South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've headed into the woods this year and have had a lot of fun and some success. Here is what my favorite foundation site looks like now. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496089653.160492.jpg
Weeds are now waste high and still growing. The winter/spring spoiled me with the carpet of leaves and no foliage allowing easy access. I was only able to pull one silver, 1950 GW and 4 wheats.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1496089883.140201.jpg Still gets my heart pumping to see the the silver edge emerging from the dirt. Silver to wheat ratio 26:94 FTY.

There are still some areas where there is not enough sun penetration for the weeds to grow, so these spots seem like obvious targets and I think I might try my luck at some stream wading. Any other good strategies out there besides hiring a crop duster and finding some agent orange?

FYI, ran into another TNet'er in the woods today. He was searching for points. Fun to meet other enthusiasts when hunting and to chat TNet.

Good luck out there!

Upvote 12

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver. Some have used a sheet of plywood to knock the weeds down. I prefer the weed eater with the bush blade. I've also used a bush hog on the back of the small tractor, cut out a 12" gap in the housing, works like a giant lawnmower.

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn man! That's a bit "extreme". LOL ! If it was my property and I owned such implements of destruction I'd level the vegetation and remove a good six inches of dirt and see what that gets me for finds. Love this sight.:headbang:

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I am feeling a bit lost right now with my fields being planted and the woods overgrown. I reckon I'll be hitting the street curbs and sidewalks wherever it looks like the neighbors won't call the cops on me.:BangHead: Little parks and public spots that don't get much attention away from the main heavy traffic area parks. Stay away from Monsanto and their poison. Lot's a good men, women, and children died from their nasty "non toxic" agent orange.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the finds! :occasion14: Keep at it and watch the ticks, they are everywhere! :BangHead:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratualtions on the finds! :occasion14: Keep at it and watch the ticks, they are everywhere! :BangHead:

The tics were bad in my area in Mar/April, would have to brush of 2 or 3 before I got in the car. Not bad now for some reason. Poison ivy is another issue, but figured out what to wear and a post hunt wash ritual seems to work. The flying insects are my nemesis. The deer flys are very aggressive this year and will bite through clothing even with repellent.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going on the silver. Some have used a sheet of plywood to knock the weeds down. I prefer the weed eater with the bush blade. I've also used a bush hog on the back of the small tractor, cut out a 12" gap in the housing, works like a giant lawnmower.

I've seen the plywood technique, looks like a great method for fields, I'm in very hilly terrain, so not sure it would work, but my DD coil is pretty heavy and works a bit like a weed wacker.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, and only if it were an extremely productive site, I would knock down and cut out 20 foot by 20 foot sections. Good luck and be careful with the bugs.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With some ceramic blades you might be on to something for grassy stuff..... haha

Can you imagine? With some sort of circulating ceramic blades, "Hello! I see your weeds are a little high. Want me to whack them for you? :angel2: "

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you imagine? With some sort of circulating ceramic blades, "Hello! I see your weeds are a little high. Want me to whack them for you? :angel2: "

Shut up and take my money! haha that would be a handy tool right there

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If an area is giving up the goods, I'll devote a day to clearing a 25' x 30' space with a machete, gasoline weed whacker, and garden rake. :skullflag:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol! I think he maybe onto something! That could take down the weeds & then some!

I was once accused of weed wacking....on a beach! Not sure why they thought that, but i must have been doing a heck of a job! Nothing green growing at all around there! Lol!

Great silver & wheat! Congrats!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the smell of napalm in the morning :laughing7:

or maybe a flamethrower is available on Ebay :dontknow: