Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Saturday evening, I received a text from "Brooklyn digger" inviting me to join him on a "Ring Finders" call. I gladly accepted. On Sunday morning, Jay picked me up around 8;30 A.M. There was literally no traffic and we got to Peekskill, N.Y. in about an hour.
The lost ring scenario was kind of strange. Two weeks earlier, two ladies sitting on their porch got into an argument. One of them grabbed the other's jewelry that was laying on a table on the porch, and ended up throwing it across the street in front of their property. The handful of 14kt white gold consisted of a necklace, a set of earrings, and a heavy ring. After the smoke cleared, they were able to retrieve the necklace and earring from the overgrown bushes but could not find the ring. Before we responded,the area was searched by another hobbyist with a metal detector, but he couldn't find the ring. The area where the jewelry had fallen was overgrown with weeds, shrubs, and bushes, some of which they had pulled out by the roots. Of course we checked those bushes first. It was also obvious that the site had been used as a dump for awhile. There was evidence of bricks, discarded furniture, and all sorts of metal items, including an old bedspring. In addition, there was standing water with swarms of mosquitoes, and I have no doubt, there were some ticks in there. Well we hit it for about an hour but we both knew,, this search would have to wait until the winter after all the vegetation and skeeters die off.
Since we weren't too far from my sister's house, who lives in Putnam County, I suggested we take a ride over to a park where I had found some silver in previous hunts..
We arrived at the park at 11;00 A.M. I immediately headed for the areas around a few old trees. My first coin was a deep wheat. Since deciding to dig all "98" signals on the DEUS, I have been getting some nice targets. After about an hour into the hunt, I heard Jay proclaim, "Silver!"
I went over to where he had just finished digging out a Mercury Dime and mentioned rechecking the hole. Sure enough, he got another signal with his Garrett Carrot. Then he starts yelling, "IT'S A BARBER!" Yep, sitting in the hole , staring up at us was a 1915 Barber Quarter. I took a picture and congratulated him on his Silver Coin Spill. Very nice,,
About an hour later, I dug out a 1936 Mercury dime just as my sister was walking to me. I had called her when we arrived at the park. It was so funny. Jay was thinking, "Here we go,, a Crazy Park Lady is going to break our chops about digging." He was so surprised when I introduced him to my sister.
I dug out a total of 7 Wheat Pennies, with the oldest being a 1910, and a crusty button. The button cleaned up nice and turned out to be a Boy Scouts of America but with the slogan "Be Prepared" on it.
Although we couldn't complete our original mission by finding the lost ring, we still managed to salvage a good day of metal detecting and we both got some silver. It was nice to see my sister and I ended up having a great day.

The coin in the hole turned out to be a 1915 Barber Quarter
IMG_6766.JPG IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG IMG_6765.JPG

I cleaned up the Plumb bob by letting it soak in White Vinegar overnight
IMG_6764.JPG IMG_6761.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 15
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting, congratulations! :occasion14:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silvers, the plumb turned out well.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good attempt at the ring recovery. The story sounds kind of fishy to me. Since another "hobbyist" had attempted the rescue before you makes me wonder if they just pocketed the ring. Not trying to think the worst of folks especially in our own community but, just sayin'. At least you got together with your sister and ya'll found some cool stuff. I love the Boy Scout button. I have quite a few neck tie bands from various rankings but, not a single boy scout button I can recall. Now on my bucket list as a way cool target. Funny how you pranked your buddy with your sister's presence. Gotta' have some fun along the way.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good attempt at the ring recovery. The story sounds kind of fishy to me. Since another "hobbyist" had attempted the rescue before you makes me wonder if they just pocketed the ring. Not trying to think the worst of folks especially in our own community but, just sayin'. At least you got together with your sister and ya'll found some cool stuff. I love the Boy Scout button. I have quite a few neck tie bands from various rankings but, not a single boy scout button I can recall. Now on my bucket list as a way cool target. Funny how you pranked your buddy with your sister's presence. Gotta' have some fun along the way.
On the car ride up to Peekskill, I shared with Jay about how I searched a small yard in Paducah, Kentucky for an engagement ring. The young lady had gotten into an argument with her fiancé and threw the ring at him but then couldn't find it. She had filed a report with The Lost My Stuff Group and someone else searched the yard before me. It was a small yard and there is no reason why I shouldn't have been able to find it. Especially after a 4 hour search. I left thinking that the previous searcher may not have been honest. When we heard the story from these 2 ladies about how the ring got lost and that someone else had searched before us,, we got a little suspicious also.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey my neck of the woods!! Didn't see your text till the next day thanks for trying to get in touch with me.

Great attempt at the ring recovery, I'll get the information from you since I'm local maybe I can help when the weeds are down in the winter.

Congrats on your silver finds your day turned out great!

HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! :occasion14:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT