Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS :-:
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tneters, havent posted in a while most fields are loaded with crops and the forests full of ticks.
out today with my cousin in the woods near Mainz hoping for some roman coins we stumbled upon a clearing loaded with bulletcasings probably from the war. last thing I expected to find was a 1943 silver quarter. But there it was lying right under the leaves at 1 inch. It might have been lost by a soldier I suspect.
some older German coins and buttons made a great day.
there was also a mysterious little brooch which looks like it has little set stones in it. not quite sure if it is old or modern. any ideas?
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg image.jpeg
thanks for looking

Upvote 29
OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
really dont know why all pics are rotated 90 degrees but well u can tilt ur heads ;)

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found tons of US coins in Germany, more US coins than old Marks; Then this last summer I found my first US coin in Italy in the surf. Never found one there before and we have been living in Italy every summer since 2005, and out of all things is was a 1972 dollar. LOL

I was talking with my mate in the ordungsampt one day in Mainz about finding US coins in the city parks alot. He says that is exactly why he does not city parks in Germany anymore, said he wants to find something he can use and the bank does not exchange it. LOL I got him into this about 6 years ago and gave him his first MD for his birthday, but he only does it at best once a month. I did get him and his family to come down to our house in Italy 2 summers ago, we live on the beach and he loved it, he could not get enough MDing in.

Congrats on your silver, one thing I have found in Germany is that if it is a US silver then there is a market for it. Heck anything with Kennedy on it has always sold at mint condition prices on German ebay. Always shocks me, a dug coin selling at a Mint price.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the silver find, hope you find more interesting things and more silver

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece looks REALLY old to me! Congrat's on some nice finds!

Iowa Dale

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
The broach looks like it may have been a lapel pin from a navigator or bombardier, the tail and tips of the wing and it looks like the front of plane may have been broken off. With the blue being compass lines ... Or im just guessing and trying to envision something that isn't there. Perhaps someone else can add info. Nice finds..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Roman Plate Brooch congrats! It's a type we don't find here, but 99% sure its 2nd C AD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Roman Plate Brooch congrats! It's a type we don't find here, but 99% sure its 2nd C AD.
Thanks CRu!

Didn't expect that, it looked rather old to me but I was not sure. I will carefully clean it and make a seperate post.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the great looking brooch! Look forward to seeing the cleaned up pics.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CRu!

Didn't expect that, it looked rather old to me but I was not sure. I will carefully clean it and make a seperate post.
More importantly go back to the area you found it & grid out.

Brooches can often be on the edge of a Site so the spread of coins might be some distance away.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool to find foreign coins especially silver ones. I always enjoy foreign coins wondering how they managed to get so far away from their original location. The stories our recoveries could tell for sure.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what happens when you go detecting on your own.... lol... big congrats, beautiful brooch! Stunning condition with lots of enamel left! Take Cru's advice and start detecting in increasing circles around the spot the brooch was if no other signs lead you to a spot with the right look. Congrats again Buddy!

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18816365_10213063012680462_1582502555_n.jpg Thanks for all the advice, guys. I managed to carefully wash off some of the dirty crust sitting on top. This is what it looks now, the colors are beautiful. Nice sets of lapis lazuli and beautiful turquoise stones. I will try and make better pictures. I will try to go back to the site when I get the opportunity.

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg better quality pic but rotated for some reason

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1456846 Thanks for all the advice, guys. I managed to carefully wash off some of the dirty crust sitting on top. This is what it looks now, the colors are beautiful. Nice sets of lapis lazuli and beautiful turquoise stones. I will try and make better pictures. I will try to go back to the site when I get the opportunity.
Wow, you don't know how lucky you are!
Nice!!!

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Benjamin, wouldn't the museum be interested in such a nice piece of roman history?:dontknow:congrats on a beautiful find.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Benjamin52

Benjamin52

Apr 26, 2011
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Benjamin, wouldn't the museum be interested in such a nice piece of roman history?:dontknow:congrats on a beautiful find.:occasion14:

Seriously considering showing this to the local archeologists, good thinking!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy smokes that brooch is incredible! Instant banner in my opinion. WOW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread