A banner day for me anyway...Police badge with provenance and trolley car

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Cambria09 and myself set out on a quick hunt and although he got two silvers, I believe I won the day :) Found a Police Chief Badge that we think is from the 20's. Found that a chief lived on the property next door from 1915 to 1917. Probably one of my top three finds ever since the badge is from the town I live in. Found this trolley car a few days ago and although some of you might not agree with the clean up on it, well, I found it and oh well. Not sure of anything about it but it's going in the display. I was hoping to find a makers mark and it was red at one time but no markings. All iron, so one has to dig everything. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4234.JPG
    IMG_4234.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4204.JPG
    IMG_4204.JPG
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4235.JPG
    IMG_4235.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 216
Upvote 38
OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call Mac, here is some info that I found from a search of Titusville police Chiefs, You are correct that the badge in your pic is a Marshal badge. I'm very good friends with the current Chief and He's going to look through the archives and try to come up with a pic of the badge, which would be great. If the article holds true, then the badge is more likely from the early 20's. Either way, one of these two gents owned it, but I'm betting it's Mefford:

A.J. Mefford was Chief before Call Norwood was elected as Chief in 1933. Our history contributors have said that Chief Mefford and Chief Norwood would switch roles over the years. In 1923, the City of Titusville adopted an ordinance creating the Office of Chief of Police. The title of City Marshall was held from 1909 until this change to the title of Chief of Police took place.

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a look at this pic...and the badge...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 79

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work on the back story behind the badge. I absolutely LOVE when a piece can be tied to a person from history, makes the find so much more meaningful.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your far beyond awesome Chief's badge .
Old toys are always a welcome find as well .
CMD

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice Scuba, send it over and I'll sand blast it for you.....or not. It looks VERY similar, You can get a real good idea of what yours looks like from my pic. , the only difference I can see is that it's closed on both ends. Thanks for adding your pic. Maybe I'll post it in the what is it forum, and what is the length of yours? Mine is 4 in.

Mine is exactly 4" long also. The detail looks totally identical except for the front is different. Possibly made by the same company.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece of local history, Btoots, congratulations! Is the pin still intact and/or is their a hallmark on the reverse? Badges found in yards were either (1) lost during yard work by the owner, or (2) taken by children of the owner to "play with" and lost... Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work on the back story behind the badge. I absolutely LOVE when a piece can be tied to a person from history, makes the find so much more meaningful.

I totally concur mate. This thread has become like an episode of CSI-T-Net, unfolding before our eyes. This is the area of treasure hunting that stokes my juices more than anything. Having a blast watching the research come in. Kudos to all that assisted in digging into this way cool story. Kurios1:read2::love4::icon_salut:

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you mean, looks like the same type of badge to me on the left and the man on the left was the Chief at the time. Not to say that the badge in the pic is the exact one in my hand, but I'm guessing he owned it. My guess now is 1923 at the earliest since they didn't elect a city "Chief" until then. Pin on the back and no marks

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. I like Against The Winds idea. A few years ago I found a Gold plated 1rst place medallion for a horse that won the 1908 Michigan state fair. The owners name, and horses name were inscribed on the back of the medallion. I was actually able to go on ebay and find a postcard type picture of this same horse with his ribbon and medallion during the presentation. Both items are now proudly displayed in a shadow box.

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the back Sub, I can't see any marks anywhere, If there is a place on the back I should be looking let me know. I don't want to stress it anymore than just soap and water though. Thanks again for the input. IMG_4239.JPG

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of the back Sub, I can't see any marks anywhere, If there is a place on the back I should be looking let me know. I don't want to stress it anymore than just soap and water though. Thanks again for the input. View attachment 1456330

Thanks Btoots, You have a spring stem pin and a flat "C" catch. The catch was prominent in early 1900's badges, up until about WW2. The pebbled back is common for that era too. The hole is to allow hot air to escape when the state seal was soldered on the front.

Three large badge makers on the east coast are still in production today, i.e., Blackinton, Everson-Ross, and Smith-Warren. I have seen this same style badge manufactured by all three over the years. In fact, the style may still be in their catalogs! (Check on line)

Once again, a super find, congratulations. Sub :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions