A banner day for me anyway...Police badge with provenance and trolley car

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Cambria09 and myself set out on a quick hunt and although he got two silvers, I believe I won the day :) Found a Police Chief Badge that we think is from the 20's. Found that a chief lived on the property next door from 1915 to 1917. Probably one of my top three finds ever since the badge is from the town I live in. Found this trolley car a few days ago and although some of you might not agree with the clean up on it, well, I found it and oh well. Not sure of anything about it but it's going in the display. I was hoping to find a makers mark and it was red at one time but no markings. All iron, so one has to dig everything. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_4234.JPG
    IMG_4234.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 214
  • IMG_4204.JPG
    IMG_4204.JPG
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4235.JPG
    IMG_4235.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 216
Upvote 38

JccEldreth

Feb 8, 2017
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Pro Pointer II and I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice finds !

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A police badge has to be on everyone's bucket list whether they have considered it or not. Yours is totally COOL ! The trolley cleaned up pretty nice as well. Two great finds. Wonderful!

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice combination of finds.
Congrats on the trolley and the Badge.
Any idea who the police chiefs might have been during the 1900 to 1920 time period. Would be even cooler if you could attach a name and picture to that badge. The name, picture, and badge would display well in a shadow box.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cool finds, that badge is very nice

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hey, those would make anyone's day! sweet finds for sure

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ATW, I know the police chief very well and I'm sure he can come up with the legacy of former chiefs, so It should actually be easy. I'll know by next week.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Great finds. I like the cleanup job on the trolley.

A badge is on my list, I do not recall seeing one recovered.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a pic of the Chief in 1923:
Mefford-580-1.jpg

Notice--that he is wearing a Marshal's badge, so he may have been the 'acting' Chief for at least his first three years on the job.
Coincidentally, a little research will disclose that according to Mefford’s family, Chief Mefford served Titusville off and on for over 20 years. He appeared in Titusville's City’s Council meeting minutes in 1941, when he once again was elected Titusville’s Chief of Police. So the badge you hold may have come for either period--if the badge design hadn't changed.
Don...

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a cast iron trolley car I found underwater a few years ago. I was told it was from the 1800's. Not exactly like yours but close. Very well built and heavy.

That police badge is AWESOME. Would love to find one of them. Congrats on some great finds.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btoots, go hit Dixie Crossroads as a celebration for finding that badge...GREAT find!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Btoots. Glad I could witness the badge find that is one great keeper...thought I got my coil over the day's best but there is always tomorrow. Congrats. C9

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Scuba, send it over and I'll sand blast it for you.....or not. It looks VERY similar, You can get a real good idea of what yours looks like from my pic. , the only difference I can see is that it's closed on both ends. Thanks for adding your pic. Maybe I'll post it in the what is it forum, and what is the length of yours? Mine is 4 in.

mglentz4125

Dec 27, 2016
Harbor Springs, MI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Cambria09 and myself set out on a quick hunt and although he got two silvers, I believe I won the day :) Found a Police Chief Badge that we think is from the 20's. Found that a chief lived on the property next door from 1915 to 1917. Probably one of my top three finds ever since the badge is from the town I live in. Found this trolley car a few days ago and although some of you might not agree with the clean up on it, well, I found it and oh well. Not sure of anything about it but it's going in the display. I was hoping to find a makers mark and it was red at one time but no markings. All iron, so one has to dig everything. Thanks for looking.

I would pass out cold if I dug up a badge. No doubt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread