings on the rock that suggest cultural modification. If it is soft stone I would say no, not an ax head (unless ceremonial). But I couldn't dismiss some other type of tool--an arrow straightener? I can't imagine a natural process that would produce the hole and the channels below the notches.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I also disagree with Treasure Hunter on this one. If it just had the hole in it I might have shared his point of view ,but with not one but both notches on that side , I have difficulty seeing that as anything other than worked with intention.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like water-worn limestone to me.....but I'm not the one with it in my hand!

Iowa Dale

Wm the Conqueror

Mar 9, 2017
Danville Virginia
Detector(s) used
Only a pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks awesome some type of hand tool! It will fit your hand perfectly. Is it metal or rock! A stonemason tool! Look at it carefully! Pictures on it will tell a story! Could be used with either hand! This is no ordinary object!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, but I'd sure keep it because it looks really neat.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was N/A I would use it as an arrow shaft straightener even if it was just a rock. Looks cool.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to agree that this looks like a natural formation. I've found similar rocks over the years that look man-made, but then when you look closer it's just how they were formed or weathered in nature. I was always told that a pebble resting on a rock in water can over many many years form a hole like that too and may have been a river it was located in thousands of years ago or even longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions