Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Got out with Shangderthal for a three day dig. Work schedules had beaten us down until we just said screw it and took time off. Glad we did! Enjoy the video!

First off I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Shangison dug a Seated on a solo hunt right before our three day adventure. This Seated was shy and didn't hold still for its photo to be taken, and that's why it's blurry :D 1854-O Half Dime.

IMG_2432.JPG IMG_2433.JPG

My prelude to the three day dig was going out in the field (breaking my rule about bringing a backup detector always) and finding out that my F75 wouldn't ground balance and was going haywire! :BangHead: So that day I did nothing but eyeball, since I was too far away from home and didn't want it to be a wasted trip. Was upset that the detector broke--furious! The old Fisher 1266-X I own has never had a problem since it was purchased in 1991. This F75 hasn't lasted 5 years. >:( So I'm using my wife's detector right now and the F75 is at First TX and useless.

I did find a few things though--including this nice cobalt blue laudanum bottle and the neat red glass "paste jewel"

IMG_3495portrait.jpg IMG_3496.JPG IMG_0823.JPG

Anyhow, back to our three day marathon dig... :)

Things started off slowly on day 1 with flat buttons, musketballs, and Shang got a nice intact jew's harp. :thumbsup: Eventually eyeballed a a "Russian Blue" trade bead--his first one ever.

5.JPG

Then he dug an anchor button which is either an early Navy button or a Jacksonian Button. He also dug a nice decorative civilian "flower button."

1.JPG 2.JPG

I was lucky enough to dig a couple of pocket watch winders. The spade shaped one appears to have a man's bust on it and two crossed flags on one side.

IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG

I also dug this whatzit. It says E. COUDRAY A PARIS on both sides, and it appears to be something to do with an antebellum perfume bottle (lead seal of some sort--were perfume bottles sealed??).

IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG

I also dug this interesting pewter piece that appears to be a bird's nest full of eggs. No clue what this is either! Help is appreciated!

IMG_0828.JPG

We dug a lot of targets on Day 1, but it was slow and gradual--button here, musketball there, brass or lead... When day 2 started it was my turn to find a trade bead. :headbang:

IMG_0824.JPG

Then out of the blue I dug a BEAUTIFUL 1840-O half dime!

212_1346.JPG

Would be super nice to find the rare variety of this year and mintmark sometime (1840-O w/drapery)--especially if it were in this condition!

hdportrait.jpg hd3portrait.jpg

Then toward the end of the day, I dug a worn half real--1782!!

212_1351.JPG

I took no more than 15 steps--and lo and behold I dug another one, right in a pile of fire ants!! The second one was worn smooth, but colonial silver is colonial silver! (sorry, no photo of it in the dirt--the ants were all over me!)

Between picking up around 100 clay pipe stem fragments, I eyeballed my first Native American artifact ever found in Louisiana. (There isn't workable stone down here--just lots of silt and mud--so the native peoples must have traded for stone to make tools, and the stone must have come from a long distance away). This appears to be a hafted tool or point of some sort!

IMG_0837.JPG

Day 3 started well before dawn and by 5:45am we were in the field. I literally got out of the truck, turned on my detector, took three steps, and flopped out a Spanish Silver! :headbang: ANOTHER 1782!!

IMG_3512portrait.jpg

That's a way to start a morning! As we say down here, anything else I could dig the whole day would be lagniappe!! :D

Things got pretty normal after that... flat button...musketball... the usual.

Then I dug a three piece button that I thought might be a Jacksonian button--BUT I strongly suspected it was a Henry Clay campaign button!

IMG_3516portrait.jpg

My hunch was right! It was my SECOND Henry Clay button from the 1844 presidential election (dug my first one three years ago).

Then right at the closing bell, Shanguloid flopped out a Spanish silver of his own!! 1807 Half Real!

IMG_3519portait.jpg

Was quite a hunt--and the finds filled up nearly an entire case each!

IMG_0829.JPG IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG IMG_0827.JPG

HR 1808.JPG HR 1808a.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0832.JPG

**MORE PHOTOS IN FIRST REPLY BELOW**

Last edited:
Upvote 43
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Finds:

IMG_0815.JPG 4.JPG 7.JPG

fnds.JPG fnds1.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG IMG_0846.JPG IMG_0838.JPG

Last edited:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yu always find the good stuff :occasion14:

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Buckleboy post NEVER disappoints! Man, congrats on all the top notch finds, I'm blown away.

The E. Coudray item is part of a perfume bottle I believe.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Buckleboy post NEVER disappoints! Man, congrats on all the top notch finds, I'm blown away.

The E. Coudray item is part of a perfume bottle I believe.

I wonder if perfume bottles were sealed. If so, that may be what this is. Thanks for the info--turned me in the right direction!

Cheers,

Buck

May 25, 2017
New England Coastal Land & Waters
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great set of relics and eyeball finds. Nothing else feels like freshly dug Spanish silver in da hand. Funny they're all Mexico City mint. The winder is my favorite, and I remember seeing presidential campaigne winders before, just can't remember which candidate. Maybe that'll set you in the right direction to find out. Who knows, maybe it's a Clay?

Eat More Lobsta'

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding video Buck and ever better digs, 3 Spanish in 3 days is no easy feat but that Henry Clay button is my favorite of the bunch. Can't believe how much is just laying on the surface

Just like hunting for Native American artifacts--when the ground is turned, things wash out. I love digging down here, because they still deep plow fields. "no plow" was the enemy of detecting in Kentucky and the Virginias when I lived up North.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great set of relics and eyeball finds. Nothing else feels like freshly dug Spanish silver in da hand. Funny they're all Mexico City mint. The winder is my favorite, and I remember seeing presidential campaigne winders before, just can't remember which candidate. Maybe that'll set you in the right direction to find out. Who knows, maybe it's a Clay?

Eat More Lobsta'

Now that's an interesting path to follow! Thanks for the tip on the winders! Seems like almost every spanish we dig down here is Mexico City Mint. Probably due to location. We're so far south that it's rare to dig a Philadelphia mint coin--and I think we've only dug one CC and no S or D mint coins!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds.

I don't think that's a Navy button but some type of Civvy one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Productive hunt in finds with lots of eyeball finds as well. Great post up Buck, always lots to view. Good to see you took some off to get a hunt under the belt.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up and awesome finds! My Fave is the Clay button. Im fascinated by early campaign tokens and buttons so it always awesome seeing these get unearthed. Congrats

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Great bunch of finds.

The verdict is still out on this button and we wonder because they shank appears top be a turret style. I value your opinion and want to figure this one out. Thank you....here is a picture of the back. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2102.JPG
    IMG_2102.JPG
    616.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well rewarded with finds you were! Spanish silver, the Dime, it's always great to dig silver but my fave finds are again the eyeballed finds like the beads, paste jewel, marble.... Congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds.

We are strongly suspecting Jacksonian (missing the applied rim).

Cheers,

Buck

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Moly man, what an incredible group of finds! That half dime is in superb condition, and four reales plus the campaign button. Congratulations-I bet that was a lot of fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread