Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Good Karma & Lost opportunity

Hey gang,

Just got back from my trip to New York state last night. I had planned to stay longer but the pickings were so slim I decided to cut it short. My original plan was to find a site that would yield some old stuff but that didn't pan out. The bank of the Erie Canal now contains railroad tracks and the large fill stones which hold the tracks! Guess my expectations were too high. The other places I found were historical and "off limits", CRAP! :( At least I had a nice visit.

The first day I visited my best buddy from high school and his brother in law who was also in our class. While I was talking about metal detecting my friend left the room and returned with two 14K rings, "Here, take these, I don't want them." One of the rings was his wedding band and the other was a ring his ex gave him...he dislikes her so much he doesn't want anything around to remind him of her. I told him to give them to one of his kids but he wouldn't think of it. "Either you take them or I throw them away!" So, being as I kinda like gold, I took them. ;D

Coins8-3a.jpg

After visiting with my friends it got to be around 5 p.m. so I headed out. Found a Burger King and looked at my hand drawn maps of local schools.

The first school I visited turned out to have small stones instead of the preferred wood chips; findings were slim. Now for the Good Karma part. A little skinny old lady came up to me and asked, "Have you seen a tan car?" There were no other cars near the school when I arrived...cars were arriving filled with baseball players but she hadn't arrived with them. "I came here to vote," she told me. Unbeknownst to her, the voting was the next day. I told her I hadn't seen her car and asked her where she had parked it. "By the high school," she answered. The high school was across the street so I gave her directions and she was on her way. Later I glanced up and she was talking to a group of ball players at the other end of the parking lot. I watched as she wandered away towards the school.

Finishing up on the "stone lot" I drove over to the high school and through the alley in back...no car. I saw the old lady as I left the school, she was walking toward the school in the alleyway next to the football field. "She's probably just a bit confused," I thought to myself as I drove away. Actually my thoughts were more around the lines of, "She's probably a nut case." I drove around the block and decided to go back and take a picture of the school as my sister and I had both attended when we were kids.

2007_0802Image0004.JPG

Lo and behold, a tan car!

I drove around the back of the school and the lady was shuffling along looking tired and bewildered. Rolling the window down I informed her, "Your car is around the other side of the school!" "Oh, thank you so much, I'm so tired!" "Come on, get in, I'll drive you there." I had no idea how steep and messed up the old, broken up, overgrown driveway was! What had possessed her to drive up it in the first place was beyond me. It was a single lane driveway and her car was facing mine so I turned it around...she was afraid to turn it around as the hill was too steep and I really didn't relish backing my car down the ramshakled driveway. When I returned to her she was holding out a 10 dollar bill. I convinced her to put it away and helped her into her car. "Drive carefully, the driveway isn't in the best of shape." She gave me God's blessings and I watched her drive away. She turned onto the road and drove up the road...I hope she knew where she was going!

My handdrawn map guided me to the next playground...ah! Wood chips! I just may have been the first to detect that school. Besides plenty of clad I found a Guardian Angel token and an Antique Car token. I'd been there about 1/2 hour when a black and white pulled into the school lot. I pretended not to notice. He parked for a few seconds behind my car (to check my plate?) then he drove back out and parked at the other end of the school...presumably watching me. He stayed there for about 1/2 hour before leaving. He may have been just enjoying a coffee and a donut, but I doubt it. Then two little girls showed up and began following me around. OK, now I'm getting uncomfortable. I cut the hunt short as it was getting towards dark anyway. I told the girls, "Don't be talking to strangers." I don't know if they realized that I was a stranger and they shouldn't have been talking to me.

Coins8-3e.jpg

The next day I called Swizzle. Jason (Swizzle) and I had talked on TN several times and he lived close to where I was visiting. He couldn't detect that day so we decided on the next day. I checked out a few places and couldn't find access to anywhere OLD. Tired of driving around and not finding anything I turned again to my maps and visited playgrounds. Not much at any of them. Had to leave one when a construction guy told me they were spraying the wood structures, didn't really matter much as it was stones and there wasn't much there.

Met Swizzle the next morning and he, I and his 4 year old, headed for Saratoga. We checked out several parks but again, they were OFF LiMITs! The schools weren't all that great either. Jason did find a silver ring with a pink stone. He called me over and pointed, "Look at that," There, outlined in the ground was the shape of a ring topped by a stone. He dug it up and examined it...sterling. Too bad neither of us thought to take a picture of it as it lay in the ground. The ring kind of made us even as shortly before that I did a little dance for the sterling St. Christopher medal that I found by the swings.

Here's Swizzle.

2007_0802Image0040.JPG
2007_0802Image0041.JPG
2007_0802Image0042.JPG

Other notable finds:

Coins8-3c.jpg
Coins8-3d.jpg
Coins8-3f.jpg

And the rest of the stuff (less around 114 pennies).

Coins8-3b.jpg
Coins8-3g.jpg

So, where was the lost opportunity? The High School. That particular school has been around a LONG time, my mother went there when she was in school in the 1930's (she was in class with Kirk Douglas's sister Mary). He was a couple years ahead of Mom and Mary. The school was there years before she attended. If I had just had my brain in gear after the old woman left I could have covered that whole area with my detector...WHO KNOWS WHAT I MISSED! I didn't think about it until I got in bed last night...WHAT A NIMNIL! ::)

I'm back home and ready to hit the schools around here where the pickings are lots better! Happy hunting all.

Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Re: Good Karma & Lost opportunity

that is a great story. It is sad that so many places are off limits to us detectorists.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

To bad about the off limit areas. However, you have some very nice finds there.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

I really like that antique car token..........that would've made my detecting day any day. Congrats on the finds.

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's

Great story and pictures. Looks like you did pretty good for everything being off limits. More and more places are getting that way, and it's a crying shame.

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5

The smaller of the two butterfly charms (not the pink one)....I found one exactly like that here at Virginia Beach. LOL. I immediately recognized it when I saw the pic.

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:'( Yes I Totally Agree a forum member lives just around the corner from me got permission to hunt an old farm here in shrewsbury thats great Because I have recently with in 2 days asked the town parks mgr can I Metal detect Yes she awnsered I was Think Great :o :o But Then WHAM! No Digging O SH :'( :'(
Many Sincere Thanks Garrettman64 :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Glad you had a good time Bob, nice pick up on the goldies.
Cool digs my friend, welcome home!!

Smiles!
BDoo

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's always nice to see what you can find in other parts of the country, but then again, sometimes it makes you appreciate what you've got at home.

That was a good deed you did for the old lady. I'm glad that her car wasn't "imaginary" ;D

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

You had some bad luck but I think you had more good luck. I really enjoyed the story along with the pictures. What a nice guy you were to help that lady and then NOT to take money for it. I admire you and hope good Karma comes your way soon. WTG

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

:o Bob, helping out that lady was the rewards we all share in this hobby. Makes the world a better place. Altho you found many places off limits just being there with old friends and reliving parts of your childhood memories makes your trip well worth the time you spent there. HH and may the rewards for you be many. :-*

Desertfox

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob, I think you missed the opportunity, Old Ladies usually live in Old Houses. You were in good with her, you should have asked to metal detect her yard. I think she would have enjoyed having you detect her place.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Glad I saw your post - great story. You really earned that guardian angel token for helping the old gal out.

There will be more opportunities in your MDing future so don't sweat it.

Nat

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil

Excellent assortment of finds. That makes for a great day. Keep us posted on your finds!

R

RUDY2003

Good story Prober!
Nice pile of coin too....

Keep safe...

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you think it was a coincidence that you found a "guardian angel" medal and a "car" token... After being that elderly lady's "guardian angel" and helping her find her "car"?

It's a good omen... you have to go back to that school and hunt!!!

Also it seems like I remember as a kid, my parents getting those car tokens from sunoco stations with a fill up. What's the back look like?

Thank you for the helping the elderly lady, she is somebodies mother, grandmother, sister, ect...

Greg

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Found these pics of some sunoco car tokens. circa 1968 to ???

greg

Attachments

• sunococartokens.jpg
    sunococartokens.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 200

gmstreet

Jul 29, 2007
Elkins, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sunoco tokens reverse.

Greg

Attachments

• sunococartokens2.jpg
    sunococartokens2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 203

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post! :) Wonderful of you to help an elderly lady in need! :-* Also great that you and Swizzle got to hunt together!

Congrats on your finds! Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread