Coinstar finds #5 - Let there be Peace

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds today. I'm not posting the 2 Ikes I grabbed because they are repeat dates. My kid sister is going to have fun with an Ike book one of these days :p However...what I did find, I really liked.

18767608_1424688274255549_4956167643603391165_n.jpg
18767749_1424868034237573_2534110851579378238_n.jpg

Peace Dollar: 1922 (x1) 1924 (x1)
Ike dollars: Random repeat dates (x8) 1976 (x1) 1976-D (x1)
Clad: $3+

2 wonderful Peace dollars. Amazing. The toning is similar, just 2 different lighting cases. I also gently rinsed the rust off of that second one. I shared most Ikes today with the friendly workers who opened the machines for me. To make Keith, and perhaps some other people, happier, I was more up-front about being a coin collector today with most of the people...some people needed some additional convincing. However, to my surprise, most places don't mind because a quick call to Coinstar says "yeah it's what you usually trash, so if they want it, let them". To be honest it varies from person to person, as well as store to store. Grocery store people tend to be nicer in my experiences, than the Wal-Mart ones, but Wal-Mart is where the better coins may be because well, Walmartians.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spectacular find! My credit union drives me nuts. They just seal the bag and send it off without looking!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gimme the address to this Coinstar. I want to check it out when I'm out traveling this summer. :laughing7: Congrats. Awesome finds.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coworker came into my hotel today...from just a quick glance she had a lot of silver coins and she intends to roll them and put them into the job safe. I'm going to have a lot of interesting posts in the near future. My manager and I made a quick guide to old coins and put it near the register.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang right dudes. I'm going to be doing more metal detecting because I'm only near one Coinstar at the moment and it isn't the high point of the season yet in my part of Maine :(

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now, I just wonder. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how long before this wonderful source suddenly is eliminated?
Why would I say that? Oh, I dunno, just life experience I suppose.

Enjoy it while you can folks.

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think so? People have posted lots of more expensive finds from the dirt cut. That's not so common knowledge that is years old. It would make no sense for CoinStar to not have a dirt cup anyways unless they change the way their machines work. Stores need to open those machines at least 2 times a week and CoinStar if you call them regarding the dirt cup says they don't care what you get from it since the machine thinks it's trash.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
here n north florida were I live .... we got lots of trunk drivers that for some reason drive to Canada ..oddly they used to love to dump the coins at the local Winn Dixie coin star ...well those steel Canadian coin stuck to the magnet clogging the tube a lot -- so I talked to the manager who just threw em away --I got her to "save em up for me"-- well I got about 60 buckis worth of "Canadian change" found a Canadian coin store that sold us silver coins --so took a few bucks and mailed them the money to buy us silver coins --including postage in Canadian -- once I got my silver us coins back --I sold a few to cover my up bound shipping money --the rest was "free silver coins"....sadly they have removed the coin star machine --the local rednecks are too cheap to use it for the most part sadly --except the house break in jerks that poured lots of stolen coins thru it --I scored some serious silver now and then

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think so? People have posted lots of more expensive finds from the dirt cut. That's not so common knowledge that is years old. It would make no sense for CoinStar to not have a dirt cup anyways unless they change the way their machines work. Stores need to open those machines at least 2 times a week and CoinStar if you call them regarding the dirt cup says they don't care what you get from it since the machine thinks it's trash.

Don't hold too much stock in what I say, sometimes. Just an ole fogey, figurin' the worst. But....I feel it's akin to what happened in California when someone first shouted "GOLD!" I feel that sooner or later, some other people, like the store clerks, the people at coinstar or even some higher up who happens to collect coins, just might decide....Hey! Why am I giving away these wonderful silver coins!

Then, it just might become company policy to collect ALL the "dirt" in those cups....for the President of the company's son/daughter/self.

The more we make a profitable "glitch" known, by posting, by telling clerks, by showing, the MORE the possibility that SOMEone is going to catch on and try to grab ALL. Just like the ones who happened to learn about it here and now make it a point to drive by and check every single one in their path. At each one, spreading the knowledge of .........."gold".

Just IMHO .....of course. But, the last thing I would do is call attention to the fact.....IF...that is...we'd like to have it available for a while longer.

Of course, I am usually just plain wrong. So, don't fret my worrywart words. But, if you start seeing where it's getting harder and harder to get someone to open the treasure chest. Just remember where you heard it first. (it'll make me feel more important. :tongue3: )

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar gold and silver has been a known thing for several years :p I wouldn't worry about it. I just teach my friends and cool people like you about the machines.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstar gold and silver has been a known thing for several years :p I wouldn't worry about it. I just teach my friends and cool people like you about the machines.

Yep. I believe the gold rush lasted a few years too. :dontknow:

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Monstarules
Question -- are you saying there is a different eject cup in the machine??

here is what i know--- coinstar machines i see here have a customer accessible return slot for coins that are ejected -- a magnet for non US coins and a dust bin for small items that the customer can see but it is definitely not for coins.

What dust bin am i missing-- where is it located?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Monsta....
I've always considered myself an accomplished reject tray scrounger.....
But you've given my ambition a whole new direction,

Three times this week I've gotten the goods from the dirt cup, including a silver charm with necklace!

Quickly becoming a professional scrounge...
Hats off to you sir.... GENIUS!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen that ever before from a coin star!! Wow!!! :icon_thumleft::coins::treasurechest::skullflag:

OP
OP
Monstarules

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dirt cup is inside the machines, lads. Keep on scrounging around!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread