Loads of stones I know nothing about...

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've attached a few pictures of rocks I know nothing about. All popped out of the same 20'x10' area on a farm in Virginia. The minerals outside that small perimeter are nothing like these. The larger rocks have carved out finger areas so your hand fits like a glove.

Any ideas what period they might be from? There's a rock that looks like a clovis base which was also found with the others. Can someone confirm if this is partial Clovis? If so, I wonder if this area was a Paleo camp at one point. But, again, Native American is new to me. The craftsmanship is crude, for sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-David

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 5

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me to be a mix of a few artifacts, plus chipped off pieces that I call wasters (bits that come off whilst producing tools) & natural. All needs a good sort.

OP
OP
kyphote

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me to be a mix of a few artifacts, plus chipped off pieces that I call wasters (bits that come off whilst producing tools) & natural. All needs a good sort.

Thanks, can you or anyone else opine on the point in the center in that pic with three stones? What family of points it belongs to? Thanks again.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like there's a few good ones mixed in. First photo 4 rows up, 4 rows over starting from the lower left corner of the photo, looks like a real nice point. You have to look for the Knapping of the piece.

OP
OP
kyphote

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Is this the best forum to post questions regarding possible paleolithic items? A lot of the larger stones kind of "fit like a glove" and have areas that appear to be ground out to provide both grip and comfort. One stone I'm nearly certain had human contact is the bottom stone in column 2, picture 2. It has an unnatural contour that allows it to fit snugly in my hand. Sharp, too. Maybe a skinning tool? Normally I wouldn't look twice at stones like this, but given that so much clearly worked stone (pic 1) are packed into such a small patch of ground, I'm paying closer attention to stones in the same small space that aren't your typical "cartoonish" type points. When I step out of this "hot zone," the arrowheads and suspicious stones both disappear. Kind of joined at the hip so to speak.

If this is a paleo camp, I'm thinking the cruder stones could be tools. This is why I was asking if the broken arrowhead pic 1, row 1, fifth from the left could be a fluted Clovis base. This would suggest Paleo period, and paleo period means tools made out of split river and field rock, crude skinners, and other stuff that closely resembles -- but with subtle, important distinctions -- naturally forming stone.

Thanks again for your help -- if there's a better forum for these kinds of questions, just let me know!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. Is this the best forum to post questions regarding possible paleolithic items? A lot of the larger stones kind of "fit like a glove" and have areas that appear to be ground out to provide both grip and comfort. One stone I'm nearly certain had human contact is the bottom stone in column 2, picture 2. It has an unnatural contour that allows it to fit snugly in my hand. Sharp, too. Maybe a skinning tool? Normally I wouldn't look twice at stones like this, but given that so much clearly worked stone (pic 1) are packed into such a small patch of ground, I'm paying closer attention to stones in the same small space that aren't your typical "cartoonish" type points. When I step out of this "hot zone," the arrowheads and suspicious stones both disappear. Kind of joined at the hip so to speak.

If this is a paleo camp, I'm thinking the cruder stones could be tools. This is why I was asking if the broken arrowhead pic 1, row 1, fifth from the left could be a fluted Clovis base. This would suggest Paleo period, and paleo period means tools made out of split river and field rock, crude skinners, and other stuff that closely resembles -- but with subtle, important distinctions -- naturally forming stone.

Thanks again for your help -- if there's a better forum for these kinds of questions, just let me know!
North American Indian Artifacts
Should be some people in here who can help with the detailed questions.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
post on the NA artifacts forum and give us close ups of the ones you suspect are good...one at a time, not in a group.

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knapping site. Couple pre forms. Some residual stuff. See a point in there near the middle. Nice finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread