Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with Shangderthal for a three day dig. Work schedules had beaten us down until we just said screw it and took time off. Glad we did! Enjoy the video!

First off I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Shangison dug a Seated on a solo hunt right before our three day adventure. This Seated was shy and didn't hold still for its photo to be taken, and that's why it's blurry :D 1854-O Half Dime.

IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2433.JPG

My prelude to the three day dig was going out in the field (breaking my rule about bringing a backup detector always) and finding out that my F75 wouldn't ground balance and was going haywire! :BangHead: So that day I did nothing but eyeball, since I was too far away from home and didn't want it to be a wasted trip. Was upset that the detector broke--furious! The old Fisher 1266-X I own has never had a problem since it was purchased in 1991. This F75 hasn't lasted 5 years. >:( So I'm using my wife's detector right now and the F75 is at First TX and useless.

I did find a few things though--including this nice cobalt blue laudanum bottle and the neat red glass "paste jewel"

IMG_3495portrait.jpg IMG_3496.JPG IMG_0823.JPG

Anyhow, back to our three day marathon dig... :)

Things started off slowly on day 1 with flat buttons, musketballs, and Shang got a nice intact jew's harp. :thumbsup: Eventually eyeballed a a "Russian Blue" trade bead--his first one ever.

5.JPG

Then he dug an anchor button which is either an early Navy button or a Jacksonian Button. He also dug a nice decorative civilian "flower button."

1.JPG 2.JPG

I was lucky enough to dig a couple of pocket watch winders. The spade shaped one appears to have a man's bust on it and two crossed flags on one side.

IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG

I also dug this whatzit. It says E. COUDRAY A PARIS on both sides, and it appears to be something to do with an antebellum perfume bottle (lead seal of some sort--were perfume bottles sealed??).

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

I also dug this interesting pewter piece that appears to be a bird's nest full of eggs. No clue what this is either! Help is appreciated!

IMG_0828.JPG

We dug a lot of targets on Day 1, but it was slow and gradual--button here, musketball there, brass or lead... When day 2 started it was my turn to find a trade bead. :headbang:

IMG_0824.JPG

Then out of the blue I dug a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O half dime!

212_1346.JPG

Would be super nice to find the rare variety of this year and mintmark sometime (1840-O w/drapery)--especially if it were in this condition!

hdportrait.jpg hd3portrait.jpg

Then toward the end of the day, I dug a worn half real--1782!!

212_1351.JPG

I took no more than 15 steps--and lo and behold I dug another one, right in a pile of fire ants!! The second one was worn smooth, but colonial silver is colonial silver! (sorry, no photo of it in the dirt--the ants were all over me!)

Between picking up around 100 clay pipe stem fragments, I eyeballed my first Native American artifact ever found in Louisiana. (There isn't workable stone down here--just lots of silt and mud--so the native peoples must have traded for stone to make tools, and the stone must have come from a long distance away). This appears to be a hafted tool or point of some sort!

IMG_0837.JPG

Day 3 started well before dawn and by 5:45am we were in the field. I literally got out of the truck, turned on my detector, took three steps, and flopped out a Spanish Silver! :headbang: ANOTHER 1782!!

IMG_3512portrait.jpg

That's a way to start a morning! As we say down here, anything else I could dig the whole day would be lagniappe!! :D

Things got pretty normal after that... flat button...musketball... the usual.

Then I dug a three piece button that I thought might be a Jacksonian button--BUT I strongly suspected it was a Henry Clay campaign button!

IMG_3516portrait.jpg

My hunch was right! It was my SECOND Henry Clay button from the 1844 presidential election (dug my first one three years ago).

Then right at the closing bell, Shanguloid flopped out a Spanish silver of his own!! 1807 Half Real!

IMG_3519portait.jpg

Was quite a hunt--and the finds filled up nearly an entire case each!

IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0827.JPG

HR 1808.JPG HR 1808a.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0832.JPG

**MORE PHOTOS IN FIRST REPLY BELOW**

Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up and awesome finds! My Fave is the Clay button. Im fascinated by early campaign tokens and buttons so it always awesome seeing these get unearthed. Congrats

Thanks for your reply Stef! You've had quite a year! I keep thinking about your slave tag/2 Reales post. Truly what dreams are made of.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rewarded with finds you were! Spanish silver, the Dime, it's always great to dig silver but my fave finds are again the eyeballed finds like the beads, paste jewel, marble.... Congrats!

You'll enjoy my solo hunt post which is coming up. Got a beautiful eyeball find and some great photos of it sitting there.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly man, what an incredible group of finds! That half dime is in superb condition, and four reales plus the campaign button. Congratulations-I bet that was a lot of fun

Thanks my friend--was great to dig that many spanish silver in a row. I think this is going to be a very good year for us in the Spanish category. We are over 75 spanish silvers dug since 2012. I don't think we'll break 100 until next year though.

Buck

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. You kill the old small silver down there

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
totally wow! a real smorgasbord of awesome finds with a super nice silver lining! thanks for the awesome post

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine a better way to spend three days Buck, though cooler temps surely would be appreciated. All of the finds are noteworthy, but I keep looking back on the condition of that half dime. Wow, what a looker! Do you think someone attempted to make a button with the 1808 half real, but gave up?

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. You kill the old small silver down there

Lots of wealth and affluence in this area, and lots of silver lost. I'm thankful to be recovering it. So strange that coppers didn't circulate much down here. I think we've pulled maybe 4-5 large cents, a token, a 1722 6 deniers, and a hard times token that could've circulated as coppers--and on the other hand we've dug over 100 seated coins and over 75 spanish silvers. Perhaps they rounded everything to the next 5 cent increment when buying/selling?

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
totally wow! a real smorgasbord of awesome finds with a super nice silver lining! thanks for the awesome post

Thank you for reading, dirtlooter--and thx for your reply!

Best Wishes,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine a better way to spend three days Buck, though cooler temps surely would be appreciated. All of the finds are noteworthy, but I keep looking back on the condition of that half dime. Wow, what a looker! Do you think someone attempted to make a button with the 1808 half real, but gave up?

Totally. I think they were out to either make a button or a cufflink.

Cheers,

Buck

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my friend. We work hard. Three 10+ hour days in 90 degrees.

Yea bro, you got it bad ....Like me.

Yr time sure did pay off tho "Lot's" of cool finds.

Sorry yr machine messed up on you, hope my new G2+ lasts longer, I got a 1266X as well , that found me some nice relic's this past Winter but the weight takes some getting used to.

It's Big Heavy coil really Hugs the Ground & pushes over Vines , Grass, & Small saplings ,like a Tank.

I'm afraid i'm gonna break the light coil on my G2 by hitting a small rock but so far so good..

Thanks For the inspiring post.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of wealth and affluence in this area, and lots of silver lost. I'm thankful to be recovering it. So strange that coppers didn't circulate much down here. I think we've pulled maybe 4-5 large cents, a token, a 1722 6 deniers, and a hard times token that could've circulated as coppers--and on the other hand we've dug over 100 seated coins and over 75 spanish silvers. Perhaps they rounded everything to the next 5 cent increment when buying/selling?

-Buck

Now that you mention it, I do notice that you post more Spanish and Seated silver than coppers. I'm in the same situation with the lack of large coppers. I've only dug 6 in eight years, but have found many many silvers from the time period.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I call a great team hunt-

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great finds !
Re: the blue bottle..
[FONT=&quot]McCormick manufactured 2 versions of this bottle - the earlier version is a cork top (1890s - 1910) and the later version was a screw top (1910 - 1920s).
Don......[/FONT]

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that you mention it, I do notice that you post more Spanish and Seated silver than coppers. I'm in the same situation with the lack of large coppers. I've only dug 6 in eight years, but have found many many silvers from the time period.

I wish I had that problem with coppers. Right now I average 20 large coppers (British and US) to 1 Spanish silver. Lol.

To Buck: very exciting hunt bruddah! All that Spanish is making my eyes burn. And a seated in that condition is one in a thousand! Also wonderful button, bottle and beads. Keep killing it and I hope you hit 100 Spanish soon bud

Steve

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So cool to see what some dedicated folks can unearth in another part of the country. Fantastic finds and post, really appreciate the time you put into it.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply Stef! You've had quite a year! I keep thinking about your slave tag/2 Reales post. Truly what dreams are made of.

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks Buck! Yeah it has slowed down as of late but I have some good leads. That days was one of those once in a lifetime kinda digs!

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt as always. Your research sure pays off. I'm just amazed at the amount of pipe stems. Like the clay button and silver of course but can't believe you can just pick up a pipe bowl in a field. Some reason it's my favorite. Maybe because I never find them lol. Congrats on a good three days of great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread